U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 797 times
Default moving to new york city from abroad

Hey people, I'm currently living abroad in Central america and am moving to New York in June. I'm moving with my wife and we're looking to live as frugally as possible. I'm thinking like renting a room for about $500-650 as seen in Craigslist. The only problem is, so far I haven't an American bank account, I have enough money for rent and a security deposit, but no proof of employment obviously if I've just arrived and no references in NY really to back me up. How Could I get around this when trying top rent a place and prove that I do have the money for a deposit and months rent without so much hassle. Would anyone renting a room accept cash?THANKS FOR ANY HELP AND/OR ADVICE.

HERVEY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 03:50 PM

6,891 posts, read 11,379,756 times
If you speak Spanish, just concentrate your search in the Spanish-speaking neighborhoods. Physically go there and look for signs posted on lampposts and in grocery stores. I can't imagine these low-end rentals would not take cash.

One thing, though -- if you see a room advertised for $600, don't be so certain the rent is going to be $600 for a couple. Think about it -- with more people using the bathroom and kitchen, why would the price be the same for an individual as well as a couple?

Last edited by Henna; 04-08-2011 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 05:51 PM

8,081 posts, read 10,647,565 times
Are you a US citizen? If not, you can't just up and move to NYC without an employer sponsoring your Visa.

And unless you & your wife plan to live in an 8x10 room in someone else's apartment (like, live with them), your $500-600/mo rent dreams are crazy!!! You'll need about $1,000 MINIMUM to rent a very small studio (1 room) apartment in Queens or a safer neighborhood in the Bronx or Brooklyn.

Re-think the plan or end up homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City