Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 AM

110 posts, read 222,147 times

Advertisements

Ok. I've been planning this visit, my 1st, to NYC for 2 years, I've got most of my activities mapped out except for my time in The Bronx. Due to time constraints I'll only be able to spend 24hrs in ths part of New York. I'll be there in Aug/Sept but don't really fancy a night watching the Yankees. I'd appreciate any advice on what to see, where to go, what to do? etc, etc. Please feel free to recommend bars, restaurants, streets, neighborhoods, clubs etc.

On a slightly different note, is The Cloisters worth a visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
The Cloisters is definitely worth a visit.

In The Bronx,you should see The Bronx Zoo,The NY Botanical Garden,Little Italy and City Island.The first 3 places are all within walking distance of each other so you could go to The Zoo or The Botanical Garden in the AM,have lunch in one of the Italian restaurants on Arthur Avenue and then go to the other place in the afternoon.After that you could head over to City Island in the evening for dinner.This would make a very full day in The Bronx!

Bronx Zoo: Saving Wildlife and Wild Places

New York Botanical Garden

Arthur Avenue, Little Italy In the Bronx, New York

cityisland (http://www.forgotten-ny.com/YOU'D%20NEVER%20BELIEVE/cityisland/cityisland.html - broken link)

Old 04-19-2011, 08:13 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Hmm....24 hours in the Bronx is not enough! Here is a list of some things to see. You can probably group them by location to do as much as possible, but these are just off the top of my head. Many New Yorkers don't even know about alot of these:

1. Yankee Stadium in the Concourse The Official Site of The New York Yankees | yankees.com: Homepage

2. Bronx Zoo Bronx Zoo: Saving Wildlife and Wild Places

3. Botanical Gardens New York Botanical Garden

4. Eat at Arthur Ave in Belmont (Little Italy of the Bronx) Arthur Avenue, Little Italy In the Bronx, New York

5. Wave Hill Gardens in Riverdale Wave Hill: New York Public Garden and Cultural Center (http://www.wavehill.org/home/ - broken link)

6. Have some beers in a classic Irish pub in Woodlawn (Irish enclave)

7. See a show at the Pregones Theater in Mott Haven Pregones Theater - Teatro Pregones, off-Broadway shows, Latino Theater, Latino theatre, new york shows, New York, shows, Hispanic, Latino culture, stage shows, plays, stage plays, musicals, latino plays, latino theater, Hispanic theatre

8. Check out the Bronx Museum by Yankee Stadium Bronx Museum | Home

9. Take the Bronx Trolley tour of the artist district (free) in Mott Haven
I Love The Bronx!

10. Check out Pelham Bay Park (the largest park in the city) with many historic sites and nature/outdoor activities Pelham Bay Park : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

11. Visit City Island, an historic New England fishing village with excellent seafood City Island Bronx New York

12. Visit the Edgar Allen Poe Cottage by Fordham Edgar Allan Poe Cottage

13. See a show/concert at the beautiful, historic and recently renovated Loews Paradise Theater in Fordham Welcome to the Paradise Theater

14. Have beer break/lunch (or happy hour) at Bruckner Bar & Grill in Mott Haven Bruckner Bar & Grill - Home

15. Take some great photos of historic and landmarked brownstones in Mott Haven and Longwood
http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/download...C_DISTRICT.pdf (history, and pictures at the end)
http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/download...C_DISTRICT.pdf (history)
http://www.neighborhoodpreservationc...ion-Report.pdf (history, pictures not the best)

16. Visit the Fieldston Historic District in Riverdale featuring estate sized multi-million dollar homes
Fieldston Historic District | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/emilio_guerra/4303826572/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 04-29-2011, 04:58 PM

Great advice guys, I can't wait to explore this borough. Due to all the negatives I've been reading about certain sections of The Bronx I'm gonna vto devote more than 1 day of my visit to exploring it for myself.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:33 PM

17 posts, read 65,863 times
Good list but I would scratch #14 and 15 off the list. Mott Haven is VERY dangerous right now. Shootings and robberies are becoming very common. A tourist would be easy to spot.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryScience View Post
Good list but I would scratch #14 and 15 off the list. Mott Haven is VERY dangerous right now. Shootings and robberies are becoming very common. A tourist would be easy to spot.
Thanks for this advice. Am I likely to be targeted because I'm a tourist? Why? To rob me of the few bucks in my pocket? Or just because I'm a tourist? I always thought that most crime was gang/drug related not so much random stuff.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:11 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaz View Post
Thanks for this advice. Am I likely to be targeted because I'm a tourist? Why? To rob me of the few bucks in my pocket? Or just because I'm a tourist? I always thought that most crime was gang/drug related not so much random stuff.
It is mostly gang related , but they do attack non gang members from time to time....so stay out of the bad neighborhoods , this goes for all the boroughs.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryScience View Post

Mott Haven has become hot lately, I can atest to that because I live the area. It has been in the news alot on a weekly basis in terms of crime for muggings, robberies, and murders and lets not forget about the Corrupt cops in the famous 40th precient. Heaven and Hell does really exist in this part of the Bronx. However Mott Haven has some intresting history btw. For one Mott Haven was initially the begining of the BRonx. Signer of the decleration of independence Lewis Morris is from Mott Haven and he is still buried at St Anns Church in Mott Haven. The begninings of our country happened in Mott Haven dude. THe dome for Capitol hill was built in Mott Haven and so was the Lincoln Memorial. I suggest a historical tour of the area. Even its Catholic Churches with St Jeromes Byzantine Style to St Pius Neo Romanesque style and the churches served as refuge and community organizing for Germans, Irish, Italians, Puerto Ricans and now Mexicans. Also check at Bruckner boulevard for some hipster and hip hop art and decent eateries and maybe a tattoo at the end of the day. Again if your going to Visit Mott Haven come during the day or make it your first stop in the BRonx since Mott haven is always the first stop in the Bronx by subway. Sometimes Mott Haven might be the first thing you see while approaching runway 13 at LGA thats if your lucky enough.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 04-30-2011 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Somebody recommend this guy a good Spanish restaurant.....con chuletas con sabor!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-01-2011, 03:26 PM

383 posts, read 1,315,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaz View Post
This is true, but somtimes gang members or just some random person wants to make quick buck. They notice your not from the area so they rob you for what ever you've got. So Mott Haven is a no, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City