U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 06:15 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,292,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Let me see... I wonder where I got that idea from. Maybe the question is asked in the original post?
That wasn't the primary purpose of the thread, though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 06:22 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,893,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That wasn't the primary purpose of the thread, though.
It's very clear that both are being discussed.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:30 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,292,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
It's very clear that both are being discussed.
The title of the thread asks if admission is free on Wednesday. Only one of the five questions he asked mentions anything about safety, and only one post in response (bluedog2's post) mentions anything about safety.

I wouldn't call one post in response a real "discussion". Considering that it's the last question he asked (out of the five), safety was likely an afterthought.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:33 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,893,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The title of the thread asks if admission is free on Wednesday. Only one of the five questions he asked mentions anything about safety, and only one post in response (bluedog2's post) mentions anything about safety.

I wouldn't call one post in response a real "discussion". Considering that it's the last question he asked (out of the five), safety was likely an afterthought.
You asked who said anything about safety? Your question was answered. Seems as if you're beating a dead horse.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 PM

2,591 posts, read 3,373,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
This summer i want to take a Wednesday off to bike from my apartment in Riverdale to The Bronx Zoo. is admission still free on Wednesday? Can you take a bike past the admission part or do you have to lock it up?

Can you take a bike on the Fordham Univ campus? I have an alumni card from the Social Work school(Lincoln Center) which I attended 20 years ago. or are bikes off limits, alumni or not?

My route would be to take Mosholu Pkwy to the old Ted Kazimiroff Blvd into Southern Blvd to the zoo's 182 street entrance.

Would I be safe on S. Blvd between Fordham Rd and 182 street on a bike(I mean in terms of being a crime victim)?
I don't think you're allowed to take bikes into the Fordham Campus, but perhaps it depends on the guard on duty (I wasn't let in on mine and haven't tried since).

There is a bike rack at the Mosholu entrance to the NYBG, I'd assume at the main entrance too.

I've walked there countless times with my kids (the same route). I'd have no concerns about safety.

Last edited by yodel; 05-27-2013 at 07:11 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,928,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
What part of "allotted 250 acres" do you not understand. Any guess of the current value of 250 acres of the Bronx might be?
When the City GIVES away its land, especially its parkland, the presumption is that it is giving it to the PEOPLE not to a bunch of greedy moneyhoarders.
I said the land was GIVEN to the WCS (formerly the NY Zoological Society)

Quote:
That's state funding, as in STATE funding.

CNN, 2011:

So then the mayor proposed a 50% cut in the $9.4 million/year the CITY kicks from taxpayer funds to the Zoo.
Taking $9 million from the CITY and millions from the state and those PAID workers who dare to talk about Welfare Wednesdays should be fired immediately.
It takes a helluva lot more than 9.4M to run ALL the WCS locations. That is a **** in the ocean. Don't forget, the city is getting back EVERY SINGLE GATE FEE that is paid. $13 times how many visitors per year??

Also, I never said there weren't PAID workers. I said the ones you ASSume are "just standing around" the exhibits are VOLUNTEERS. There are plenty of paid workers at all the WCS locations.

Quote:
Volunteers? MY ASS:
No, they don't need an ASS like you volunteering at the zoo. Thanks for the offer. There are plenty of volunteers there now. If you knew anything about the WCS, you would know that.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
I have shown that your argument that the zoo was wholly supported by private donations and run by volunteers was complete and utter fabrication on your part.
Now that you have been shown up for spouting whining nonsense, instead of admitting your errors you persist in talking more gibberish.

Man up...you were completely wrong and I proved it.

The City and State support these institutuions and if the City and State support institutions, the institutions must be for the benefit of THE PEOPLE...not the gentry, nor those who are paid by the taxpayer to look down on people every Wednesday.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 AM

4,827 posts, read 6,928,029 times
No, I was not completely wrong. I made the mistake of not mentioning the little 9.4 million that is given to the WCS each year ---- money that is given back to them via the gate fees.

Private donations and memberships pay for exhibits, events, the upkeep of the zoos/aquarium.

I NEVER said the zoos/aquariums are "run by volunteers". Maybe you should re-read what I posted before you start spouting off your gibberish and asinine statements.

You claim people who work at the zoo are "welfare cheats". How is that??? Prove your point. Welfare cheats? Working people are welfare cheats?

The people who work at the zoos/aquarium are NOT city or state employees. They work for and are paid by the WCS. No one ever said they "look down" on anyone; someone here CLAIMS they make the remark of "welfare wednesday" ---- don't tell me you've never made a sarcastic comment about someone who is paying your salary (customer, etc). So what? Freedom of speech. As long as they're not chanting "welfare wednesday" as people are walking in, it's none of your or anyone else's business what they say.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM

19,084 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
This summer i want to take a Wednesday off to bike from my apartment in Riverdale to The Bronx Zoo. is admission still free on Wednesday? Can you take a bike past the admission part or do you have to lock it up?

Can you take a bike on the Fordham Univ campus? I have an alumni card from the Social Work school(Lincoln Center) which I attended 20 years ago. or are bikes off limits, alumni or not?

My route would be to take Mosholu Pkwy to the old Ted Kazimiroff Blvd into Southern Blvd to the zoo's 182 street entrance.

Would I be safe on S. Blvd between Fordham Rd and 182 street on a bike(I mean in terms of being a crime victim)?
rlrl, did you ever take the bike ride?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-28-2013, 04:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,524,856 times
i posted that one before my mom passed in 8/2011 and i was taking care of her then. i wanted to do it but i am diabetic and my sugar tends to drop when i bike hard and also from the medications i take. once it dropped very low when i was biking on the Concourse and i had to run into a bodega on 198th street to buy a soda to drink. i thought i was gonna faint in the street from the hunger.

then i had cancer surgery last year and now i have developed panic disorder with possible agoraphobia. i only bike locally now (Riverdale) but id still like to do the Fordham/zoo trip but i still don't feel comfortable venturing out on a bike, esp on the Mosholu (beautiful as the bike path is) in the middle of nowhere with no access to a store or bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or