U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-17-2011, 01:09 PM

13 posts, read 25,747 times

Advertisements

I've lived in NYC for about 15 years, and have been pretty happy with it. For the last few years, my wife and I have discussed moving off and on. We both have full-time jobs, and freelance, and are active in the arts scene. We also love to go hiking and spend time outdoors. She's fantastic at finding the best spots to explore around the city.

We're both wanting a change of pace and feel out of sync with New York lately. We want more time with our child, less time at work, and more resources (ie: time, money, space). We're also tired of rarely seeing our families. We feel the most logical choice would be to move our family from NYC to either Cleveland or Atlanta area where our families live. I think we like the Northeastern sensibilities of Cleveland more, but the job market sucks and winters are bleak. But most of Atlanta is so bloated with traffic or crime, we don't know where to start. We do know if we stay in NYC, we just want to stay in the city. Neither of us are up for a long commute to live upstate.

I think we're spoiled in thinking a city can have it all - culture, low cost of living, our families, good economy, outdoors. Feels like a no-win situation. Any insight? Anyone doing anything similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 PM

4,214 posts, read 5,012,586 times
I grew up in Cleveland. Spent 23 years there. IMO it's a fun place to live. You can get an awesome condo for next to nothing. There is a beach...kinda. There is Cedar Point which is only about an hour and a half depending on where you live.

Yeah, the winters suck. But if you are moving from New York you are already used to cold weather. At least then you don't have to walk in it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: