U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 07:41 AM

19,440 posts, read 25,766,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Many who work there call it "Welfare Wednesday."
As the "many who work there" line up to collect a check from the taxpayer every week, gotta wonder who is on welfare here.

After all, the Wednesday crowd get to walk among the animals and gardens for free in a location built and maintained by taxpayer funds, but the dimwits who stand around doing nothing actually get city MONEY weekly.
So again, who is the weelfare cheat?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 08:11 AM

548 posts, read 1,693,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
As the "many who work there" line up to collect a check from the taxpayer every week, gotta wonder who is on welfare here.

After all, the Wednesday crowd get to walk among the animals and gardens for free in a location built and maintained by taxpayer funds, but the dimwits who stand around doing nothing actually get city MONEY weekly.
With all due respect, I don't think this makes any sense. The employees at the zoo are WORKING. What evidence do you have that they are not?

"Welfare Wednesday" is obviously a tongue-and-cheek term not meant to be taken completely literally. But, anyone who loves people who don't pay so much should drop by there every Wednesday. And live in the projects. Liberals are right about many things but this is that sort of hypocritical Ivory Tower liberalism.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:38 AM

Gotta love the types who think that the poor should be excluded from City financed operations..."all those WELFARE types have no right to see roses in bloom, or a moose."
I thought they cut off Marie Antoinettes's head but she is still posting.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-25-2013 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-25-2013, 08:47 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,900,769 times
Want to avoid drama and lines? Avoid Wednesday. This applies to anything that is free. Anyone ever go to a beach that has a 10 dollar admittance fee compared to one that is free. There is something to the "If it's free it's for me" If it's free I'll take three.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 AM

4,812 posts, read 6,801,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

How is working at a zoo being a "welfare cheat"?? Their paychecks come from the Wildlife Conservation Society.

The zoo was not built by the city nor was it built on "taxpayer funds"; it was built using private donations. It is not maintained by the taxpayers, either. The land was donated back in the 1800s. Everything that is done there is done by the WCS using private donations.

FYI, the City asked the WCS to take over the Prospect Park Zoo, the Queens Zoo, and the Central Park zoo. The City still gets the gate fees from people visiting these zoos and the only money the WCS makes is from memberships, the concessions, the restaurants, and the gift shops.

Did you know that the city gets all the gate fees when you pay to get in? The only money the WCS keeps from entrance fees is when people buy a membership.

What "dimwits" are you talking about??? The ones who walk around the zoo with the vests on are VOLUNTEER guides who are there to tell people about the animals or to give tours to groups. I've never seen anyone "standing around doing nothing" so maybe you can elaborate on that since you think you know so much about it.

Last edited by Amisi; 05-25-2013 at 09:13 AM..

Old 05-25-2013, 09:11 AM

4,812 posts, read 6,801,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
With all due respect, I don't think this makes any sense. The employees at the zoo are WORKING. What evidence do you have that they are not?

"Welfare Wednesday" is obviously a tongue-and-cheek term not meant to be taken completely literally. But, anyone who loves people who don't pay so much should drop by there every Wednesday. And live in the projects. Liberals are right about many things but this is that sort of hypocritical Ivory Tower liberalism.

He doesn't have any evidence and doesn't know what he's talking about.

Anyone with any brain matter would know that "welfare wednesday" is just a sarcastic remark.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:

The Bronx Zoo is one of the most famous zoos in the world. In 1898, the City
of New York allotted 250 acres of Bronx Park to the New York Zoological Society
to build a park aimed at preserving native animals and promoting zoology.
What part of "allotted 250 acres" do you not understand. Any guess of the current value of 250 acres of the Bronx might be?
When the City GIVES away its land, especially its parkland, the presumption is that it is giving it to the PEOPLE not to a bunch of greedy moneyhoarders.

It seems pretty apparent here who does not know what she is talking about.

Daily NEws, 2009:
Quote:

The Bronx
Zoo

wants to know: How do you lay off a bear or furlough a sea
lion?

Gov. Paterson’s budget proposal would eliminate the
zoo’s state funding in two years, along with living museums across the state —
including the New York Botanical Garden and Wave
Hill

in the Bronx.

With their city funding already snipped and private donations down, the
proposal has left the institutions reeling.
That's state funding, as in STATE funding.

CNN, 2011:
Quote:

The famed Bronx Zoo could lose more than half its operating support from New
York City, under the fiscal 2012 budget proposed earlier this month by Mayor
Michael Bloomberg.

The mayor wants to chop $4.7
million from the zoo and the New York Aquarium, both run by the Wildlife
Conservation Society.
So then the mayor proposed a 50% cut in the $9.4 million/year the CITY kicks from taxpayer funds to the Zoo.
Taking $9 million from the CITY and millions from the state and those PAID workers who dare to talk about Welfare Wednesdays should be fired immediately.

Volunteers? MY ASS:
Quote:
Calvelli said the cut is equivalent to 30 staff positions between the zoo and New York Aquarium in Brooklyn

(Geez, dividing those 30 workers let go becasue of the millions proposed to be cut indicates that these staff workers are paid VERY VERY well, nice fat welfare checks indeed!)

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-26-2013 at 06:14 AM..

Old 05-27-2013, 03:50 PM

3,845 posts, read 7,178,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I love all of these Bronx threads asking about is it safe to go to such and such place.
Who said anything about safety? In your daily rush to bash the rest of the Bronx, you ignored the fact that they're talking about free admission to the zoo, not how safe the surrounding neighborhood is.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:56 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,379,811 times
If anyone has actually been to the Bronx Zoo on the free admission Wednesday, you would note that it should not be called "Welfare Wednesday." The more appropriate name would be "Hasidic Wednesday" or "Ultra-Ortho Wednesday".

I will be going again this Wednesday to see the new Dinosaur exhibit!

Old 05-27-2013, 05:35 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,870,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Who said anything about safety? In your daily rush to bash the rest of the Bronx, you ignored the fact that they're talking about free admission to the zoo, not how safe the surrounding neighborhood is.
Let me see... I wonder where I got that idea from. Maybe the question is asked in the original post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or