U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:47 AM

136 posts, read 230,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I will never forget all the papers and debris flying all over the place. A lot of that ended up in Brooklyn.
I remember smog being present in Brooklyn Heights for ages after the towers collapsed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,123,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn's Finest View Post
I remember smog being present in Brooklyn Heights for ages after the towers collapsed.
Yep. A lot of cars around here were covered with all the debris.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 AM

4,098 posts, read 5,862,732 times
was working on the high floor of a skyscrpaer in midtown with a perfect south view all the way down to the battery. didnt see the planes hit but saw both towers burn and collpase. saw the huge smoke cloud swell over lower manhattan. and because it was far enough away not hear, it all happened in silence. like a movie. only it was real.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 10,297 times
i m not a nyc resident i live in pa but visit nyc several times a year. i remember that day as if it was yesterday. i was at work and one of the workers came over said the tower just got hit by a plane i knew this wasnt an accident we went to the break room and watched the tv as the 2nd plane hit. at that time i knew we was in trouble i vol with the local fire dept and when the towers collasp that evening they put a call out for vol to help and i went to ground 0 for a week. i never will forget that day 9/11 changed my life and my outlook on things and the feeling i get when i stand at the wtc site words just cant discribe it. its nice to see the tower 1 being build its part of healing and now with bin laden gone a part of the hurt is healed all though i knew no one personally i still mourn and hurt for those lost

Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,894,135 times
i was in AZ and i was called up by the Army to report to the base there for a phyiscal to see if i was fit enough to return to duty as a Army Mp

Old 05-02-2011, 12:31 PM

113 posts, read 256,900 times
I can recall exactly when I first heard about the first plane hitting the towers.

I was walking into the lobby of my office building near GCT, and I overheard someone tell someone else, "A plane crashed into the WTC".

My initial reaction, like a lot of people at the time, was that it was some small, private plane, like the time when Yankees pitcher, Cory Lidle, crashed his plane into an apartment building in Manhattan.

I spent the rest of the day at work, trying to get news, but I remember all of the major US news web sites were all down because of overwhelming traffic. The very first view of the burning towers that I got to see was a photo on the BBC web site that I was able to view that afternoon.

I remember coming out of work around 6-ish and 42nd Street was nearly deserted, like on a Sunday, and as others have already mentioned, I remember that smell, all the way up in Hell's Kitchen, where I was living at the time.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:22 PM

581 posts, read 1,027,638 times
i was on Broadway, right across from that church.

When i ran to the 15th floor from the 13th floor and look up, all i saw was a gaping hole from the first hit.

I thought i was watching a chuck norris movie from back in the day.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:23 PM

19,782 posts, read 26,047,744 times
Fire Island...and I stayed for the week, not sure how to get home.
(I needed both the LIRR and PATH train, partly destroyed, to make it home.)

When I returned the air was so foul when the wind blew wrong, I wished I had stayed away another week.

I knew the manager of the WINDOWS ON THE WORLD...he had switched shifts to suilt his friend's schedule and she was killed, as were everyone in the restaurant. My friend left the country never to return.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:37 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,455,701 times
Hmm..I think we already had this discussion. My first day of work was 9/10, 9/11 was my second day on the 86th floor. I never made it up though..as they made us evacuate just in time to look up and see the 2nd plane hit, then running to avoid chunks of concrete and debris falling everywhere. I think that day changed the lives of those there, and those who watched and lived through the aftermath....we are still living through it every day.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:31 PM

50,405 posts, read 49,735,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Hmm..I think we already had this discussion. My first day of work was 9/10, 9/11 was my second day on the 86th floor. I never made it up though..as they made us evacuate just in time to look up and see the 2nd plane hit, then running to avoid chunks of concrete and debris falling everywhere. I think that day changed the lives of those there, and those who watched and lived through the aftermath....we are still living through it every day.
Which tower did you work in, SobroGuy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City