Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 09:16 AM

166 posts, read 443,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
It's not that.

They just don't realize, at least initially, how high the COL is in NYC. They take the lower pay thinking that it will pull them through because the same pay was decent where they came from. They don't realize all of the hidden costs (price premiums, fees, use taxes, etc.) associated with living in NYC as well as the high taxes.

A lot of them think that 40 or 45 or even 50k is more than decent.
Someone can get by in NYC on the salaries you listed. Of course, there is a HUGE difference between getting by and actually taking advantage of what this city has to offer. I am super qualified, have my master's, have plenty of work experience (including overseas) and am multi-lingual...and I'm temping. I live a super frugal lifestyle and after the huge amount of taxes are taken from my check every week, my pay is really quite sad. I'm from NYC, born and raised, took off in 2000 for a college opportunity down south. I've been back just for a few months and my reason for coming back is the work opportunities that (supposedly) exist here. I have sent my resume out to plenty of places and am left wondering just what it takes to get a decent job in NYC nowadays. I'm sticking it out for the moment but have already begun to look overseas. The whole "go down south and live a better life" dream isn't for me...been there, done that. It is not all that people make it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 10:02 AM

52 posts, read 88,841 times
Quote:
It's not that.

They just don't realize, at least initially, how high the COL is in NYC. They take the lower pay thinking that it will pull them through because the same pay was decent where they came from. They don't realize all of the hidden costs (price premiums, fees, use taxes, etc.) associated with living in NYC as well as the high taxes.

A lot of them think that 40 or 45 or even 50k is more than decent.
This certainly applies to some people, but a lot of it is also that they couldn't find a job where they lived. If you're unemployed for years and all of sudden you get a job offer in NYC, you're not going to care about the high cost of living. Anything is better than nothing.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:06 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
Someone can get by in NYC on the salaries you listed. Of course, there is a HUGE difference between getting by and actually taking advantage of what this city has to offer. I am super qualified, have my master's, have plenty of work experience (including overseas) and am multi-lingual...and I'm temping. I live a super frugal lifestyle and after the huge amount of taxes are taken from my check every week, my pay is really quite sad. I'm from NYC, born and raised, took off in 2000 for a college opportunity down south. I've been back just for a few months and my reason for coming back is the work opportunities that (supposedly) exist here. I have sent my resume out to plenty of places and am left wondering just what it takes to get a decent job in NYC nowadays. I'm sticking it out for the moment but have already begun to look overseas. The whole "go down south and live a better life" dream isn't for me...been there, done that. It is not all that people make it out to be.

One can survive on 20k plus welfare and medial assistance but what type of life is that?

One of the reasons that wages are depressed at the lower end is because welfare and medicaid for the working poor is a direct subsidy for employers.
Why would an employer pay someone a living wage when he knows that he can pay lower and the rest will be subsidized? Why would an employee turn down a working poor wage when he knows that the city will subsidize his wages with benefits?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stri50 View Post
This certainly applies to some people, but a lot of it is also that they couldn't find a job where they lived. If you're unemployed for years and all of sudden you get a job offer in NYC, you're not going to care about the high cost of living. Anything is better than nothing.
I would agree but the argument doesn't make much sense when you delve into it.

Most who would move here for work, would be those who's skills are high in demand. They're paid well so COL wouldn't be a problem.

It doesn't make sense for someone to go and find work for 35k in NYC because in real terms that wage is more like 28-30k compared to where they came from. Furthermore, NYC isn't a high job growth area and hasn't been for quite some time. It may be a high churn (attrition rate) area but there are plenty of other places in the nation with a better job growth rate.

Just as anecdotal evidence, NYC didn't even make Forbes Top 25 largest Metros for many years now which takes into account job growth rate,cost of living, and median salary.

I think the percentage of people who solely come here because they cna snag a low wage job is low. Most come here because they want to live in big city NYC and they're willing to live hand to mouth to get a taste. No matter how sour it is. It's like having sex with a beautiful woman who's great in bed but has Herpes. A lot of guys would still do it. lol

Old 07-15-2011, 10:32 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
You can live in NYC making 37 to 50K. I know since i started out at 37K (2007) and i am now at 50K. At first, i lived with family paying my share of the rent and food supplies and then i moved out once i developed a budget for myself. (necessaties vs luxuries) I also traveled but i usually have to save for like 6 months in order to do so but i do have to agree that NYC is way to expensive. I am now concentrating on saving up a 6 months emergency fund.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
One can survive on 20k plus welfare and medial assistance but what type of life is that?

