Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times

Advertisements

I went to a Duane Reade in Queens to buy some Advil sinus medication today and was asked to show "photo ID." I did show a photo ID (but not a government issued one) and was then asked for a driver's license. I do have a license but did not have it on me. They said they needed something with proof of address. I didn't have anything so I was turned away.

Is this some sort of new law? They said it was company policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:55 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,800,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I went to a Duane Reade in Queens to buy some Advil sinus medication today and was asked to show "photo ID." I did show a photo ID (but not a government issued one) and was then asked for a driver's license. I do have a license but did not have it on me. They said they needed something with proof of address. I didn't have anything so I was turned away.

Do you look young? I am not sure how old you are. Maybe by "proof of address" they where trying to see if you had a fake ID. I know that sometimes (at least in Ohio, not a big sinus/cold medicine taker so I havent had to do it here) they will not sell certain OTC medicine to people under the age of 18 because they use it "to get high" or something. I dunno.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 PM

16 posts, read 45,897 times
A lot of pharmacies require you to sign a book before buying cold/sinus meds because apparently people use it to get high and (the most likely reason) those drugs contain pseudophedrine which can be used to make meth. They probably are trying to limit the amount of drugs one person can buy to prevent meth labs.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Do you look young? I am not sure how old you are. Maybe by "proof of address" they where trying to see if you had a fake ID. I know that sometimes (at least in Ohio, not a big sinus/cold medicine taker so I havent had to do it here) they will not sell certain OTC medicine to people under the age of 18 because they use it "to get high" or something. I dunno.
No, not that young! I think they can tell I'm over 30. My impression was that everyone must show ID. I just had never encountered this before. I think the last time I bought cold meds was about 2 years ago.

I normally end up buying from the big chains, but after today's experience at Duane Reade, I ended up going down the street to a locally owned pharmacy where I have had prescriptions filled and they know who I am. I bought a Advil Sinus there and they did not ask me for any proof of address -- but this could possibly be because they knew it was already in their system.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,427,626 times
This is nothing new. It started when the crystal meth epidemic boomed several years ago. Many drug stores don't even have the sinus/cold meds readily available. They will have cards hanging up. You have to take the card to the pharmacy department, ask for the item, show your Driver's License, sign the book, and then purchase the item.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
This is nothing new. It started when the crystal meth epidemic boomed several years ago. Many drug stores don't even have the sinus/cold meds readily available. They will have cards hanging up. You have to take the card to the pharmacy department, ask for the item, show your Driver's License, sign the book, and then purchase the item.
This one did have those cards, and I did have to request at the pharmacy. Actually I thought the card system was just a theft deterrent and I still didn't know I would be asked for ID until the moment before I thought I was going to purcahse and walk away.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,666,242 times
Sometimes they ask because kids use them to get high. I've been asked before when buying NyQuil.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,896,551 times
There are legal limits to the amount of product containing pseudoephedrine a person can purchase per month, no matter where you buy it. When the meth craze got really big, people were going from store to store, buying all the sinus meds to make their meth. The database they use tracks your purchasing. Your local pharmacy could get in big big trouble for selling to you without "logging" it, even if they know you.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,896,551 times
Oh, and the meds were all reformulated, so that there are versions without the active ingredient, which is why sometimes you'll see it out on the regular shelves. Anything you don't have get from the pharmacy counter/don't have to show ID for (read: not as effective!!!) does not contain pseudoephedrine.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,602,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

How does one even venture into the outside world without carrying something vital like driver's license?!?!?!

It's always stuck in my wallet, so it's always there.

Besides, it's a compliment if you get asked for an ID. I get carded even when I have a stubble
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City