U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-26-2011, 02:11 AM
 
114 posts, read 172,427 times
Reputation: 51

Advertisements

I believe race can be helpful on some of these threads. Mentioning race is not always a bad thing. The problem in the Northeast is that no one wants to come out and talk about it. When you do talk about it people are uncomfortable. The Southeast has long come out and talked about race and they are dealing with the issue a lot better. The bottom line is you are what you are... black, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc. We're different flavors of the same human race. When a white guy says "the black guy ______ ..." and when a black guy says "the white guy ________..." it should not be looked upon as negative. But the problem we have in the Northeast is that there are usually hidden undertones. We have a long way to go with this IMO.

As a black person who doesn't live too far from Howard Beach I think it is made out to be more than what it really is. Are some of the residents racist against blacks? Of course. Are most? Probably not.

As a kid my father ran a business that polished the floors at the old pet store on Cross Bay and yeah we had a few problems (some stares), but not as many as one would believe if you listen to all this racist talk about HB. Most of the customers to that store back then were in fact HB residents too. Also as a kid, my mother used to frequent many of the restaurants on Cross Bay going back towards the bridge and we never had problems. As a matter of fact, I was shopping at the Waldbaums on Cross Bay around midnight a few weeks ago and experienced no problems. I go to Park Pizza on Cross Bay and the same can be said as well. I know many blacks who go to Howard Beach and they've been fine. Are you afraid to go there at times? Heck yeah. I think mostly because of all the talk you hear about the place. But with that said, I know of very few blacks that live in Howard Black.

Also, not all of the surrounding neighborhoods of Howard Beach are bad as stated in a few posts. You have Wakefield, Ozone Park and Beach Channel.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2011, 04:18 AM
 
50 posts, read 40,700 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Most neighborhoods are the same way.

If a white person moves to a black or Hispanic neighborhood it would be the same way.

If Hispanic moves to a Chinese neighborhood it would be the same way.
Yes but entire white run and dominated institutions have never been set up to keep white people out of black neighbourhoods (bar segregation which was mostly meant for the other way), or to keep hispanic and chinese apart.

There is a big difference between ethnocentricism or even feeling comfortable in your own group, or reaping the benefits that being in your own area in a racially motivated and racist society have. (assimilation for racial minorites is basically counter-productive).

I love how people try to make straw man arguments or make arguements that ignore the realities and power imbalances of the world. It's like a parent defending themselves in court for hitting a kid with a bat by saying WELL HE HIT ME FIRST.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 05:18 AM
 
Location: New York
1,664 posts, read 2,878,924 times
Reputation: 1422
Default learn the real history

What? The whole 1950's and 1960's was about ejecting Catholic ethnics from the cities- ethnically cleansing them in the suburbs and breaking down unions. In the 1950's 33% of Americans were in unions. This was do to the cohesiveness of ethnic Catholics that were totally separate from American whites. Today only 6% are in unions after they were ethnically cleansed from the cities. .


The way the ruling class broke down the unions was importing Southern protestants who were less apt to unionize. As posted before the ruling class feared the rise of the ethnic Catholics that were quickly taking building a stout powerbase in the northern cities. A power base totally separate from the WASP ruling class. They even elected a Catholic President in 1960; a president who was soon assassinated- every president since has been a Wasp and represented WASP interests.

How was the ruling class able to ethnically cleanse the cities? They have the power of usury. The power to issue debt or mortgages is the de- factor power to move people around. The plan was to move ethnics out into the suburbs to be Americanized. Also the power to red-line the cities so they were forced out to the new developments where they could no longer live in their cohesive urban neighborhoods and could left behind their culture to become consumers. Those that were left behind faced riots and all sorts of ruling class social engineering.

This why ethnics are continuously villianized in places like Howard Beach were violence is rare. Even as the ethnics share of the city grows slammer and smaller and other groups annex more and more of the city the ethnics are portrayed as the greedy villains.

Reparations are due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxLoc View Post
Yes but entire white run and dominated institutions have never been set up to keep white people out of black neighbourhoods (bar segregation which was mostly meant for the other way), or to keep hispanic and chinese apart.

There is a big difference between ethnocentricism or even feeling comfortable in your own group, or reaping the benefits that being in your own area in a racially motivated and racist society have. (assimilation for racial minorites is basically counter-productive).

