U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 AM

38 posts, read 43,793 times

Advertisements

It really is a joke. I was lucky enough to make 50K a year with my first full time job out of college. But 50K a year is alot less in NYC with the cost of living than it is anywhere else.
I use to live paycheck to paycheck, when I use to pay 1500 a month. I never understood how it was possible since 50K for a kid out of college you would think is a lot of money. But when you start to study the cost of living, and how the subway fares and tolls raise nearly twice a year a now. It really does start to get you upset.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 AM

933 posts, read 936,719 times
I agree with the other poster to not spend too much time on sites like Craigslist, Indeed, etc. The thing that was always the most effective for me was going straight to the staffing agencies. By going in person I had the chance to sit down with the recruiters and explain my background, skill set, etc. They were able to get a much better sense of who I was than if I had simply sent a resume online. Too many people spend too much time behind a computer. What really will win you success is letting people get to know you in person. You cannot convey who you really are behind a screen. I'm saying you shouldn't still apply online. But think about it- it's a lot easier to simply drop your resume to a website. That's one of the reasons why employers have like 500 of them per job opening. It takes more effort to go in person. It shows you took the time out of your day. It shows you are serious. Too much of job seeking these days is overly impersonal.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:03 AM

10,377 posts, read 3,553,478 times
Does anyone know the names of legit staffing agencies?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:44 AM

161 posts, read 218,553 times
Finally landed a good job in my field with the salary I was going for. How long did it take? Approx. 6 months of searching and in the interim I've had to work as a temp making way less than I should be. I actually found this job online- one of the many online ads I applied to but the difference is I actually got a response this time.

NYC job seekers, stay positive...it takes a long time but it can happen.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 AM

161 posts, read 218,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Does anyone know the names of legit staffing agencies?
What is your field?

Old 09-02-2011, 02:00 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,516,513 times
does anyone know how hard it is to get a job in investments that isn't an entry level we'll sponsor you for your license exams but not quite a senior level advisor?

I'm interning at an investment firm now and i'll be getting hopefully all of the licenses needed (except the health and life insurance one because that one is different for every state) before i graduate in april. Every job i've been looking at have been paying like 30k for the entry level but they'll sponsor you, or they require something like 5 years of experience. I'm in the middle of the two and have been having trouble finding anything that will suit my experience level.

also, do any of you know much about hair salons and what they pay and how hard it is to get into in nyc? my girlfriend graduates from aveda in april as well so we were hoping to move to nyc.

top city for investment banking and a top city for fashion so we figured it would be a good decision

Old 09-02-2011, 05:10 PM

79 posts, read 166,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
What is your field?
i am also looking for staffing agencies for an entry level IT postition.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:43 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,712,052 times
You guys, I just saw an administative position offering $20,000/year.

O.
M.
G.

Ridiculous.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:53 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,493,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
You guys, I just saw an administative position offering $20,000/year.

O.
M.
G.

Ridiculous.
Working poor. They do exist.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:34 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,712,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Working poor. They do exist.

That's $9.60/hr *SMH* DISGUSTING. Doesn't McDonald's pay like $10/hr???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City