U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 PM
 
20 posts, read 32,207 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

I would like to start this off by saying I'm not racist and the reason I love NY is because of the diversity. That's the main reason I have been living here for more than 20 years.

But now to my point.

I have been reading these forums for a bit and it seems most of the info that are being given are targeted to the Caucasian population. This information could be a bit misleading for others so I think that should be included in the posts.

Out of all the area's I have lived (all 5 boroughs+long island) I love queens the most. So will target a queens related thread.

Many people come here asking about good locations to live. Queens is rarely mentioned and when it is people only seem to speak about the mostly Caucasian area. I see Forest hills a lot and have personal experience with it so will use that as my example.


Forest hills is a mostly Caucasian Jewish neighborhood and if you don't fall into one of those two categories you're basically out of luck. Most of the people there are racist. Basically they don't want you around them and they make it known. I eat out a lot and I have had so many bad experiences with restaurants around forest hills I just avoid all restaurants in that neighborhood.



I don't really know how to explain it. People are not openly racist, But it seems they go out of their way to make you feel out of place or that you're lower than them somehow. They make it known they don't want you around by their actions.


I also know that when it comes to real estate many people only like to deal with other Caucasians. My mom is a Real Estate agent that deals with queens and happens to look white so she has no issues there. Some of the stories she could tell you about Forest hills / howard beach are unreal. Its probably my least liked parts of queens.


So anyway back to my point. I feel race should be included in some of these posts. I feel sorry for the minority who go looking for property in forest hills because of this forum. I would not feel safe around there by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 PM
 
7,127 posts, read 11,832,300 times
Reputation: 4154
It's a discussion forum. When you see a post you disagree with, you are welcome to make your own post to state your views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM
 
4,554 posts, read 3,697,478 times
Reputation: 3451
Cool another race-baiter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 07:50 PM
 
20 posts, read 32,207 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's a discussion forum. When you see a post you disagree with, you are welcome to make your own post to state your views.

Very true, But I don't feel I will be able to catch all the threads because I don't visit daily. Also Misleading info should not be given out simply because one person is not here to correct it.

Also its not really my view when members of a community are upset at real estate agents because they show property to "non-preferred" races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
 
20 posts, read 32,207 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Cool another race-baiter
I have no problem with races. As a matter of fact I'm one of the few members of my race that lives in my mostly Caucasian neighborhood and I love it here.

I'm just saying some neighborhoods are more racist than others and it should be known. When you make real estate agents sell to only members of your race then that neighborhood is going to become racist no matter what. Its not only Caucasians. Other races do it also. Even my race has a neighborhood like this and I hate it because of that fact. I'm just saying things like that need to be listed in a discussion forum like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
 
4,554 posts, read 3,697,478 times
Reputation: 3451
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolerstomp View Post
Other races do it also.

Ya don't say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 09:08 PM
 
7,127 posts, read 11,832,300 times
Reputation: 4154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolerstomp View Post
I'm just saying things like that need to be listed in a discussion forum like this.
No, they don't. As I already mentioned, this is a discussion forum and people who visit this forum should be able to understand the very simple concept that this is a board of anonymous users who are stating their opinions.

As I also already mentioned, you are free to come on here to refute people's opinions should you choose to do so. You mentioned you are too busy to do this. Are you suggesting that some other (unpaid) member or moderator should have the "job" of coming on to "correct" people's opinions? I guess that would defeat the purpose of the board which is a DISCUSSION forum.

What you are talking about is your opinion. If you were stating a fact and want to cite a source for that fact, then do so. Otherwise your opinion counts only as much as the next person's, or perhaps less so, if you happen to have a lower # of reputation points and are a newer member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 PM
 
421 posts, read 465,610 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolerstomp View Post
I would like to start this off by saying I'm not racist and the reason I love NY is because of the diversity. That's the main reason I have been living here for more than 20 years.

But now to my point.

Forest hills is a mostly Caucasian Jewish neighborhood and if you don't fall into one of those two categories you're basically out of luck. Most of the people there are racist. Basically they don't want you around them and they make it known. I eat out a lot and I have had so many bad experiences with restaurants around forest hills I just avoid all restaurants in that neighborhood.

