Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

Also, the rest of the city is not as expensive as Manhattan. I have a friend living in Riverdale (BX) in a huge 1 bedroom for 875/month and he's going to make 110k this year. lol
Oh jesus, I need this guy's budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM

346 posts, read 498,271 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Me too. And $875 / month in Riverdale? That's some deal. I live in one of the much "cheaper" areas in Westchester County and that price is the exception, not the norm.

I'm not sure if people here are reading the same posts I am- BingCherry is looking to get out of dodge when her SO graduates. She is planning to leave. Lots of people feel this way. Doesn't mean she has to leave tomorrow.

Plus, if I'm understanding correctly, this thread is about the crappy paying jobs in NYC - not to kids fresh out of college expecting to rake in the dough- but in regards to jobseekers with years & years of experience in positions that never required a degree before, but now suddenly do.

I also agree that there are many people that think there's no other place to live besides New York, NY is "where it's at", the midwest / south are backwards, blah, blah blah -that have not ventured beyond the area and seen there are other great places to live. Fine if you love New York and are willing to deal with its high COL, but I don't think it's crazy or out of line for people to state their opinions if they feel otherwise.

Last edited by catnip8056; 07-12-2011 at 01:27 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 01:21 PM

3,963 posts, read 2,350,127 times
Bing,
I am hoping that you can leave this urine smelling cess pool myself. I know what you mean, seriously. I am so glad I don't live in this tri-state area anymore. Unfortunately, I still work with these burnouts and wannabees in Manhattan until I find a job in PA. My wife is from NYC and she was so glad I moved her out. We both hate the subway. Especially this time of year. Hot, stifling, etc. Haven't had a raise in 3 years while the partners are partying like it's 1999, lol. I am this close to giving NYC the bird but have to find this gig in my area. The sooner the better!!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:25 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
The bottom line is this: If you are a low wage worker, or even average wage worker (less than $50K per year), NYC is a tough place to raise a family. You are better off living in another part of the country where you will probably have the same salary, but a higher take-home pay and overall better quality of living, and can buy a home, etc.

If you are highly educated and/or in a specialized/highly paid field, NYC is as good as it gets and you are compensated as such. The career opportunities and income can be phenomenal and you will do much better here than almost anywhere else in the country.

So the moral of the story is if you are a security guard earning $25K a year, you are much better off moving to the South/West, however if you have an MBA and/or a Wall Street type/investment banker/financial industry, you will do very well here, better than almost anywhere else in the country.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:15 PM

103 posts, read 166,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The bottom line is this: If you are a low wage worker, or even average wage worker (less than $50K per year), NYC is a tough place to raise a family. You are better off living in another part of the country where you will probably have the same salary, but a higher take-home pay and overall better quality of living, and can buy a home, etc.

If you are highly educated and/or in a specialized/highly paid field, NYC is as good as it gets and you are compensated as such. The career opportunities and income can be phenomenal and you will do much better here than almost anywhere else in the country.

So the moral of the story is if you are a security guard earning $25K a year, you are much better off moving to the South/West, however if you have an MBA and/or a Wall Street type/investment banker/financial industry, you will do very well here, better than almost anywhere else in the country.
It's not about the money; 1,000,000 dollars can't buy me what I want: easier driving, parking, cheaper living, less congestion of people...

Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
GoBlue, there is a big world out there, and you are right...NYC is very "UnAmerican" as compared to the more stereotypical American value of guns, minimal diversity, 2 car garages with picket fences/front and backyards/ and now foreclosures, nonexistent downtown districts, strip malls, low wage jobs a plenty, useless if any public transportation/car based culture, and on and on.

NYC has lots of negatives, but from where I stand, the smart ones stay, which is why the global elite and highest paid professions/industries can be found in places that are "unAmerican", like NYC, Boston, and San Fran. If you want the best and brightest, since when do you go to Podunk, Kentucky?
Put Wall Street in Toledo, Ohio and the workers will move. This city has NOTHING, NOTHING but the carrot that it dangles in front of people that, they too, can possibly make a lot of money. It just doesn't mention that it will take most of it back through taxes and cost of living. And your sanity too.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
If I can afford to pay 2k in rent, why not? I'd happily pay. I can't so I don't. It's as simple as that.
A few of my friends make a living which allow them to pay that kind of rent. I don't see anything wrong with it.

What's preventing you from landing a high paying job and taking advantage of all NYC has to offer? Who's to blame if you can't land one? I don't have one and I don't blame anyone but myself for the most part.
I don't want any job in this city. There isn't enough money in the world that can mask this city for what it really is.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:28 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:

You hit it on the head.

You just need a decent profession.
Just some anecdotal evidence from friends:

Actuary 3 years in (passed level 5 exam) working for large public reinsurance corp. - 85k
Sales account exec 4 years exp for large online gaming website - 110k including bonus
Civil engineer 3 years in - 60k.

Out of all my friends I'm the crackhead making 40k, no bennies. lol

The good jobs are out there in NYC.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 07-12-2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 02:33 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Goblue if you are looking for less people, more driver friendly, and less congestion, then yes, the city is not for you, and 95% of the rest of the country is. And that's ok. But to allege that the city has NOTHING but a carrot it dangles is ludicrous..are you claiming we don't have some of the best museums in the world, or best restaurants and chefs, or best entertainment, or best architecture, or best iconic attractions, or best and most comprehensive public transportation, or sheer variety of housing options from $50 million penthouses to $150 per month housing projects and everything in between, and the list can go on and on.

So yes NYC may not be for you, and that's ok, but to allege it has nothing but a carrot to dangle in front of people is ludicrous. If you think the best thing in life is driving on an empty road to a strip mall with free parking, with only 5 people within eyesight, then yeah....NYC rates very low on your list. But there is a reason NYC had almost $50 million visitors in the last year, and it wasn't to see suburban strip malls, eat at Pizza Hut, or shop at Wal-Mart.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:44 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
What would really make you cry is that his fiancee is bringing in the dough too; around 90k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City