U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,549,460 times

Advertisements

or 9/13 I had the windows in my apartment open (I'm in Riverdale by the #1 train terminal) and it was windy. The news was talking of how the winds were blowing the smoke north towards Harlem. I noticed an odd odor coming into my apartment for awhile. I am 13- 14 miles from Ground Zero. is it possible this smell was from Ground Zero or would 14 miles be too far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,140,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
or 9/13 I had the windows in my apartment open (I'm in Riverdale by the #1 train terminal) and it was windy. The news was talking of how the winds were blowing the smoke north towards Harlem. I noticed an odd odor coming into my apartment for awhile. I am 13- 14 miles from Ground Zero. is it possible this smell was from Ground Zero or would 14 miles be too far?
The wreckage was visible from the International Space Station; 14 short miles wouldn't be too far at all for the smoke to travel.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 PM

51,301 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
I don't think so. That smell was strong. We were working in Jersey City near the Holland Tunnel and you could smell it there a lot, although that is closer. New York is a windy place, and it's not a stretch that the wind could have swept north and brought the smell.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circa62 View Post
I was a few blocks away in a smoke filled stairway at 2 Chase plaza...
That's pretty close to the WTC. Glad you got out of there, too. Do you still work downtown?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,160,818 times
Quote:
I had tickets for the Brooklyn Cyclones world series game on the 12th.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:57 AM

14,835 posts, read 17,423,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think so. That smell was strong. We were working in Jersey City near the Holland Tunnel and you could smell it there a lot, although that is closer. New York is a windy place, and it's not a stretch that the wind could have swept north and brought the smell.
It smelt like burnrd rubber from what I can remember.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,818,746 times
I was working right on Broadway, right down the block from the Trade Center. Basically across the street, because the back of my building faced the WTC. I have some beautiful pictures from years ago of the towers still in tact, and I also have some pictures of the buildings on fire on 9/11. I used to shop in the WTC concourse all the time. It was really nice there, and they had a ton of stores.

I was in Century 21 Department Store when the first plane hit. I was on the third floor, and I remember hearing people screaming from the floors below, but where I was, no one knew what was going on. When I left the store, I saw crowds of people walking TOWARDS the WTC, instead of away. There were papers flying everywhere and a horrible burning smell. Instead of just trying to get out of the city, I walked to my office just to get out of the panic filled streets.

I was only in my office about 5 minutes when the second plane hit. I remember feeling like a sense of disbelief. It sounded like a missile. A few of my co-workers came in covered in glass.

At that point, we all knew it was terrorism. By the time everyone in my office decided to leave the building, the first tower fell. It felt like an earthquake and all I can remember thinking was that my building was going to fall too. It was that strong. When I got to the lobby of my building, it was filled with smoke and everyone was running around screaming.

We finally made it out, and walked towards uptown. We were pretty covered in that ash. I ended up being stuck in the city that night, and couldn't go back to work for over 2 weeks because my building was in the "frozen zone".

To be honest, it feels in some ways like a million years ago and in other ways like it was just yesterday.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:08 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,197,604 times
I wasnt near the towers when it happened, but was there a strong smell of jet fuel in the air?

Or did any other notice a smell of burnt rubber, before the towers collapsed?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I wasnt near the towers when it happened, but was there a strong smell of jet fuel in the air?

Or did any other notice a smell of burnt rubber, before the towers collapsed?
It did smell like jet fuel inside, in the stairwells. Not sure about outside. I remember sights more than smells, most notably the pieces of a burning plane and other stuff around it.

That awful burning smell, though, imprinted itself on me so strongly that a couple of years later I was watching a newscast of the day and found myself with my hands over my nose, because I could smell it.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-05-2011 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 AM

303 posts, read 636,528 times
was in my 6th grade class. i was only 10 and as kids we were already hearing rumors that all of Manhattan was on fire, the president died and so on. Throughout the day kids were being called to go home, and every kid that was called to go home, i was jealous of and considered them lucky as i was one of the last kids called to go home. When i finally got to my aunt's house with all my cousins who attended the same school, *(she was the only one who could pick us all up).. i realized....how unlucky we all were
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City