Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 12:33 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
To add more perspective, my first job after law school in 2001 (at a law firm, as an attorney) paid a whopping $37K a year. That's right, I made 37k because the job market after 9/11 was awful and law firms were firing everyone.

This is a race to the bottom, folks. Get used to it because it's only going to get worse.
Law is not a good area to be in right now. I left and don't regret that decision. It's an oversaturated market, whether you are support staff or partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 02:11 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Actually I take that back. Being a partner in a law firm is always a good thing. Then you become part of that 'upper 1%' the rest of the country loathes. And you can pay your little underling paralegals $12 an hour while billing out at $200 for their services, pocketing the rest as straight profit after paying for overhead. They don't give a flying fu*k if that means the person doing the real work is thrown into poverty. My blood boils at the thought of those creeps.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Law is not a good area to be in right now. I left and don't regret that decision. It's an oversaturated market, whether you are support staff or partner.
Neither is nursing. I left and couldn't be happier. Truth is, my friends in the legal field are doing way better than my nurse friends. Are ALL of them making their maximum potential? No, but most have jobs. Cannot say the same about my nurse friends.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:53 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Actually I take that back. Being a partner in a law firm is always a good thing. Then you become part of that 'upper 1%' the rest of the country loathes. And you can pay your little underling paralegals $12 an hour while billing out at $200 for their services, pocketing the rest as straight profit after paying for overhead. They don't give a flying fu*k if that means the person doing the real work is thrown into poverty. My blood boils at the thought of those creeps.
This is so true. I would never recommend law to anyone. Been in this field over 15 years now and hate it with every ounce of my being. Lawyers are (usually) very difficult to work for too, nasty, demanding, etc. It's a very high stress field.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
This is so true. I would never recommend law to anyone. Been in this field over 15 years now and hate it with every ounce of my being. Lawyers are (usually) very difficult to work for too, nasty, demanding, etc. It's a very high stress field.
I've heard that a LOT. The same holds true for nursing. It's extremely abusive and catty. I was in an ADN program...finished what I started, got my nursing license and applied my college credits elsewhere. Couldn't be happier. If I had to do it all over again I would have gone for Occupational Therapy. That and Physical Therapy are IN demand and have an extremely high rate of satisfaction.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I've heard that a LOT. The same holds true for nursing. It's extremely abusive and catty. I was in an ADN program...finished what I started, got my nursing license and applied my college credits elsewhere. Couldn't be happier. If I had to do it all over again I would have gone for Occupational Therapy. That and Physical Therapy are IN demand and have an extremely high rate of satisfaction.
Yea, I have heard that about nursing as well. Good for you for using your credits to do something else. I have been seriously considering going back to school as well. Seems like that is my only way of getting out of law.

Most people I know in law are miserable. I have become one of them and I just know I cannot do this much longer.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Yea, I have heard that about nursing as well. Good for you for using your credits to do something else. I have been seriously considering going back to school as well. Seems like that is my only way of getting out of law.

Most people I know in law are miserable. I have become one of them and I just know I cannot do this much longer.
Same for nursing! It's already enough to have to worry about whether or not I'm going to kill one of my patients because I'm so overloaded and dealing with the backstabbing and fighting (never ends btw). I thought to myself...I'm not busting my butt to deal with this low class stuff for the rest of my life lol.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Pinkty What did you end up switching to? I ask because I am a RN and looking to switch fields

Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Pinkty What did you end up switching to? I ask because I am a RN and looking to switch fields
I'm back to Corporate America ....for the time being

Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
PS. Why are you looking to switch fields?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City