Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 AM

166 posts, read 443,868 times

Advertisements

I swear these employers do not realize the time, committment and money it takes to earn an advanced degree.

I love how they put "no phone calls" at the end. It's like they just know the phone lines are gonna blow up with desperate ass job seekers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,340 times
My guy friend went to South Carolina and earned an Electrician certificate, real quick. He makes around 60k/year before taxes and pays $700 for a 2 bedroom apartment...with a pool...gated...

I snicker at all the anti-south sentiment on threads. My friends down south aren't even half as stressed as us. I envy them.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I will agree that we are more stressed, and in 2011, at that salary range, salaries are comparable in NYC and most other places in the country..which is why so many working/middle class people are leaving. Same salary, much lower cost of living, less BS, better schools, ability to save/buy a house....it seems like an obvious choice to me.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM

559 posts, read 1,111,726 times
But if one doesn't like the salaries, shouldn't one just leave and move, say, to the South, where the cost of living is lower (and I hear the stress levels are also lower)?

As the labor force decreases, wages should improve for those remaining in the city. Now, xenophobes will point out that "filthy, low-wage immigrants" will just come in. But that's been happening since the 1860s, and that's what made New York--and America--great! That's capitalism, baby!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Congrats to your friend. I also have a friend who dropped out of high school, but earned a refrigeration repair certificate and is now doing okay for himself in NC (aka the "Promised Land" for many NY'ers). I myself was happy to get out of the South. And that was after doing my undergrad there and working there as well.

If you haven't lived in the South, please don't talk about the job prospects there. The cost of living is low because many jobs don't pay anything. A nurse in my family took a 40% cut in pay to live there. Her choice. Of course, everyone can come up with that one friend or cousin who's living well down there, but at the end of the day generalizations about an entire region cannot be made from secondhand accounts.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 AM

Actually, you know what. I take that back. NC is a great place to buy a house...plenty of foreclosures to choose from.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:44 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
Yea many jobs down south pay low-wages, but as evidenced by this thread the jobs in the Big Apple don't pay that much better either...and we're stuck with high COL on top of that to add insult to injury! At least down south I could probably get my own apt and a car for $10 an hour as opposed to 3 roommates in the hood and a $40 metrocard.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:52 PM

346 posts, read 498,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Here's a little calculator that I find a LOT of fun to play with to get an idea of things:

Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com
OMG.

(Why doesn't the CNN website offer Westchester County as one of the choices, but they have Dutchess County, a couple of city boroughs and then places way upstate? Dumb.)

Anyway, I did Nassau County vs. Plano, TX

Groceries: 18% less, Housing: 59% less, Utilities: 26% less, Healthcare: 14% less.

Then when you choose Manhattan, fuggetaboutit!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Yea many jobs down south pay low-wages, but as evidenced by this thread the jobs in the Big Apple don't pay that much better either...and we're stuck with high COL on top of that to add insult to injury! At least down south I could probably get my own apt and a car for $10 an hour as opposed to 3 roommates in the hood and a $40 metrocard.
Hysterical and so so true!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:12 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip8056 View Post
OMG.

(Why doesn't the CNN website offer Westchester County as one of the choices, but they have Dutchess County, a couple of city boroughs and then places way upstate? Dumb.)

Anyway, I did Nassau County vs. Plano, TX

Groceries: 18% less, Housing: 59% less, Utilities: 26% less, Healthcare: 14% less.

Then when you choose Manhattan, fuggetaboutit!
It's unreal! I chose Brooklyn, NY (because they didn't offer Staten Island as a choice) vs. Los Angeles and the difference was quite significant! Utilities would be 48% LESS!! Crazyyyyy!

The only thing that would go up is my transportation and that's because I would probably need to own a car, but I have a friend that moved out to California (West Hollywood) and he gets around fine without a car, he says the public transportation out there isn't as terrible as everyone says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City