U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:54 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,032,782 times

Advertisements

NYC is the only place I have ever lived where someone told me outright, to my face- 'you are a moron for waking up everyday and getting a paycheck for a living'. Evidently I could have made much more being a leech (ie working off the books and collecting government assistance). I hate Repubicans, I will never vote Republican- but let me tell you that whole experience made me question voting 'D' as well. Left a sick feeling in my mouth, haven't purged of it fully even though I'm gone. I remember going to C-Town for basics on the days I was too lazy or exhausted (whatever you want to label it as) and seeing Dominican baby mamas getting everything with EBT. Many of them were probably illegals and using someone else's card. Didn't matter. You show them the card, it's considered cash. It made me sick, especially when I saw women pregnant with their fourth or fifth child, acting like they were smarter than me. When all I would give is to have a child. But I don't have such a lowlife mentality, and would never expect the government to help me with that. That is why I am a true American, and they never will be.

I am happy to be away from that now. I do not vote Republican, but I DO have a conservative ideology. We have to put a stop to these leeches, America. I believe in immigration as it is the foundation of this country. But I in no way will wake up every day and bust my ass off to support these parasites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,557,255 times
[quote=ny789987;19137941]This article made me really sad. The rubber has really met the road:

New Yorkers under 30 plan to flee city, says new poll; cite high taxes, few jobs as reasons

Was on an elevator at the Rockefeller subway station. Held the elevator door open for this "lady", and the beast pushes me aside, doesn't even say thank you, and shoves in her baby stroller with her two bratty infants. Beast commences to shout out at the kids with her vile, profanity filled potty mouth.

I shudder at the future of the NYC metro area. We are scaring off productive, smart taxpayers and replacing them with uneducated welfare collecting breeders.[/QUOTE]

LOL.....you have 1 incident and you've pretty much "figured out" that "We" are replacing "productive" people with "uneducated welfare collecting breeders".

I'll keep you in my prayers..I'll be the first to admit that I have a disdain for trashy people be it welfare mothers or a Financial Analyst.

But your mindset is very narrow minded. Maybe you deserve to be shoved around.

Last edited by Ron.; 05-13-2011 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: MASSIVE typo corrections.....

Old 05-13-2011, 11:01 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,564,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

I'll keep you in my prayers..I be the first to admit that I have a disdain for trashy people be it welfare mothers or a Financial Analyst.

But your mind set if very narrow minded. Maybe you deserve to be shoved around.
Amen! rep!!! +1

Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,664,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
NYC is the only place I have ever lived where someone told me outright, to my face- 'you are a moron for waking up everyday and getting a paycheck for a living'. Evidently I could have made much more being a leech (ie working off the books and collecting government assistance).
Sorry you had to hear those vile words. Obviously the person who spewed such verbal diarrea has never known the pleasure of obtaining and holding onto a good fulfilling job they looked forward to going to 5 days a week. To them, the words "job" and "fulfilling" never go in the same sentence. I bet if somone told them they love their job they'd look at the person like he/she had 3 heads. I don't respect people like that. As for people who dwell in daily drudgery when they do have a job, well, those people are just a step above the leeches imo. My motto: Love what you do or learn to love what you do.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 AM

20,162 posts, read 26,460,446 times
With a City population in excess of 8 million, I certainly hope SOME people are moving out.

Hey, does the hatred for those who live but not work pertain to those New Yorkers who were born into families with assets in excess of $100,000,000 who can while away 70 years in bed if they choose...and STILL be served breakfast on a silver platter? If they take a notion in later years to DO something, they can run for political office and become "rulers."
Are they not leeches as well?
Or are only POOR layabouts actually layabouts?

Old 05-14-2011, 12:19 PM

59 posts, read 112,935 times
Here is an expanded version from the university itself:
New York May Bid Farewell to 36% of Young Residents | Home of the Marist Poll: Pebbles and Pundits

For those who thinks it only impacts NYS and not NYC, you need to think harder. Since close to half of New York State population is living in NYC, it would turn the rest of the state in to a desert if that huge number of people left NYS but not NYC.

There is a break down in the article:
Regionally, about one-third 33% of those in the suburbs of New York City, 26% of those upstate, and 24% of New York City residents report they will make their exit.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:34 PM

59 posts, read 112,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Sample size was 941, of that sample, 23% were under 30. So all these conclusions it's drawing about those under 30 are based on replies of 216 people.
You might have noticed that margin of error is also calculated in that poll: +/- 3.5%
If you take a statistics course you will know that at certain point in the polling when standard deviation falls below predefined value, determined by the specified margin of error, you can stop polling polling beyond that point only increases your expenses.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:49 PM

10,626 posts, read 20,759,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8west View Post
You might have noticed that margin of error is also calculated in that poll: +/- 3.5%
If you take a statistics course you will know that at certain point in the polling when standard deviation falls below predefined value, determined by the specified margin of error, you can stop polling polling beyond that point only increases your expenses.
I am sure you know more about statistics than I do, so here's a question:

If the margin of error is 3.5% for a polling sample of 941, yet you draw conclusions from a sample size of only 216 (which is what the under 30 yo subset is), does the margin of error remain the same?

Also, wouldn't it be important to know if these productive under-30 citizens who are fleeing are going to be replaced by the same number of incoming equally productive under 30s? Because that's what seems to be happening in NYC, although maybe not NYS.

I wish I knew more about statistics. Maybe I will start wathing the Khan Academy videos.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:33 PM

1,090 posts, read 2,786,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
This article made me really sad. The rubber has really met the road:

New Yorkers under 30 plan to flee city, says new poll; cite high taxes, few jobs as reasons

Was on an elevator at the Rockefeller subway station. Held the elevator door open for this "lady", and the beast pushes me aside, doesn't even say thank you, and shoves in her baby stroller with her two bratty infants. Beast commences to shout out at the kids with her vile, profanity filled potty mouth.

I shudder at the future of the NYC metro area. We are scaring off productive, smart taxpayers and replacing them with uneducated welfare collecting breeders.
True dat homie!!

Old 05-14-2011, 02:34 PM

1,090 posts, read 2,786,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmm View Post
well, new york city vacancy rate is below 1 percent, rents are on the rise.
despite all those people leaving, there is definitely no shortage of wannabe new yorkers.

upstate is another story completely, there is not much to do there for a young person if one is not in college.

for real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or