I don't really know how to explain it. People are not openly racist, But it seems they go out of their way to make you feel out of place or that you're lower than them somehow. They make it known they don't want you around by their actions.

My mom is a Real Estate agent that deals with queens and happens to look white so she has no issues there. Some of the stories she could tell you about Forest hills / howard beach are unreal. Its probably my least liked parts of queens.

So anyway... I feel race should be included in some of these posts. I feel sorry for the minority who go looking for property in forest hills because of this forum. I would not feel safe around there by myself.
Well, if it is any consolation, you are not alone. I love California, but there are many areas up and down California that practice this, what is called covert racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC & New York
9,363 posts, read 15,733,454 times
Reputation: 5006
Whether or not someone makes the choice to state their age, race, gender, orientation, or any other personal information about themselves is their own business. Everyone has a different experience, framed by factors such as race, religion, and even socioeconomic status, such that it would be pointless to have all kinds of qualifiers about someone's frames of reference when stating their opinion to a question or comment posed by another.

Asking someone any personal information that they do not share is not fair game for responding to their question, in my opinion, as it makes no difference what someone's race is; since even if it were the same as my own, factors that frame opinions where one may be assumed to have the same reaction as another based upon a specific criterion used for comparison may yield an entirely different experience, even if the race, religion, socioeconomic status, relationship status, etc. were the same.

Identifying one factor, i.e., race, and using that as a criterion by which neighborhoods are recommended encourages racism. That is what happened with steering, redlining, and all sorts of other housing violations that were perpetrated against many groups by others in specific communities. Steering someone to a specific area when they did not request such would be tantamount to the same old social "norms" that fostered structural racism in the housing market, where people could not rent or buy in specific areas because of such beliefs.

Why should it matter to me what another's race is? It doesn't in my daily life, when I interact with people in person, so I don't see the need to qualify recommendations/opinions as to locations in which one should live, shop, or dine, based upon such a criterion. The vast majority of people who post here are earnest in that they are sharing recommendations that they would make to people in their offline lives, so why not extend the same courtesy to people who pose a question that they can answer on a forum?

It's very different if someone posts a question asking for a majority <insert ethnic group/race here> neighborhood, than one in which they have to state their own ethnic/race group before they get an answer. Race can be the tip of the iceberg, too, since then someone else might demand to know someone's relationship status before recommending an area, or their religion. If someone asks me for a predominantly Jewish neighborhood in which they can find a conservative congregation, to which they can walk, as that's a part of their faith, then I would not send them to City Island in the Bronx, for example, since it would not work for them.

There is no need to categorize people by demographic data, as they can make their own determinations whether or not one or more of the areas recommended to them are a good fit for themselves. Few people would take the opinions of people on a forum such as this, and make life-altering decisions without their own independent research, including visitng the area. But, they may not know where to start, so at least people are giving them some areas that they may consider. Frankly, I don't believe that it's my business to know more about another poster than they are willing to share, including their race.
__________________
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.
~William Shakespeare
(As You Like It Act II, Scene VII)

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2011, 02:06 AM
 
20 posts, read 32,207 times
Reputation: 20
I see your point bmwguydc, But maybe we can start a list that can be a sticky where people can list "race-unfriendly" neighborhoods?

As much as we all like to pretend they dont exist the fact is they do. Ignoring them won't change it. I'm sure its not many places because of all the places I lived I only experienced it in Howard beach / Forest hills.

Since this is a site about the city, things like this should be included for safety if nothing else.

You dont want minorieties getting hurt or killed becuase they go check out a neighborhood they think is a good place becuase of this site. And it has happened, Minorities have been killed just for walking around Howard beach.

and since what I say is not facts here are some...
1. NYPD is probing police race bias in Howard Beach (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2007/08/25/2007-08-25_nypd_is_probing_police_race_bias_in_howa.html - broken link)

2. More Details on the Howard Beach Attack: Gothamist

Also most of the stuff that happens dont even make the news, just the extreme ones.

Everyone here seems fast to point out the unsafe area's for caucasians so they know to avoid it, But dont give other races that same courtesy. It just seems wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top