Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 17,778 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am driving up from NC tomorrow to move my daughter into an apartment in Brooklyn. She will be working a couple of internships during the summer. I will most likely stay overnight and leave for the 11 hour drive home on Monday morning. In order to spend the least time sitting in rush hour traffic, what time would you recommend leaving Brooklyn to head west on I-78? Before 6am or after 9am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 12:24 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
I'm confused.

If you are going to NC, you need to go SOUTH.

Anyway, you need to get to I95, the only reason to go West is to get to I95, and that simply means getting over the bridges or tunnels.

Here's a thread that talks all about going south (to Florida):

Driving from NYC to Miami, Florida. Any suggestions?

Its not mentioned, but you can go over the Verrazano Bridge into Staten Island, the SI expwy to either of the two bridges into NJ, then catch I95 that way. This route requires a very early leave, as rush hour traffic to and thru Staten Island is totally brutal. 5am at the latest. Earlier if you want to beat the DC/VA rush too.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:19 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearelove View Post
Hi, I am driving up from NC tomorrow to move my daughter into an apartment in Brooklyn. She will be working a couple of internships during the summer. I will most likely stay overnight and leave for the 11 hour drive home on Monday morning. In order to spend the least time sitting in rush hour traffic, what time would you recommend leaving Brooklyn to head west on I-78? Before 6am or after 9am?
Do you mean I-278?

Old 05-15-2011, 03:06 AM

3 posts, read 17,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I'm confused.

If you are going to NC, you need to go SOUTH.

Anyway, you need to get to I95, the only reason to go West is to get to I95, and that simply means getting over the bridges or tunnels.

... Earlier if you want to beat the DC/VA rush too.
I will be heading west through PA where I pick up I-81 to head south to NC. The traffic you mentioned through DC & VA is why I don't use I-95. It's quicker and a much nicer, scenic drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: