U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 02:52 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,359,617 times

Advertisements

Woman Stabbed in Head with Pen on 3 Train at Chambers Street

Quote:
An unidentified woman, believed to be 45 years old was taken to New York Hospital Downtown following the attack at roughly 9:15 a.m., police said. The woman had been inside a downtown 3 train as it pulled into the Chambers Street station when she was attacked, according to the MTA and police.
Quote:
"He started pulling out his lighter, she was the only one who noticed it. She said 'don't do it, I don't want to smell it,' ... they were yelling and just pushing one another," said Ronethea Williams, 27, of Harlem, who was on the train during the attack.
"After he slashed her, blood was coming down the middle of her face. Blood was everywhere, to the point where you had to look away," Williams added, saying the victim continued to struggle with the man in an attempt to get the weapon out of his hand.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 03:12 PM

8,750 posts, read 16,052,384 times
And the point? Shouldn't this be in the crime thread?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:38 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,021,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well, other than perhaps asking the question of: "What could CONCEIVABLY make you think it is remotely OK to engage in a discussion on proper subway etiquette with a NYC homeless person?". I'm right there with a bunch of people on honoring and protecting my personal space - but sometimes ya gotta figure that maybe changing subway cars might be the better way to go. I'm just sayin' ...

Old 04-19-2011, 05:34 PM

2,867 posts, read 4,150,910 times
Didn't Bloomburg once say he was counting on New Yorkers to help enforce the no smoking bans? But, smoking inside a subway car, I don't think I've seen that since probably the 70's. You really never know who you're confronting out there. Sometimes even the most normal looking people turn out to be the most bazaar!

Old 04-19-2011, 05:52 PM

6 posts, read 9,082 times
Awful. Unfortunately, last week a bus driver was attacked for asking someone to put out a cigarette on his bus in Boston.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:30 PM

86 posts, read 199,189 times
In the 5 months since ive lived in NYC and ridden the subway, Ive only said something remotely confrontational to someone once...because the guy elbowed me in the head 6 times (yes, I counted). He was standing next to me and I was sitting in an end seat. After the 6th time, I said calmly "could you please stop elbowing me in the head?." He apologized and stopped. But you never know what kind of a psycho youre gonna run into...i couldve gotten into an argument or stabbed with a pen. You just never know.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 PM

11,286 posts, read 21,744,561 times
The story changes quite a bit depending on where you read it. In one version, he is waving a lighter around, and it's when she tried to grab it from him that he stabs her with the pencil. Two wrongs do not make a right. He should not have been smoking. She should not have tried to steal his lighter.

Also, in the version linked to above, "Blood was everywhere, to the point where you had to look away" In another she was taken to the hospital, where she was "treated for a minor flesh wound." Sure, both could be true - a minor injury can sometimes cause what looks like a lot of blood, but as we can see here, the reporting is what makes the story sensational.

I would tell the woman to mind her own business and if someone does something illegal on the train, get off and look for the conductor. Or get off, write down the car number and call the transit police. But don't fight with someone who could have become homeless through mental instability. It's just not smart.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:45 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,520,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Not a good pun, considering the weapon used.

Pretty soon, someone will decide that pens are potential weapons, and must not be carried around in public. (I hope the Mayor doesn't follow this forum!)

Old 04-20-2011, 10:31 AM

234 posts, read 631,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Pretty soon, someone will decide that pens are potential weapons, and must not be carried around in public. (I hope the Mayor doesn't follow this forum!)
The TSA will declare no more pens on airlines.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:47 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,972,801 times
See what happens when you don't mind your business....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or