Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 09:26 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
lol@ego

They have a job
You don't

Statistically, they're better than you.
*Sigh*. I'm just a little bum. LOL. BUt the thing is, I have chosen to hold off and have been temping purposely because I don't want to just settle....come on..don't crush me now. LOL! Let me hold onto some of my pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
*Sigh*. I'm just a little bum. LOL. BUt the thing is, I have chosen to hold off and have been temping purposely because I don't want to just settle....come on..don't crush me now. LOL! Let me hold onto some of my pride.
Just messin' with ya..Good luck on your interview.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Just messin' with ya..Good luck on your interview.
Haha, I know! Thanks

Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Another reason for the low salaries is the old "survival of the fittest" routine, which can work in my experience. You can bring people in at a lower salary, and see who can mature with the organization, especially if they are in an expansion phase. I have done that, myself, and it was an excellent measure because the person who would work hard for $40k always was effective when promoted to the $60-$80k+ level, whereas those who had the entitlement place-holder mentality at $40k did not move within the organization, or left, many times their departure being a mutual decision.

Good luck on your interview, and don't worry about the first line of HR being in their early 20s. I had to interview people after the mid-20s and 30s HR people had seen to the applicants, and they were a bit put off to more than a few times when I was younger than the HR people, especially since I look young for my age anyway. Managing people in their 40s and 50s can be more of a challenge when in your 20s, especially when they say that one has no life experience, or they played practical jokes on the "kid" to underscore comparative youth.

Some in their early 20s with their first "professional" job have not yet settled into a rhythm, so don't ask them about their tenure with the firm, and act as though the two of them are one person who is interviewing you from a 40-something perspective.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Another reason for the low salaries is the old "survival of the fittest" routine, which can work in my experience. You can bring people in at a lower salary, and see who can mature with the organization, especially if they are in an expansion phase. I have done that, myself, and it was an excellent measure because the person who would work hard for $40k always was effective when promoted to the $60-$80k+ level, whereas those who had the entitlement place-holder mentality at $40k did not move within the organization, or left, many times their departure being a mutual decision.

Good luck on your interview, and don't worry about the first line of HR being in their early 20s. I had to interview people after the mid-20s and 30s HR people had seen to the applicants, and they were a bit put off to more than a few times when I was younger than the HR people, especially since I look young for my age anyway. Managing people in their 40s and 50s can be more of a challenge when in your 20s, especially when they say that one has no life experience, or they played practical jokes on the "kid" to underscore comparative youth.

Some in their early 20s with their first "professional" job have not yet settled into a rhythm, so don't ask them about their tenure with the firm, and act as though the two of them are one person who is interviewing you from a 40-something perspective.
Perfect bmwguy..I really appreciate your insight! I'm going to treat them as though I am unaware that they were working as baristas for the last 5 years while I was working in the corporate world (true fact..looked them up online lol). Praying their youthful ignorance works to my advantage! I hope that by the time I'm 40 I am working for myself because I don't think my ego can take being interviewed by those SO young with so much less experience than me. Yes, I said it..at least I admit it!

Last edited by BingCherry; 05-20-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I'll be interviewed by two girls who are ABOUT 22 years old. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Don't let the age of people interviewing you to fool you or make you feel or have preset conditions. I've interviewed folks that's twice my age and even some that could be my grandpa because I was SME and also I have background in behavioral interviews. It's not about age anymore really. It's what you know, how good you are, and who you know. In this case, if the two girls are 22 year old HR folks then age doesn't matter. They'll just ask you basic stuff.

Unless these two are supposed to be SME (subject matter experts) and have hand in hiring you. In that case, you should think about how good they are or who they know to be able to be in that seat across from you to have hand in hiring you.

Throw out all preconception and be who you are. Don't sell an image of yourself they want, which may get you the job but if real you isn't what they wanted. It'll go sour very quick. No one can keep up an image of who someone else wants for long time. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:03 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
the computer's telling me i have to spread some rep around before i can rep you again
Very kind of you....thank you. Just hope everyone (including me) learns from these problems and comes out stronger after the recession is done....if it is ever over.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:18 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Sadly enough this is the new type of america that we live in. Also in this city workers are a commidity, your elitest ny jewish ceo, or your transplant wasp cfo can have you replaced in a moments notice and pay the next shrub the same living wage as what you earned. reps for you though.
Very sad but true. A big part of our problem are not the jobs offering low wages, layoffs or other economic factors, it is that our wants (big fancy houses/expensive apartments & new cars) have become way bigger than our needs. We have forgotten our humility and how to be humble.

We want way more than we actually need to live and be happy.

I used to work for Pfizer pharmaceuticals 5 years in their corporate headquarters on east 42nd street in Manhattan. Decided to accept a job transfer to South Carolina before the recession hit....within 2 years of the job transfer (October 2008) was laid off. Almost lost the home that I had purchased as well as the car. Since that time I have very quickly learned that homes, cars, money, nice salaries and material things do not define me as a person. Now I understand the meaning of living life as a humble human being and being happy with small things.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:19 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Don't let the age of people interviewing you to fool you or make you feel or have preset conditions. I've interviewed folks that's twice my age and even some that could be my grandpa because I was SME and also I have background in behavioral interviews. It's not about age anymore really. It's what you know, how good you are, and who you know. In this case, if the two girls are 22 year old HR folks then age doesn't matter. They'll just ask you basic stuff.

Unless these two are supposed to be SME (subject matter experts) and have hand in hiring you. In that case, you should think about how good they are or who they know to be able to be in that seat across from you to have hand in hiring you.

Throw out all preconception and be who you are. Don't sell an image of yourself they want, which may get you the job but if real you isn't what they wanted. It'll go sour very quick. No one can keep up an image of who someone else wants for long time. Good luck.
I need to respectfully disagree with this. The job market is tough, and there is a ton of competition out there. You need to do what ever it takes to get the job, most people cant afford to be selective with jobs now, take what is available. Most times, interviewers have decided in the first 20 seconds whether or not they will hire you. People hire people they like. Bottom line.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:22 PM

Well the interview went fine. I made the girls laugh, but I TRULY didn't feel ANY strong connections there. It honestly felt weird to be interviewed by such young girls and I felt like I intimidated them a little bit, even though that was not my intention at all. I'm just used to being very corporate and serious in the workplace. My background is corporate finance (think hedge funds) and this office was also a hedge fund, but much more relaxed than I expected.

I didn't allow my ego to get the best of me, but I still can't seem to shake the fact that I'm being interviewed by not-as-bright, way less experienced, younger girls. I'm not that old, myself, but I have always felt very mature for my age and I almost felt like I was being interviewed by my little sister.

Sorry you guys...I just cannot lie or change my feelings. It bothers me. I wish it didn't, but it does. I feel like it's so demeaning. I am not saying the way I feel is right, but I am just being honest. I still don't show it and I know how to act appropriately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City