U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:12 PM

28,011 posts, read 22,259,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Thank God your okay.
Count your blessings.
I do. I have ten years a lot of other people didn't get. I got to see my daughter grow up, and a lot of other people didn't get to see their kids grow up. I brought her to work with me on her birthday, about two weeks before the buildings went down, and she won't forget where she was the day she turned ten.

There are a lot of us lurking around. About 15,000 people got out alive before the buildings collapsed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 PM

162 posts, read 174,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I was in 8th grade. I was taking a test in spanish class. I was staring out the window because I saw a lot of black clouds. I was wondering what happened,so I went near the window and I saw a tall building on fire straight I was really wondering what was going on. My science teacher came in and told us. The whole class was scared. My parents never picked me up, so I had to wait till 2:45 to walk home by myself .
stuck in a call center watching it on tv

Old 05-07-2011, 06:31 AM

3,286 posts, read 3,452,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
NYChistorygal, thanx for the response.

But why did the firemen tell her to run like hell, assuming she was in the lower floors. Nobody could predict that the south tower was to go down?
Debris, fire and bodies falling from above. At least one person was killed by a body falling on them.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:44 PM

7,161 posts, read 5,453,981 times
Was woken up in my 6th floor apt bedroom facing the city by the phone with my ex-gf telling me the news. Went to the window..Will never forget the sight. And the smoke drifting over the neighborhood.... Forever in my memory.

D.Scott

Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 PM

396 posts, read 618,198 times
My school had us downtown on a fieldtrip that morning on a fieldtrip on Chambers and Greenwich street that morning. I was in fifth grade. I remember looking at the towers really well because a week before I had gone to Staten Island and looked back at the city and noted their significance in the skyline.
We were all sitting in a circle when we heard a loud, thunderous noise outside and then what is the loudest noise I have ever heard in my life. I remember describing it to my mother that night like a bazillion trains and loud thunder that shook the whole earth.
The adults went outside for a minute and came back in screaming and got us out of their immediately. The street was covered with newspapers, mad dust and people were running everywhere.
We had taken a school bus there but it wasn't down there, and we tried to go to the 1,2,3 trains but police had blocked them off at the Chambers street entrance so we ended up walking uptown. I was scared and wanted to call my mom but no ones cell phone could get through, and I was concerned because my dad worked in the old Goldman Sachs building. Most of the city was covered in a smog and the smell was... just indescribable.
I didn't personally anyone who died however, but my parents did and so did many of my friends in class. It still scares me a little to this day to see a low flying plane anywhere over the city.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:29 AM

5,475 posts, read 5,095,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had no idea that there was a neighborhood called Middletown in the Bronx. Learn something new every day.
The subway stop is Middletown Road. Don't know if the neighborhood is called "Middletown". Don't know about areas outside South Bronx.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:55 AM

1,340 posts, read 928,889 times
I was stuck on the D train going mid way on the Brooklyn Bridge. I was going to LIU in Brooklyn. Finally got to class only to find out, everything was cancelled. Then I could't go back home due to the trains being stopped. Got back to the Bronx 7pm.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:18 AM

933 posts, read 956,343 times
I was living in MI, my first year of college. I was making breakfast on the stove for my boyfriend and I when he told me to come look at the TV. That was right after the first tower got hit. I remember being so shocked that I burned the toast and eggs I was making. My first question to him was 'honey, is this a movie you taped or something?' I couldn't believe what I was watching was real. My hearts go out to everyone who survived that day. It makes so much more sense hearing what happened from you as opposed to the news outlets. I had always wondered why on earth people would have stayed in tower 2 or had gone back up after tower 1 got hit. But hearing it from you now I understand. Their fear ultimately killed them. That is horrible beyond words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City