Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,466,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip8056 View Post
That's insane!!
Yep!! I was shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,159,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You know, it might have been mentioned in this thread already, but part of the problem (if you want to call it that) is a saturation of degrees. Everybody is going to school now with the idea that the degree guarantees them a job, which is not so. So 10 years ago the employer has 50 resumes with people who have a BA, now its more like 200. So they're going to automatically look for the higher qualifications. Combine that with the economy not doing too well right now and this is the situation you have.

There's all types of jobs that don't require a higher education and make serious money. Whether that's what we choose to do for a living or not, is our choice. Overall my solution for those who are feeling despondent at the moment: switch careers into something that people are always going to constantly need. Mechanics. Fridge repair. Plumbers. Building maintenance. Own a gas station. Web development.

Bingo. Spot on. I would also like to specifically suggest Elevator Mechanic, Electrician and Tailor. Those are jobs that cannot be outsourced. They are hands on labor jobs and can I tell you that it cost me $24 to have my pants tailored in Queens? Took the tailor about 30 minutes to do it, too .

Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,313,464 times
They cannot be outsourced, but they can be done very cheaply by immigrants...which is exactly what is happening. The cost to you is high, but the actual mechanic, electrician, tailor, etc earns significantly less...the company makes all the money. And wages for these occupations are suffering as much downward pressure as everyother occupation.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:53 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,159,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
They cannot be outsourced, but they can be done very cheaply by immigrants...which is exactly what is happening. The cost to you is high, but the actual mechanic, electrician, tailor, etc earns significantly less...the company makes all the money. And wages for these occupations are suffering as much downward pressure as everyother occupation.

Pretty much what happens with every job right? You work to make someone else rich and usually aren't paid enough. :-p

I'm not sure about here, but my friend down in S. Carolina makes over $27/hr as an electirician and gets overtime very often.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,466,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Pretty much what happens with every job right? You work to make someone else rich and usually aren't paid enough. :-p

I'm not sure about here, but my friend down in S. Carolina makes over $27/hr as an electirician and gets overtime very often.
So true. That's why I always say it's better to go into business for yourself. But that's not so easy to do.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,109,572 times
The new normal. We're a poorer society now.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:23 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,546,561 times
There's lots of jobs that can't be outsourced that pay somewhat well. Specialized trades like plumber, electrician, truck driver, police/fire, transit workers, etc. These are regarded as "lower status" jobs though by people who went to college and think they should be a desk jockys or an "analyst" of some sort.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,546,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
So true. That's why I always say it's better to go into business for yourself. But that's not so easy to do.
Not everybody is cut out to be an entrepreneur, let's keep it real.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:26 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,711,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You know, it might have been mentioned in this thread already, but part of the problem (if you want to call it that) is a saturation of degrees. Everybody is going to school now with the idea that the degree guarantees them a job, which is not so. So 10 years ago the employer has 50 resumes with people who have a BA, now its more like 200. So they're going to automatically look for the higher qualifications. Combine that with the economy not doing too well right now and this is the situation you have.

There's all types of jobs that don't require a higher education and make serious money. Whether that's what we choose to do for a living or not, is our choice. Overall my solution for those who are feeling despondent at the moment: switch careers into something that people are always going to constantly need. Mechanics. Fridge repair. Plumbers. Building maintenance. Own a gas station. Web development.
I respectfully (and professionally) disagree with web development being a "trade". Lots of programming involved, and multiple languages at that, not to mention a multitude other things you'd be required to learn before an entry-level job would be a reality. You need a programming degree of some kind. Those ITT tech programs don't cut it for that sort of thing. The only peeps I know without degrees trying to break into that line of work currently wait tables. Unless you're a natural wild talent with a huge portfolio willing to work for dirt, all the places I've worked at won't even consider someone for a web development position without an IT or CS degree.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:30 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,804,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I respectfully (and professionally) disagree with web development being a "trade". Lots of programming involved, and multiple languages at that, not to mention a multitude other things you'd be required to learn before an entry-level job would be a reality. You need a programming degree of some kind. Those ITT tech programs don't cut it for that sort of thing. The only peeps I know without degrees trying to break into that line of work currently wait tables. Unless you're a natural wild talent with a huge portfolio willing to work for dirt, all the places I've worked at won't even consider someone for a web development position without an IT or CS degree.
Duly noted.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City