U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-09-2011, 12:16 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,733,453 times
Reputation: 686

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Temp in what positions?

Def not in front office or operations.
Maybe in the back office?
Uhm yeah, actually in ALL of those areas. Front, middle AND back. Operations Analysts, Finance Analysts, Business Analysts, Admin. Assts, etc etc. ALL WERE TEMP.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2011, 12:23 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,733,453 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
I am not that naive to think it will be easy. However, I am finishing up my work where I am abroad and will have no job when I return back to the States. In Florida it is just as bad as NYC. I have family to stay with for a few months so I might as well try. I would be in the same position if I lived in Florida with family.
...but you won't pay for rent if you have family. It's funny that you mention Florida because a few people I work with have family in Florida and have said that recently SOME of their family have been telling them that they are landing jobs. Even I had someone from Florida contact me about my resume. So yes, it may be bad, but it's a WHOLE different ballpark up here in NYC.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,733,453 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
i agree to a large extent. boring mediocre people who fail to think outside the box just go with brand names. to use a fashion analogy: if you ask a faux fashionista to name movers and shakers in fashion: he/she will likely rattle off the marquee names everyone and their grandmother knows e.g. gucci, prada, armani. but if they show they're unaware of other solid, major, but non-marquee names, then you can pretty much conclude you're talking to a mediocre overall person. so the same goes for faux finance people. there are hundreds of successful well-respected solid not-necessarily-marquee companies looking to hire but if a predictable carrie bradsaw wannabe doesn't read the wsj and other sources of capital markets depth she will be stuck in a small mental box. to her own detriment. what you'll notice is that mediocre people don't think outside the box. i hate mediocrity, especially mediocrity combined with pretense or delusions. predictable mediocrity makes me roll my eyes to the sky. if i were a boss and interviewing lots of people, predictability would be a red flag for me- generally... well, depending on the position. regarding your comment about a big name's effect on a resume, sometimes it can help but here in nyc it's like "uh so what? u think you're special? newsflash. you're not." .. in my book it's not the name that matters, it's the specific position you had and more importantly how happy you were while in it and why. this would be my focus as a boss hiring.
I know. People are brainwashed and easy to manipulate into believing the hype.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
 
Location: NYC
1,981 posts, read 1,647,780 times
Reputation: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
They won't consider a person with 15-20 years because that person would (rightfully) expect more than $15/hr. That person would also expect some respect and not to be ****ed around with. Also, things like sick kids, PTA meetings, etc come up that are soooo inconvenient.
A newly minted grad insures that the 35k salary will be happily (for a time) taken, rules out complete stupidity (for the most part), and you can treat them that much worse because they don't know any better.

As long as there is much more supply than demand in the labor market things like this will go on. Business owners will squeeze workers for as much as they can.

I actually had a friend who is a small business owner (about 1MM in revenue/year) complain to me that the min wage was too high. If only he could pay folks less than min wage than his business would run better. lol Most business owners who run average businesses (as in nothign special, no big YoY growth) , view labor as a cost that takes money out of there pockets. Nothing more. You aren't an asset. You're a liability. Although a necessary liability but a liability nonetheless.
This is very true. I noticed I got a lot more calls for jobs when my resume was less seasoned. I thought that with my experience, and my references, I would have no problem finding a job now, but the opposite is true. I know the economy is also to blame but it's kind of scary.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
 
123 posts, read 126,444 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
...but you won't pay for rent if you have family. It's funny that you mention Florida because a few people I work with have family in Florida and have said that recently SOME of their family have been telling them that they are landing jobs. Even I had someone from Florida contact me about my resume. So yes, it may be bad, but it's a WHOLE different ballpark up here in NYC.
Your right it may not be as bad I don't know because I have not been there for about a year. When I left it was awful. My contacts left in the legal industry tell me no one is hiring. They tell me not to even look it is that bad.

What I do know is that I would have to commute more than an hour to go to a decent paying job. The last time I searched for jobs there, I only found good paying ones in Miami or West Palm. I live in Fort Lauderdale, not a small city but as big either.

I think each person has to weigh one's option in making a decision. I say to myself, I am coming home to no job I can either live in NYC (where I love) or back in FL (which I hate) why not at least try for my dream and if it doesn't work out than go back to Florida.

It is not going to be an easy time but I have a little savings to get me through and I will see what will happen. Worst case I can always apply to teach abroad again until the economy improves.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 12:54 PM
 
123 posts, read 126,444 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
This is very true. I noticed I got a lot more calls for jobs when my resume was less seasoned. I thought that with my experience, and my references, I would have no problem finding a job now, but the opposite is true. I know the economy is also to blame but it's kind of scary.
I actually agree with you. If you are over qualified people will think that you will leave as soon as the economy improves.

The other problem I see though is that companies do not want to train people. So it was hard for people to get work experience. I don't have too much or too little. I am hoping that will work for my advantage.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 01:38 PM
 
Location: UWS
122 posts, read 141,733 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
Your right it may not be as bad I don't know because I have not been there for about a year. When I left it was awful. My contacts left in the legal industry tell me no one is hiring. They tell me not to even look it is that bad.

What I do know is that I would have to commute more than an hour to go to a decent paying job. The last time I searched for jobs there, I only found good paying ones in Miami or West Palm. I live in Fort Lauderdale, not a small city but as big either.

I think each person has to weigh one's option in making a decision. I say to myself, I am coming home to no job I can either live in NYC (where I love) or back in FL (which I hate) why not at least try for my dream and if it doesn't work out than go back to Florida.

It is not going to be an easy time but I have a little savings to get me through and I will see what will happen. Worst case I can always apply to teach abroad again until the economy improves.
There are lots of misinformation in this thread. Things might be difficult in NYC at the moment; but it is nowhere near as bad as they're in the South Florida area. Even in the legal field, where it is truly bad at the moment, it isn't nearly as bad as it is in Miami, for example.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 01:41 PM
 
Location: UWS
122 posts, read 141,733 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
Uhm yeah, actually in ALL of those areas. Front, middle AND back. Operations Analysts, Finance Analysts, Business Analysts, Admin. Assts, etc etc. ALL WERE TEMP.
I can guarantee you GS, nor any other trading firm that I know of, are hiring temps for the front office. They might be hiring interns (paid BTW), but not temps.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,733,453 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizarrony View Post
I can guarantee you GS, nor any other trading firm that I know of, are hiring temps for the front office. They might be hiring interns (paid BTW), but not temps.
You have been spewing ALL kinds of misinformation on this thread. YES, they are. I know because I STAFFED for them!!! Hello, I worked at the recruiting agency that worked with them. Also, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Deutsche Bank, etc. BIG in using our temp services. We get requests from them DAILY.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 02:19 PM
 
Location: NYC
1,981 posts, read 1,647,780 times
Reputation: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
I actually agree with you. If you are over qualified people will think that you will leave as soon as the economy improves.

The other problem I see though is that companies do not want to train people. So it was hard for people to get work experience. I don't have too much or too little. I am hoping that will work for my advantage.
It should work to your advantage that you have a nice in between amount of experience. I have over 15 years admin/legal experience. I even have my paralegal certification and I have had no luck finding anything at all. I did get a call about a year or so ago for a big, well known law firm and I turned it down because I was comfortable at my current job. I could KICK MYSELF now.

I do want to get out of law though, but breaking into another field is hard when all you have is law experience.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top