Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 02:53 PM

153 posts, read 416,632 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if it's realistic for me to move to NYC. I've never been but have been told alot about it by people that have visited. I'm not gonna even get into that because I'm sure you've heard all those stereotypes a mil times and new yorkers seem to get pissed when they hear em again.

The reason I'm wondering if its realistic is that I can't seem to find a studio online for the price range I want which is around 800 a month. I've heard of living with a roommate and barely taking any of your belongings but is that the way you have to live if you move over?

And then there's the commute. I obviously would have to live in a nearby borough like Queens or Brooklyn but I worry about how hectic and long the commute would have to be everyday. I've looked into Astoria and it didn't look too bad but then I started seeing pics of it on google earth and it looked ghetto. Maybe I was just looking at a bad part...

And lastly I wonder if it's possible to move to NYC and still be peaceful, happy, etc. and not the stereotypical neurotic, overworked NYorker. I'm asking to be enlightened since as I said I've never been so please don't pounce on me lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:28 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Didn't you ask this under a different name.

How did you arrive at $800?

What job are you anticipating?

How much money do you have?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post
I'm wondering if it's realistic for me to move to NYC. I've never been but have been told alot about it by people that have visited. I'm not gonna even get into that because I'm sure you've heard all those stereotypes a mil times and new yorkers seem to get pissed when they hear em again.

The reason I'm wondering if its realistic is that I can't seem to find a studio online for the price range I want which is around 800 a month. I've heard of living with a roommate and barely taking any of your belongings but is that the way you have to live if you move over?

And then there's the commute. I obviously would have to live in a nearby borough like Queens or Brooklyn but I worry about how hectic and long the commute would have to be everyday. I've looked into Astoria and it didn't look too bad but then I started seeing pics of it on google earth and it looked ghetto. Maybe I was just looking at a bad part...

And lastly I wonder if it's possible to move to NYC and still be peaceful, happy, etc. and not the stereotypical neurotic, overworked NYorker. I'm asking to be enlightened since as I said I've never been so please don't pounce on me lol
No, it's not realistic to think about moving when you've never been to visit. The only way it would make sense to even think about living here without having visited first is if you had a well-paid job lined up.

And yes, parts of the outer boroughs -- even parts where one bedroom condos are selling for $500K -- can look very dingy and beat up. That's the way it goes.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:55 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
You don't sound ready. Also how can you consider a move to a place you've never even visited?

You won't survive very long in NYC if you don't have a plan. Doors open and things happen for people with plans, so work on that first.

P.S. - if you do end up moving here, be prepared to work. New Yorkers are worked to the bone in every industry and every job. If you slack off, there is a long line up of replacements at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City