Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times

Advertisements

What I would like to know is what the solutions are for this new reality that we are all forced to live with.
Do people continue taking a chance financing these expensive educations just to finish school after all of the money spent and sacrifices just to turn around and not be able to find jobs worthy of their education?

All of this is connected with the promise of some ideal American dream that has dissapointed many while very few ever truly achieve it. It used to be that a good education guaranteed economic success but no more!

People have become increasingly expendable to American corporations in the pursuit of higher profit margins. Where is the balance or are we all guilty of being just as greedy as the corporations? I'm just asking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 05:37 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
What I would like to know is what the solutions are for this new reality that we are all forced to live with.
Do people continue taking a chance financing these expensive educations just to finish school after all of the money spent and sacrifices just to turn around and not be able to find jobs worthy of their education?

All of this is connected with the promise of some ideal American dream that has dissapointed many while very few ever truly achieve it. It used to be that a good education guaranteed economic success but no more!

People have become increasingly expendable to American corporations in the pursuit of higher profit margins. Where is the balance or are we all guilty of being just as greedy as the corporations? I'm just asking!
Our country is out of touch with reality. The vast majority of jobs require a degree, but in actuality, none of the degrees have anything to do with the jobs. They are all positions that one can learn in a few days to a couple of weeks, from what I have seen. Who benefits? I'm not sure. The cost of being educated, in America, is such a steep one. There's so much injustice in our system. The recession has magnified these injustices as well...

Old 05-29-2011, 05:41 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
Our country is out of touch with reality. The vast majority of jobs require a degree, but in actuality, none of the degrees have anything to do with the jobs. They are all positions that one can learn in a few days to a couple of weeks, from what I have seen. Who benefits? I'm not sure. The cost of being educated, in America, is such a steep one. There's so much injustice in our system. The recession has magnified these injustices as well...
the student loan industry benefits. one of the main entities within that industry had a wine tasting event in napa valley under the veil of how can we improve the industry? (yeah right. i bet it was more like how can we pump more money OUT of american youth and families?)

Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
It is a very effed-up system indeed. Even though I came back to Michigan to get my MAcc and professional credentials I WILL still incur some debt (about 15K). Would be cool if I was walking into a good job... not so cool if I don't (and there are no promises at this point). Being fourth in your class used to mean something. I don't have any faith in that these days, seeing who our leaders are. If I'm not emaciated with perfect tit&ies to dream about twisting around, I might as well just lie dead on the sidewalk. Sorry if I offend anyone for speaking truth. The feminist movement was a steaming pile of horse crap. Now we are all just destitute sex objects, even if we are the effin' top of our class. If we can shake our ass around a little, all of that is disregarded. Great morals, y'all. Makes me super-proud to be an American. If we get bombed again I won't be surprised. This is all just a bunch of sh*t.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 05-29-2011 at 06:04 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
It is a very effed-up system indeed. Even though I came back to Michigan to get my MAcc and professional credentials I WILL still incur some debt (about 15K). Would be cool if I was walking into a good job... not so cool if I don't (and there are no promises at this point). Being fourth in your class used to mean something. I don't have any faith in that these days, seeing who our leaders are.
for some reason i think professional credentials are the way to go. the more specialized and not-well-known, the better. in my opinion, those "good" jobs that need specialty credentials aren't advertised because they're a closely guarded secret or a gated community of sorts, for lack of a better phrase. i might express this to my 2 nephews who are in their early 20's. however, they'll likely ask for specific examples but i think it's up to them to seek and find. (i can't make it sooo easy for them lol besides, i don't have tons of examples to give them) .. i think jobseekers in my nephews' age group are casting a wide net, but sadly the net comes up with a lot of sea shells, sea debris, and junk. at face value, it seems sensible to cast a wide net, but really, is it? and to make matters worse, becoming aware of good specialty areas comes with age and experience in my opinion.

Last edited by grimace8; 05-29-2011 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 06:16 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
for some reason i think professional credentials are the way to go. the more specialized and not-well-known, the better. in my opinion, those "good" jobs that need specialty credentials aren't advertised because they're a closely guarded secret or a gated community of sorts, for lack of a better phrase. i might express this to my 2 nephews who are in their early 20's. however, they'll likely ask for specific examples but i think it's up to them to seek and find. (i can't make it sooo easy for them lol besides, i don't have tons of examples to give them) .. i think jobseekers in my nephews' age group are casting a wide net and sadly the net comes up with a lot of sea shells, sea debris, and junk. at face value, it seems sensible to cast a wide net, but really, is it? and to make matters worse, becoming aware of good specialty areas comes with age and experience in my opinion.
These aren't easy credentials to get. The failure rate for those getting these licenses stands at higher than 50%, and you pay out your ass for these tests (and yes, they are non-refundable). Maybe I'm making it sound like anyone can do it. Not just anyone can get CPA/CMA licenses. But they do set you apart from the crowd, for sure. And they make you that much more marketable. Best thing to do is study until you are at 100%. Most go in shaky, thus the high failure rate. Go in knowing damn well what you are walking into and you outta be golden.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
These aren't easy credentials to get. The failure rate for those getting these licenses stands at higher than 50%, and you pay out your ass for these tests (and yes, they are non-refundable). Maybe I'm making it sound like anyone can do it. Not just anyone can get CPA/CMA licenses. But they do set you apart from the crowd, for sure. And they make you that much more marketable. Best thing to do is study until you are at 100%. Most go in shaky, thus the high failure rate. Go in knowing damn well what you are walking into and you outta be golden.
you said the magic words: set yourself apart from the crowd. stand out from the crowd ...... the GOOD jobs want standouts. the really BAD ("exploity") jobs generally do not want standouts. sad but true.

in my opinion you (specifically you) have an advantage because you realize nice specialty areas to settle into do exist and that it takes extra steps to get there. a lot of kids don't think outside the box. they hear about 'extra steps' and 'extra expenses' and immediately they groan. count your blessings you're not "that way".

Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 PM

446 posts, read 997,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Is the job market in Socal that bad? I am hoping to move there in a couple of years, and hope to find something. Of course, I will have a job lined up before I physically move, but I keep hearing such negative things about how the job market there is terrible, I am starting to get nervous.
IT IS THAT BAD. I just moved from Los Angeles to NYC in April. Since last December, I sent out hundreds of resumes to companies in my field all over the country. Location was not a factor for me. I received about 10 responses from companies in NYC. NO responses from companies is Los Angeles even though I was already living and working there. Keep in mind that the NY companies responded even with an out of state address on my resume and no move-date in mind. LA really is in the crapper.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,196 times
I have friends who have applied to 200+ positions in NYC and they've been lucky to get a callback. SoCal and NYC are both in pretty rotten condition if you ask me. I wonder why you seemed to have so much luck applying in NYC. That's not heard of too often. What is your profession?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:39 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I have friends who have applied to 200+ positions in NYC and they've been lucky to get a callback. SoCal and NYC are both in pretty rotten condition if you ask me. I wonder why you seemed to have so much luck applying in NYC. That's not heard of too often. What is your profession?

last year at a Modesto Ca job fair i watch over 700.people apply for 50 jobs in one place along with watching people who had degrees sitting there beening told that if your hired you have to start at the this level of salary and most where willing ..

we had over 400 people apply for 20 jobs that had came open at our place because of people moveing to diff areas of the country or retireing ..

since we had moved up there we hae been going into the local places and checking out people who we think that would do well in our business ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City