U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 PM

20 posts, read 53,711 times

Advertisements

I own a 2 family home that I just had built and is currently empty. I'm planning on renting the first and second floor. I want to also rent the basement but do not want to deal with the issues of an illegal basement. How do I go about making the basement legal to rent? its a huge space that I have renovated to be just as nice as the first and second floor. It seems like a huge waste to have a space like that empty when there are homeless people or people in danger of being homeless all over the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 PM

58 posts, read 117,881 times
Notice to Call for inspection

Have a look at the about thread, they were discussing an illegal basement and converting it to legal. Hope it helps!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:20 PM

8,477 posts, read 20,365,185 times
The only way to do it legally,which is what you say you want to do,is to apply to the DOB and eventually get a c/o from the DOB for a 3rd unit.

Nice to hear that you are going to go through all this hassle and expense to create a housing unit for the homeless. How altruistic.You might be able to work with HPD and get your proposal expedited,maybe even get a no interest loan, as long as you guarantee to always house homeless people from the shelters.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-28-2011 at 05:30 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The only way to do it legally,which is what you say you want to do,is to apply to the DOB and eventually get a c/o from the DOB for a 3rd unit.

Nice to hear that you are going to go through all this hassle and expense to create a housing unit for the homeless. How altruistic.You might be able to work with HPD and get your proposal expedited,maybe even get a no interest loan, as long as you guarantee to always house homeless people from the shelters.
I'm not going to shelter homeless, I never said I would. All I said is why have a space like this waste when there is so many who cannot afford full price housing in ny? I mean its about 900 square feet and nicer than most of the spaces I see for rent. Hell its just as nice as the first and second floor that I'm going to rent out for $1650 each. I wont mind renting the basement out for around $700. Unlike many I know how important cheap basement apartments can be. The only reason my family made it in this country was because such apartments.

Last edited by lolerstomp; 04-28-2011 at 06:13 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolerstomp View Post
I'm not going to shelter homeless, I never said I would. All I said is why have a space like this waste when there is so many who cannot afford housing in ny? I mean its about 900 square feet and nicer than most of the spaces I see for rent. Hell its just as nice as the first and second floor that I'm going to rent out for $1650 each. I wont mind renting the basement out of around $700. Unlike many I know how important cheap basement apartment apartments can be. The only reason my family made it in this country was because such apartments.
If you work with HPD and take section 8 tenants you can probably get 1,600/mo
from NYC.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:21 PM

To get this post back on track. Can anyone post info about making a basement legal. I understand the c/o part, but I'm sure there are requirements needed before the c/o is approved.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM

982 posts, read 3,964,191 times
You need an architect to start with. No amount of free advice on an anonymous blog will get you there.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
You need an architect to start with. No amount of free advice on an anonymous blog will get you there.
That I know but I thought it would get me the basics so I know enough to know if its worth consulting and architect or not. Isn't the whole point of this forum for this type of information?

edit: btw I found that basic information I was talking about. Turns out my basement is a "cellar" so it cannot be rented. See how that works? Now I know it would be a waste of time to get an architect.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
To get this post back on track. Can anyone post info about making a basement legal. I understand the c/o part, but I'm sure there are requirements needed before the c/o is approved.
That's why I initially said to start with the Department of Buildings(DOB). They will tell you what the requirements are.Nobody here,unless they are a lawyer specializing in such things,will be able to give you the information you really need.They will tell you what they think but it may not be accurate or complete.The department of Buildings will give you all the correct information required to accomplish this legally.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/bis/bis.shtml

Here is how to apply for and receive a permit which is what you need:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/applications_and_permits/applications_and_permits.shtml (broken link)

You will have to deal with the DOB in the end anyway so why not start with them and get it right?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 PM

982 posts, read 3,964,191 times
Quote:
That I know but I thought it would get me the basics so I know enough to know if its worth consulting and architect or not. Isn't the whole point of this forum for this type of information?

edit: btw I found that basic information I was talking about. Turns out my basement is a "cellar" so it cannot be rented. See how that works? Now I know it would be a waste of time to get an architect.
So your concern about the homeless et al was just a guilty afterthought given that you had the capability to build for the purpose of making a legal basement if only you thought about the crack heads before.

Oh the Humanity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City