One of the reasons that wages are depressed at the lower end is because welfare and medicaid for the working poor is a direct subsidy for employers.
Why would an employer pay someone a living wage when he knows that he can pay lower and the rest will be subsidized? Why would an employee turn down a working poor wage when he knows that the city will subsidize his wages with benefits?
But who said anything about 20k? I stated that yes, someone can survive on the wages you stated (40-50k). It's true that for someone from a lower cost area, that may seem like a lot, but in reality here that is little.

Btw, my take-home pay at the moment is under 25k and I receive no benefits of any kind (from the govt nor my employer). And this is for a contract position which required a degree for a very well known university in Manhattan. I am doing what I have to do to get by. At the end of the day tho, I really have to decide how bad I want to stay in this city. I do agree with the OP's original point- employers here are asking for more and more yet providing very little in terms of wages.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
But who said anything about 20k? I stated that yes, someone can survive on the wages you stated (40-50k). It's true that for someone from a lower cost area, that may seem like a lot, but in reality here that is little.

Btw, my take-home pay at the moment is under 25k and I receive no benefits of any kind (from the govt nor my employer). And this is for a contract position which required a degree for a very well known university in Manhattan. I am doing what I have to do to get by. At the end of the day tho, I really have to decide how bad I want to stay in this city. I do agree with the OP's original point- employers here are asking for more and more yet providing very little in terms of wages.
You were absolutely right. I wasn't arguing with you.

I was providing just one reason why wages are so low relative to COL.

Were you working on a 1099? Thoise things are murder and were always reserved for those working on contract making in excess of $60/hr.
It's a big scam among employers now. Pushing low level and FT workers unto 1099's. The IRS has got involved lately.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klato View Post
You can live in NYC making 37 to 50K. I know since i started out at 37K (2007) and i am now at 50K. At first, i lived with family paying my share of the rent and food supplies and then i moved out once i developed a budget for myself. (necessaties vs luxuries) I also traveled but i usually have to save for like 6 months in order to do so but i do have to agree that NYC is way to expensive. I am now concentrating on saving up a 6 months emergency fund.
I'm in a very similar position to yours but I still choose to live with my parents. I pay rent as well; about 1k/month.

I've been going on this almost 2 years now and I've been able to save some nice change. I have a goal in mind and once I hit it, I'll start thinking about moving out. I'm not frugal either but I don't spend much at all on the other hand. My idea of fun is playing ball, video games, or reading. Not shopping. lol

It's just sad seeing people work hard and only be able to save five thousand a year and that's being generous.
Since when did it become normal living hand to mouth?

I've seen what problems with money can do and what problems money can solve so maybe I'm a bit more weary ,fearful, and understanding in this regard .

Old 07-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
You were absolutely right. I wasn't arguing with you.

I was providing just one reason why wages are so low relative to COL.

Were you working on a 1099? Thoise things are murder and were always reserved for those working on contract making in excess of $60/hr.
It's a big scam among employers now. Pushing low level and FT workers unto 1099's. The IRS has got involved lately.
oh ok...

No, I found my current position thru a temp agency. Had to interview and test with the agency, then do 2 interviews with the actual employer...all for a mind-numbingly boring job which pays a pitiful hourly wage. I'm working on a specific project and agreed to 6 months (would love to leave sooner), however I have already seen some temps here being offered 1099's at the end of their time committment and the wage offered is not much more than I'm making now. This place loves temps- in the short time I've been here, they have brought on 3 new temps to fill-in for vacant full-time positions b/c they "couldn't find a suitable candidate". Really now? Everytime I mention something about how much I dislike my current working situation (to friends/family) I always hear "well, at least you have a job".

Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
oh ok...

No, I found my current position thru a temp agency. Had to interview and test with the agency, then do 2 interviews with the actual employer...all for a mind-numbingly boring job which pays a pitiful hourly wage. I'm working on a specific project and agreed to 6 months (would love to leave sooner), however I have already seen some temps here being offered 1099's at the end of their time committment and the wage offered is not much more than I'm making now. This place loves temps- in the short time I've been here, they have brought on 3 new temps to fill-in for vacant full-time positions b/c they "couldn't find a suitable candidate". Really now? Everytime I mention something about how much I dislike my current working situation (to friends/family) I always hear "well, at least you have a job".
The temp thing is growing out of control as well. Just another way to depress wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City