U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:04 AM

33 posts, read 60,341 times

Advertisements

My sister and her husband left because they wanted more for their money. They moved out west with half the expense. They wanted to stay here for family, but in the end they couldn't afford it. They're doing fine out west, and visit when they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 05:30 AM

111 posts, read 136,157 times
I feel like this will continue to happen over the years. A lot of people will leave, stay, and return. NYC is 8.2 million legal, 200K + illegal residents and rising city.

The endless gentrification of NYC will kick out those you can't afford it or don't want to live in a over-populated, over-priced, over-polluted, etc city.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 PM

245 posts, read 395,637 times
I am 30 and grew up in Queens. My parents still live and work there. We are all fleeing because the prices of real estate are through the roof in any decent area. My wife and I relocated to Connecticut because you tend to get more for your money although real estate taxes are higher. We are even considering moving out West because the entire Northeast (unless you live in a sleepy town miles from anything) is way too expensive.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:31 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,882,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby23 View Post
I am 30 and grew up in Queens. My parents still live and work there. We are all fleeing because the prices of real estate are through the roof in any decent area. My wife and I relocated to Connecticut because you tend to get more for your money although real estate taxes are higher. We are even considering moving out West because the entire Northeast (unless you live in a sleepy town miles from anything) is way too expensive.
Yeah, it put things in prospective in an episode when Archie and Edith are approached by a blockbuster and offered $35,000 for their house -- which is well over market value, which I think they said was $27,000. In today's terms, their home would be worth $143,000 and they were offered $185,000. Can you even buy an empty lot in Astoria or Jackson heights for $143,000 these days, much less a detached house (or half a duplex, depending on whether you're referring to the house as portrayed in the show or the house as shown in the credits)?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:04 PM

669 posts, read 1,037,775 times
Isn't this whole thing about ppl leaving NYS as a whole I'm pretty sure young ppl move into NYC in droves every year, the population is still rising.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:17 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,450,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Isn't this whole thing about ppl leaving NYS as a whole I'm pretty sure young ppl move into NYC in droves every year, the population is still rising.
People come and go, young educated new yorkers are no different from out of town young educated white yuppies. Young new yorkers flock to other States for jobs especially after college like how many transplants do when they complete school and move to nyc. Don't worry josh NYC is happy for talent from massachusettes, Wisconsin north Carolina, Ohio and so forth. On the flipside many States such as Texas, Arizona, Florida and so forth are happy reecieving talent from New York.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 AM

371 posts, read 1,141,431 times
People in NYC come and go. It's NYC, I'm sure it won't empty out anytime soon. There are still opportunities there that don't exist elsewhere.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:02 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,742,612 times
I love polls that throw percentages around like manhole covers, but don't even survey a thousand people.

Honestly, you can scream "Extrapolation" until you turn blue in the face, but you can't actually expect polls to mean anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or