U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,393,967 times
Default What are your favorite and least favorite neighborhoods in New York City!?

These are some of my favorite neighborhoods in New York City!

In Manhattan: Upper West Side, East Village, Soho, Upper East Side, Tribeca, West Village, Most of Midtown, Financial District, Chelsea.

In Brooklyn:Park Slope, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Bay Ridge.

In Queens: Astoria, Jackson Heights

In Staten Island: St George, New Brighton, Stapleton

In Bronx: Riverdale

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are some of my least favorite neighborhoods in NYC:

In the Bronx: All the neighborhoods along the 4/D subway line areas, and 2/5 subway lines as well as some along the 6 train line
(Some of the neighborhoods in this region: Tremont, Fordham, Kingsbridge, Morrisania, Mott Haven, Wakefield).

In Brooklyn: Crown Heights, East New York, Parts of Bed-Stuy.

In Queens: The far eastern part of Queens in a neighborhood called Jamaica.

In Staten Island: Tottenville and Bullshead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 AM

488 posts, read 383,109 times
Favorite: Flushing. So many types of different, authentic asian foods, feels like a culinary adventure overseas.

Least Favorite: Aside from the ghettoes, Upper East Side. Sterile and no personality.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Favorite: Flushing. So many types of different, authentic asian foods, feels like a culinary adventure overseas.

Least Favorite: Aside from the ghettoes, Upper East Side. Sterile and no personality.

Upper East Side having no personality and being sterile? Seriously?

The Upper East Side has The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim museum, lots of awesome density and buildings, lots of great restaurants of all types of cuisine. Some of the best highs schools in NYC(such as Urban Peace Academy, Talent Unlimited). Upper East Side is expensive but it most certainly has lots of personality and is far from sterile.

However, Flushing still sounds nice. I like that area of Queens.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:38 AM

7,955 posts, read 6,555,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
These are some of my favorite neighborhoods in New York City!

In Manhattan: Upper West Side, East Village, Soho, Upper East Side, Tribeca, West Village, Most of Midtown, Financial District, Chelsea.

In Brooklyn:Park Slope, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Bay Ridge.

In Queens: Astoria, Jackson Heights

In Staten Island: St George, New Brighton, Stapleton

In Bronx: Riverdale

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are some of my least favorite neighborhoods in NYC:

In the Bronx: All the neighborhoods along the 4/D subway line areas, and 2/5 subway lines as well as some along the 6 train line
(Some of the neighborhoods in this region: Tremont, Fordham, Kingsbridge, Morrisania, Mott Haven, Wakefield).

In Brooklyn: Crown Heights, East New York, Parts of Bed-Stuy.

In Queens: The far eastern part of Queens in a neighborhood called Jamaica.

In Staten Island: Tottenville and Bullshead.
Why dont you say the whole entire Bronx except Riverdale. Hey you also failed the mention City Island has some good food up there.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Why dont you say the whole entire Bronx except Riverdale. Hey you also failed the mention City Island has some good food up there.
Do you agree that most of the Bronx has some of the worst neighborhoods in New York City?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM

7,955 posts, read 6,555,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Do you agree that most of the Bronx has some of the worst neighborhoods in New York City?
No not entirely! IF thats the case dont come to a Yankee Game my friend, woot for the Mets by Flushing!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:47 PM

650 posts, read 528,387 times
what about that Little Italy part of the Bronx, with the market? Belmont/Arthur Ave I think

Old 04-19-2011, 01:01 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,168,051 times
Worst part of the city - the area between Chelsea and Hell's kitchen. The hood meets transplants from Idaho.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:03 PM

11 posts, read 36,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Thats the same thing I said when I read the original post. Seems like you hate every part of the bronx except Riverdale lol

Just wondering, why would you hate the Bronx yet like Park Slope and Williamsburg? Not every part of Park Slope is great, there are definitely parts that look exactly like 3rd avenue in the Bronx.

Try exploring new parts of the Bronx like Pelham Bay and City Island

Old 04-19-2011, 02:12 PM

56 posts, read 59,916 times
Favourite:

East Village, along with Soho, Bowery and the area around NYU.

I love the areas of the Bronx that aren't actually dangerous (Which is more of it than a lot of people seem to think.)

Least favourite:

The area between the lower west side and Hell's kitchen is relatively boring, it wants to be the hood, but it's not quite scary enough.

I tend to feel less safe in Chinatown than the rest of the city because of the density and overall seediness of the people there.

I can't stand a lot of Midtown. Most of the famous sights are underwhelming, aside from Grand Central Station. There's nowhere to eat apart from chains and bland tourist traps, and everything is overpriced.

I've never really been a fan of Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City