U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-23-2011, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 25,025 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Brooklyn on 6/1. I believe it's in Flatbush as my apartment is along Clarkson Avenue. I talked to my roommate who lives there and he says the area is up and coming but that it's still kind of shady. He's a young professional. A music composer and is Caucasian. And the only reason I bring up his race is because, after doing some research online, I found out Flatbush used to be like almost 80% African American/West Indies.

I also saw that Flatbush was near or had some of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn, such as Lefferts Gardens and East Flatbush. I read that the closer to Prospect Park the better.

So, my question is, is the block I'm living on okay? It's on Clarkson between Bedford and Rogers. I'm really excited to move and will move regardless. But I've seen a wide range of opinions on Flatbush, ranging from terrible to up and coming. And I also read that nowadays it's the most diverse neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 AM

71 posts, read 114,418 times
East Flatbush covered by the 67pct is one of the top 3 busy precincts including the 75pct (east NY) and the 73pct(Brownsville) in brooklyn overall from what I know. In Bklyn south top 3 are 67pct, 71pct (south crown heights) 70pct (Flatbush). Your Apt being between Bedford & Rogers actually puts you in the confines of the 67pct. Bedford is the dividing line for the 67pct and 70pct. The block you live on isnt too crazy, but there is quite a bit of drug dealing that goes on in that area and you are in a more dangerous part of the Prospect park neighborhood compared to being another block over and farther up north. I know a few cops in the 67pct and they wouldnt recommend it. I dont think you would be bothered too much during the day, but I wouldnt want to be caught going home late at night yet. As for up and coming neighborhoods heres a link

Twenty Microneighborhoods That May Be the Next Big Thing -- New York Magazine

I think its number 19 on the list of NY's neighborhoods on the verge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckriley View Post
I'm moving to Brooklyn on 6/1. I believe it's in Flatbush as my apartment is along Clarkson Avenue. I talked to my roommate who lives there and he says the area is up and coming but that it's still kind of shady. He's a young professional. A music composer and is Caucasian. And the only reason I bring up his race is because, after doing some research online, I found out Flatbush used to be like almost 80% African American/West Indies.

I also saw that Flatbush was near or had some of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn, such as Lefferts Gardens and East Flatbush. I read that the closer to Prospect Park the better.

So, my question is, is the block I'm living on okay? It's on Clarkson between Bedford and Rogers. I'm really excited to move and will move regardless. But I've seen a wide range of opinions on Flatbush, ranging from terrible to up and coming. And I also read that nowadays it's the most diverse neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Thanks for any feedback!

Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABklynDude View Post
East Flatbush covered by the 67pct is one of the top 3 busy precincts including the 75pct (east NY) and the 73pct(Brownsville) in brooklyn overall from what I know. In Bklyn south top 3 are 67pct, 71pct (south crown heights) 70pct (Flatbush). Your Apt being between Bedford & Rogers actually puts you in the confines of the 67pct. Bedford is the dividing line for the 67pct and 70pct. The block you live on isnt too crazy, but there is quite a bit of drug dealing that goes on in that area and you are in a more dangerous part of the Prospect park neighborhood compared to being another block over and farther up north. I know a few cops in the 67pct and they wouldnt recommend it. I dont think you would be bothered too much during the day, but I wouldnt want to be caught going home late at night yet. As for up and coming neighborhoods heres a link

Twenty Microneighborhoods That May Be the Next Big Thing -- New York Magazine

I think its number 19 on the list of NY's neighborhoods on the verge.
Thanks so much for the info. Very helpful. I'm originally from Los Angeles and lived in Hollywood off of Sunset and Highland the past 10 years so this actually sounds similar to that area. I'll just continue to common sense, be aware of my surroundings and try not to be coming home late at night unless I'm in a cab - that is if I can get a cab to drop me off there if I'm out late with friends or something.

Thanks again! :-)

Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 AM

266 posts, read 340,646 times
Quote:

Thanks for any feedback!
LOL @ Flatbush being safer than East Flatbush! LOL!

2nd, if it's not 80% now, it's no lower than 70%, even with all the influx of Mexicans.

Densely packed blocks around there. And you are steps from Kings County Hospital.

In Hospital Scrubs and Officer’s Blues, a Kinship - New York Times

So get used to cops being shot from all over Brooklyn coming to your neighborhood. Especially now that summer is here.

Anyway, is the block you're living on OK?
Yes.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:56 AM

191 posts, read 385,133 times
The area is still predominantly a West Indian/African American over 80%, if this is still a concern to you? Is it up and coming whatever that means, than yes there are more non-west indian/african americans moving into the area, coffee shops/bar-restaurants/health food stores are springing up but more so towards the Prospect Park station.
Is crime still a problem?, most definetely and probably not even reported. Some kid got shot up a while back on Parkside in one of those chicken places and when they have the West Indian parade something always happens. But crime still tends to be confined within the local circles, does that mean you are completely safe, no but that's anywhere.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:43 AM

10,253 posts, read 18,468,681 times
Quote:

Thanks for any feedback!
I know that block very well, 140 Clarkson Avenue to be specific. Some of my family used to live in that building.
Its an okay block but it's still Flatbush, and it can get a little crazy in the summer. Its a loud neighborhood that still has issues wih crime, specifically drug dealing. But its not the worst of neighborhoods.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
The area is still predominantly a West Indian/African American over 80%, if this is still a concern to you? Is it up and coming whatever that means, than yes there are more non-west indian/african americans moving into the area, coffee shops/bar-restaurants/health food stores are springing up but more so towards the Prospect Park station.
Is crime still a problem?, most definetely and probably not even reported. Some kid got shot up a while back on Parkside in one of those chicken places and when they have the West Indian parade something always happens. But crime still tends to be confined within the local circles, does that mean you are completely safe, no but that's anywhere.
The ethnicity doesn't bother me at all. I cited that statistic simply because ever article I read about the neighborhood started off with that. And they always seemed to use that as a segue into talking about how bad Flatbush can be. And then they would talk about how the area is becoming more diverse.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City