Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 03:48 PM

216 posts, read 372,823 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys

I haven't posted in a while, but I did have a question to see if anyone has been in this dilema.

I am still interviewing its now been 3 months. I am working part-time so that is helping. My question though is about accepting a job.

I recently, went on a 1 interview for a position that would be a dream job of mine. It would be an EA to a very high profile person in the financial world. The HR person said she is submitting 3 candidates to him and I am her first choice.

It is taking a while to coordinate a second interview do to the person's schedule. In the mean time I am interviewing for other positions. I am going on a second interview for another position as only an Administrative Assistant. The pay is about 5k less than the other. I received this possible position through a recruiter. It is a temp-perm position. It is not bad but it is not my dream job.

What is the protocol if I did accept the temp-hire position and later I was offered my dream job? I would not want to burn any bridges and the recruitment agency is the only agency I have actually really liked working with. Should I be up front with them about the interview I went on at the other company? (That job I found on my own) How easy is it to leave a temp to perm position while still in the temp part?

Let me just say this is all hypothetical. Nothing has been offered to me, but I would like to hear people's opinions. I read some good advice on this thread before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Haha, hello there! I had a crazy last two months and it's not getting much better, but I've got a cause and a purpose..so I'm gonna post away lol!

I am still so disgusted to see the trend continuing. Unfortunately, there is only ONE me and hundreds of these pathetic jobs.

Again, I encourage people to send emails and call these employers posting jobs like this.

I'm in disbelief that 20k, and such, is being offered. So long as people continue to have the mentality "The economy is bad" we (as a country) are going to continue to be SCREWED out of our wits.

The economy is bad, but how much is the CEO making?

PS. I'm not saying CEOs don't deserve to make a decent penny, but when the employees can hardly feed their kiddos and a $1/hr raise causes chaos..there IS a problem.

When the employees are having their hours cut, pay lowered/frozen or being tripled with workload..that's pretty much extortion in my eyes.
If an employer is offering and someone is willing to take that wage then what is the problem?

If anything blame the people accepting those wages.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
All my friends are flocking to Texas.........
Good luck if you think things are any better in Texas.All the jobs are low paying with no benefits.The cost of living is certainly lower but so are incomes.

Perry’s Texas Miracle is a Texas Sham | Heathen Express | Heathen Express

"
...Said unemployment rate, whilst indeed being below the present national rate of 9.1pc, only makes Texas a mid-table state, since some 23 states, including New York, have lower levels of joblessness.
Texas’ rapid job creation rate has come at the expense of those for whom the jobs are being created. As a right-to-work state, Texas has a lousy record when it comes to workers’ rights and protections. It has by some distance the largest number of employees working at or below the federal minimum wage, $7.25 an hour. 9.5pc of the total labour force earn the bottom rate compared to 2pc in California. Between 2007 and 2010 – the zenith of the Miracle – the number of minimum wage workers in Texas rose from 221,000 to 550,000, an increase of nearly 150pc."

"With the vast majority of jobs being created paying minimum wage, and spending on education and healthcare decreasing, the divide between rich and poor will only expand, and the rate of poverty and illiteracy will inevitably explode."

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-14-2011 at 06:36 PM..

Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Godd luck if you think things are any better in Texas.All the jobs are low paying with no benefits.The cost of living is certainly lower but so are incomes.

There's no question that being a McD's employee is better in Texas than in NYC. The same goes for all low to median income earners.essentially wages for certain jobs are similar across the nation. An accountant in NYC doesn't make significantly more than an accountant in Kansas. Retail employees for Macy's in NYC do not make any more than retail employees for Macy's in Texas.

The winners in NYC are those who want to and can earn higher salaries that are otherwise not available or not paid in other parts of the nation. For example, IBD employees or union tradesman (as NYC is one of the last few strong union cities).

Old 10-14-2011, 06:40 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
There's no question that being a McD's employee is better in Texas than in NYC. The same goes for all low to median income earners.essentially wages for certain jobs are similar across the nation. An accountant in NYC doesn't make significantly more than an accountant in Kansas.

The winners in NYC are this who want to and can earn higher salaries that are otherwise not available or not paid in other parts of the nation. For example, IBD employees or a union laborer in NYC compared to a non union laborer in th Carolinas.
I would agree.......and that is pretty obvious.

The problem is that there are thousands of people flocking to Texas now thinking it's some kind of dream state where everyone has good jobs and lives well and that's just not the reality.

"People who have migrated from their home state to Texas in the hope of getting a better, more fair, shake for themselves and their families have found that it’s not what they were led to believe it was and ended up having to stay in homeless shelters or go back to their home state and stay with relatives or friends."

Old 10-14-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I would agree.......and that is pretty obvious.

The problem is that there are thousands of people flocking to Texas now thinking it's some kind of dream state where everyone has good jobs and lives well and that's just not the reality.

"People who have migrated from their home state to Texas in the hope of getting a better, more fair, shake for themselves and their families have found that it’s not what they were led to believe it was and ended up having to stay in homeless shelters or go back to their home state and stay with relatives or friends."
I agree that people shouldn't believe that Texas or "Middle America" is some kind of utopia but if they can find similar paying jobs there then their QOL will significantly improve.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:34 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
Hi Guys

I haven't posted in a while, but I did have a question to see if anyone has been in this dilema.

I am still interviewing its now been 3 months. I am working part-time so that is helping. My question though is about accepting a job.

I recently, went on a 1 interview for a position that would be a dream job of mine. It would be an EA to a very high profile person in the financial world. The HR person said she is submitting 3 candidates to him and I am her first choice.

It is taking a while to coordinate a second interview do to the person's schedule. In the mean time I am interviewing for other positions. I am going on a second interview for another position as only an Administrative Assistant. The pay is about 5k less than the other. I received this possible position through a recruiter. It is a temp-perm position. It is not bad but it is not my dream job.

What is the protocol if I did accept the temp-hire position and later I was offered my dream job? I would not want to burn any bridges and the recruitment agency is the only agency I have actually really liked working with. Should I be up front with them about the interview I went on at the other company? (That job I found on my own) How easy is it to leave a temp to perm position while still in the temp part?

Let me just say this is all hypothetical. Nothing has been offered to me, but I would like to hear people's opinions. I read some good advice on this thread before.

Don't get your hopes up. All recruiters will tell you this stuff.

I noticed you said "..as ONLY an Administrative Assistant."

My dear, an assistant is pretty much an assistant. Let them call it whatever they want.

ANY job is REAL easy to leave if you want to leave it. You don't owe these employers a thing.

I've worked in agencies, so don't sweat it.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:30 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Aweitzm. Take the jobs as they come, if the one job really is your dream job, then take it. No sense in not taking a dream job because you don't want to make a temp agency mad. As for the company you'd actually be leaving, well they shouldn't have used a temp agency if they can't tolerate an employee or two quitting on short notice.

The only time it can be tricky is if the timing works out to where you have to stall on the temp agency job while negotiating with the dream job. But still, the worst case scenario is that you angered a temp agency, no big deal.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:38 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,012 times
Random Q. Has the NYC area job market always been this bad? Is this something new or has it always been like this? Low wages and 2-3 jobs for the price of one?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
Quote:
Random Q. Has the NYC area job market always been this bad? Is this something new or has it always been like this? Low wages and 2-3 jobs for the price of one?
Well, my mother in law is an NYC cop, and there were some years back in the late 70s early 80s where she worked 2 jobs because that is what it took to pay for a house and raise 5 boys. Now, she did have 5 boys, but other than that their life wasn't extravagant. Her husband was a union contractor too...they both had good jobs, but not good enough to cover everything apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City