U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:36 PM

40,059 posts, read 20,043,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
ok with the storms and torandos as close as the Va state and have you rethink your plans about puting something away for a rainy day in the future
Are those storms of the apocalyptic variety? Because if they aren't...we've seen storms here before. There's not much reason to think these are going to bring down our civilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 PM

8,364 posts, read 11,439,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
Since the EarthQuake in Japan was bought up here on this forum i going to have to asked this question about you basic survival plans

1-do have a plan to get out of the city by walking and do you have the maps and routes planned out and labeled on a 3-x-5 card then sealed in plastic to protect them and then put onto a keyring for travel and you can look at them to follow ..

you must have at least four routes pre planned out and another four as back up routes out of the city if those routes are not useable ..so do you have the routes planed out for travel without useing a battie powered phone or gps unit only useing a map and compass and the pre planned routes out of the city

also you need a pair of broken in shoes that can be used in any weather walking in needed if that is the only option you have to get out of the city

2-do you have enough food and water along with a way to cook the items if power has failed and you are stuck in your place for 7 to 14 days of the basic supplies for that long stay inside the apt

the space under your bed can hold enough food and basic supplies for at least three to four months of liveing with a little planning and the right rubbermaid stowage tubs filled with supplies and camping gear items ..

3-do you have a way to keep warm in the winter time if the power goes out and you need to hole up in the city for at least a week in the city before beening able to travel ..

4-do you have a bag packed for those just in case problems that might happen and you have to leave the city for so many days after a event

i keep a small bag packed with cloths and personal meds and money inside the bag to last about one weeks before i need to do laundry and get more money from the atm and by then somethings should be normal

5-do you know how to turn off the gas and water or electrical into your building to keep from blowing up or electrical sparking a gas fire or water damage to your place ..

and do you have to the tools to do it inside the basic tool kit inside you apt

6-do you have a basic first aid kit with the trauma supplies to help your and the people around you

aslo do you know how to use the items in the first aid kit and do you have basic knowage of first aid and how to perfrom cpr on a person or a baby if need be ..

7-do you have a way of keeping yourself clean and useing the toliet without water and stewage running in the apt building

8-do you have a way to protect yourself from people comeing to take what is yours after the earthquake ..this a really more for the ladys than the men in that area

9-do you have a way to secured your apt and make it hard for the socalled street trash to get in ..

have planned a piece of plywood with nails in front of the door or window as step on it they step onto the nails ..

save the plywood and nails by themself and after the earthquake has happen then put togerther

10-do you have a way simple basic lighting dureing the night to keep one spirts up

this one is more for family and couples do you have board games and other forms of games to keep one mind off the problem intill you can get out of the place and see what going out after the problem

This are things you might want to think about if a EarthQuake hit the city and you had to be able to basically live semi comfortable intill help came onto to the scene

belive it better to have some things allready than have to wait intill the last moment and go i should have this after the fact
How much does all that sh*t weigh??? And you carry it around with you all day?

What happens if the island splits in half on a cross street and you can't get from where you are to your apartment with packed bag, food supply, etc?

In all seriousness,

I had an emergency plan with my boyfriend & his family when I lived in Manhattan. We were there for 9/11 and the blackout, so it was common sense to have some sort of a plan.

We had a meeting place should a disaster happen & we need to leave the city. We also had a meeting place a good ways outside the city where we would all meet after getting out of Manhattan.

We had 2 ways to get out of the city should mass transit be down (car + feet).

We had about $500 in cash in his apartment, plus whatever we each had on us (another $200ish total) in case ATMs werent' useable.

His mom always sent him boxes of PB, crackers, tuna fish, bottled water out of paranoia, so yes, we would have had a week or two's worth of food if we were stuck inside the city.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,741,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
How much does all that sh*t weigh??? And you carry it around with you all day?

What happens if the island splits in half on a cross street and you can't get from where you are to your apartment with packed bag, food supply, etc?

In all seriousness,

I had an emergency plan with my boyfriend & his family when I lived in Manhattan. We were there for 9/11 and the blackout, so it was common sense to have some sort of a plan.

We had a meeting place should a disaster happen & we need to leave the city. We also had a meeting place a good ways outside the city where we would all meet after getting out of Manhattan.

We had 2 ways to get out of the city should mass transit be down (car + feet).

We had about $500 in cash in his apartment, plus whatever we each had on us (another $200ish total) in case ATMs werent' useable.

His mom always sent him boxes of PB, crackers, tuna fish, bottled water out of paranoia, so yes, we would have had a week or two's worth of food if we were stuck inside the city.
if i can not get back to the apt to the supplies that i have there ..part of the socalled get out of town plan i have made is basically leave with everything on my back and then try to make across one of the bridges out of the city by foot..

inside my daypack i carry a small nylon bag filled with extra money in small bills to use as need to get out of town and everything i bought for the apt is design to be left behind if need to get out of the city

Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 PM

40,059 posts, read 20,043,737 times
What a strange way to live--always thinking that some kind of earth-shattering disaster is right around the corner.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 PM

8,364 posts, read 11,439,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
What a strange way to live--always thinking that some kind of earth-shattering disaster is right around the corner.
No kidding! It's one thing to have a general "disaster game plan" as those of us who experienced 9/11 or the blackout can attest to. It's entirely another to carry around an extra pair of shoes, enough food & water to cook/eat for several days, escape maps, ziplock baggies of ID papers, etc.

Even during the blackout- before I was convinced it wasn't terrorist related- I managed to walk 90 blocks home in the shoes I wore to work that day, have enough cash on me to buy water and snacks/ dinner food without needing an ATM, and was even prepared to walk across the GW or Bronx-bound bridges to the "mainland" if needed. I wasn't "prepared for disaster". I was a New Yorker on a regular ole Thursday in August. It's not rocket science.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:50 PM

8 posts, read 6,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There's always rat kebab or honey-roasted roaches.
Eww!! lol...

Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
No kidding! It's one thing to have a general "disaster game plan" .. I was a New Yorker on a regular ole Thursday in August. It's not rocket science.
i have all those items inside the apt not on me it was a basic plan to get out of area and to get somewhere where safe..

My post about the shoes in the daypack is that i started to have problems with my feet now with all the years of standing on my feet for my job and i basically now carry my dress work shoes in my daypack over wearing them dureing walk to work and home and given the basic fact my feet are no longer at there best and i need to care better care of them now ..

plus given the fact that i walk more there i have ever did in any other place i have lived and i learned to carry my dress shoes for the office in a daypack with me wearing my broken in hikeing boots for the walk ..

Old 04-19-2011, 01:27 AM

8,533 posts, read 7,883,771 times
My question is in case of a disaster or a national crisis, how would you guys try to make it to the american mainlanf if federal authorties along with state and local lockdown manhattan and other non mainland areas like queens and staten island? How would you guys try to evacuate a island in full panic mode?

Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
My question is in case of a disaster or a national crisis, how would you guys try to make it to the american mainlanf if federal authorties along with state and local lockdown manhattan and other non mainland areas like queens and staten island? How would you guys try to evacuate a island in full panic mode?
That is a great question and i was hopeing that what i carrying in my pocket will get me past some of the lockdown area inside the city ..

Old 04-19-2011, 08:01 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,445,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I wouldn't. My plan is to stay put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City