I love how people try to make straw man arguments or make arguements that ignore the realities and power imbalances of the world. It's like a parent defending themselves in court for hitting a kid with a bat by saying WELL HE HIT ME FIRST.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,023 posts, read 14,177,740 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Darien? Howard Beach is more diverse than Darien CT. Love how the sequestered WASPs up in Connecticut love to grab that moral high ground on how much they love diversity. However Darien is 92% white and mostly WASP white- you know like microwave chicken nuggets for dinner made by the Jamaican nanny uber-white. The reason Darien doesn't have any incidents is that it is far far from any housing projects and its massive affluence protects it from any possibility of receiving the diversity the residents supposedly cherish with all their hearts.

Reading two articles about Howard Beach does not make some transplant corporate interchangeable part from palookaville an expert on the social dynamics and history of the ethnic inner city. Funny how the people that supposedly adore diversity cloister themselves in the most culturally homogeneous parts of the NYC metro. When one group tries to maintain their neighborhood they have to make way for one of the fed approved ethnicity of the diversity social program. If they do not make way they are black-balled by the media.




* Hispanic - 857 (4.2%)
* Asian alone - 477 (2.4%)
* Two or more races - 80 (0.4%)
* Black alone - 11 (0.05%)
* Other race alone - 11 (0.05%)
Slow down, Champ. This thread isn't about racial diversity, but the alienation perpetrated towards the minority from the majority. Did you miss that link?

Darien sets the example for racial amicability perhaps IMO. I have pervaded through restaurants, churches, community centers, town halls and even cultural events and don't remember even one event where I was made to look like I didn't belong there.

And this isn't my first time in the area, I lived there prior to the Lehmann crash in 2008.

That was the comparison I was trying to make.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 AM
 
50 posts, read 40,700 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
What? The whole 1950's and 1960's was about ejecting Catholic ethnics from the cities- ethnically cleansing them in the suburbs and breaking down unions. In the 1950's 33% of Americans were in unions. This was do to the cohesiveness of ethnic Catholics that were totally separate from American whites. Today only 6% are in unions after they were ethnically cleansed from the cities. .


The way the ruling class broke down the unions was importing Southern protestants who were less apt to unionize. As posted before the ruling class feared the rise of the ethnic Catholics that were quickly taking building a stout powerbase in the northern cities. A power base totally separate from the WASP ruling class. They even elected a Catholic President in 1960; a president who was soon assassinated- every president since has been a Wasp and represented WASP interests.

How was the ruling class able to ethnically cleanse the cities? They have the power of usury. The power to issue debt or mortgages is the de- factor power to move people around. The plan was to move ethnics out into the suburbs to be Americanized. Also the power to red-line the cities so they were forced out to the new developments where they could no longer live in their cohesive urban neighborhoods and could left behind their culture to become consumers. Those that were left behind faced riots and all sorts of ruling class social engineering.

This why ethnics are continuously villianized in places like Howard Beach were violence is rare. Even as the ethnics share of the city grows slammer and smaller and other groups annex more and more of the city the ethnics are portrayed as the greedy villains.

Reparations are due.
are you really comparing catholic white people to us? Really? Does Italy have starvin kids sniffin glue and hunting thru garbage dumps for something to eat? That Moderator cut: Language was messed up and dues are owed but really bro? GTFO no offense. We need solidarity and ur points are valid but honestly..

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-26-2011 at 01:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,060 posts, read 19,752,793 times
Reputation: 10129
Whatever happened to the OP? You don't suppose he or she started this thread just for purposes of self-amusement, do you?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,023 posts, read 14,177,740 times
Reputation: 11309
What the heck is a WASP anyway?

Should I google it
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/NYC
1,204 posts, read 1,291,740 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
What the heck is a WASP anyway?

Should I google it
White Anglo Saxon Protestant
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,023 posts, read 14,177,740 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
White Anglo Saxon Protestant
And he called me WASP

That's it, I'm visiting a tanning booth tonight LMAO.

I don't microwave chicken, I make curry out of it
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 03:28 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
931 posts, read 928,145 times
Reputation: 1310
I just want you all to know I am a white female and I lived in Harlem. Nobody ever made any racist comments to my FACE but the nonverbal cues were always there. My old block, according to the census data, is about 7% white. It was actually really cool to get to experience what it's like to be a minority. I learned a lot from it and am a better person for it.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top