Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 AM

15 posts, read 70,859 times

Advertisements

Hello!

So, my friends and I were discussing yesterday a possible move out of town within a year or so. We live in southern California and have never been to NY before but we're planning on making a visit sometime this winter. We need to know which areas to check out. Basically I'd like to know what areas you people would recommend for us. There's so much info available online it's hard to sift through it all and know what still counts.

Basic background info: It will be about 5 of us. Me, my friend, her parents and her boyfriend. Looking for 2-3 bedroom place. We're not rich! I know NYC is an expensive area to live but surely there are some places with reasonable rents. I think Manhattan is out of the question. I've heard Brooklyn, maybe Queens. What about the Jersey suburbs? I've heard that it's cheaper living in Jersey cuz of taxes or something? My friend doesn't want to live in Jersey but I'm wondering if that might be easier.

Also, which neighborhoods? I've heard Park Slope, Bensonhurst, Williamsburg, Boerum Hill, other areas of Brooklyn are good. We don't wanna live in the ghetto either.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Depends on your budget.

Will you all get jobs here? It can be very difficult to find a job, especially out of state.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:29 AM

655 posts, read 1,992,370 times
what's wrong with San Diego?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 AM

84 posts, read 277,386 times
You have to tell us how much you can afford to spend? which one of you has a job in NYC waiting for you?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 AM

337 posts, read 969,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heynello View Post
Hello!

So, my friends and I were discussing yesterday a possible move out of town within a year or so. We live in southern California and have never been to NY before but we're planning on making a visit sometime this winter. We need to know which areas to check out. Basically I'd like to know what areas you people would recommend for us. There's so much info available online it's hard to sift through it all and know what still counts.

Basic background info: It will be about 5 of us. Me, my friend, her parents and her boyfriend. Looking for 2-3 bedroom place. We're not rich! I know NYC is an expensive area to live but surely there are some places with reasonable rents. I think Manhattan is out of the question. I've heard Brooklyn, maybe Queens. What about the Jersey suburbs? I've heard that it's cheaper living in Jersey cuz of taxes or something? My friend doesn't want to live in Jersey but I'm wondering if that might be easier.

Also, which neighborhoods? I've heard Park Slope, Bensonhurst, Williamsburg, Boerum Hill, other areas of Brooklyn are good. We don't wanna live in the ghetto either.

Stay in San Diego. We have our limit of out of towners.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 AM

166 posts, read 443,868 times
Quote:
So, my friends and I were discussing yesterday a possible move out of town within a year or so.
Hmmmm...I hope this wasn't one of those "hey dude, you know what would be cool?? If we move to NYC! yeaaaa..." type of convos.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:59 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,024 times
Why do you people care why the OP wants to move? It's really none of your business and your opinion wasn't asked on the matter. NYC exists as it does because people from all over the world move TO it for various reasons. Get used to it or get out. Unless you're an American Indian, you're not an "original" so anyone complaining about transpants should shut the hell up or move to a place where there are no transplants and nobody wants to live. Like Texas.

As far as affordable, you will have to tell us what is affordable to you. That's completely a personal perspective. Maybe how old you are, what is important to you in a neighborhood, etc.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,024 times
Wow I just reread that and the parents are coming, too...that's unusual and kind of neat. As far as NJ, I personally really like Hoboken and it's RIGHT there across the water from Manhattan. I would not say that it's necessarily cheaper rent but you definitely get more bang for your buck. I like East and South Williamsburg better for living than the Bedford area. I love Greenpoint. Park Slope is nice but not cheap. I live in Queens now (Astoria) and love it...very affordable and pretty easy to get around (there can be train maintance but this is in all the outer boroughs). In Queens I also love Woodside and Jackson Heights. In Manhattan there can be some affordable places if you are willing to do the leg work. My friends lived in Inwood for $1800 in a 2 bedroom (was @ 185th). I personally like not living in Manhattan although if my husband had his way we would live in or near the Village ($$$$$$). My friend lives in the UWS (another huge 2 bedroom that is ~$2000, but I think it's rent controlled)...I like that area a lot; very pretty and kind of quiet. But like I said, I am very happy living in Queens. There are a ton of great areas in Brooklyn, but from my perspective, the further you get into Brooklyn, the farther the commute, which is a tough trade off since I have to go into Manhattan so frequently.
So lots of things to consider. You can do what we did and find a long term sublet @ first so that you can explore more while living here without making a huge commitment.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Hello!

IF you ever move here to NYC, if you get a chance go to Brooklyn Heights and check a a Californian transplant food van called Caliexico a fusion of TexMex with a Californian flare, there was alot of Californians online waiting for that stuff. As for for living in NYC, check out Astoria, Williamsburg, Boerum HIll. As for the Ghetto it exist through out the city, a perfect example a housing project next to Lincoln Center!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:27 PM

205 posts, read 507,816 times
Quote:
Hello!

I'll will freaking trade with you in a heart beat. Im dying to go to San Diego. lol. You in Poway or Carlsbad? I'll trade with you.

Stick with the hipster areas of Brooklyn or Queens. (Astoria, Parkslope, etc.) I'll think you will dig those places. Save a lot of money. Dont come out here broke. Its gonna really suck if you dont have some kind of cushion. Expect to see rats, roaches, garbage and smell just plain ole stinky air. Get some good winter clothes. When you get here try to refrain form saying "ghetto" a lot even though thats all your going to be thinking. Your gonna stick out like a sore thumb. Goodluck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: