Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:07 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,340 times

Advertisements

So did I really do that great of a job on my tips? I see that this thread has been read several times, but no one has commented. Am I the only one being called like crazy by recruiters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:53 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
they try to tell you how temp-perm is a great opportunity. It's NOT. It's a great opportunity for their pockets (think commission) and another opportunity for the company to get rid of you before they have to start treating you like a reasonable human being and offering benefits.
hmm. i'm not sure if i agree with the above. one the best full-time perm jobs i ever had started off temp to perm and lasted from june 1997 to november 2000 (i quit) (if you also "count" the temp months, my start date = july 1996) .. true, they did get over on me for 11 months, but i liked the job alot, the hours were superb and the people were cool. yes, i would've preferred if they hired me perm sooner but i figured i had to play 'the game'. anyway, over the span i did feel like i 'won' because the boss who dragged her feet in hiring me perm was "asked to leave" (in 1998) or some weird controversy (the details on her departure were hush hush. lol, i didn't care. she and i weren't enemies or anything, she was just kind of weird) .. if i were a boss i would only hire via temp to perm. it's much safer from a boss's standpoint.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
hmm. i'm not sure if i agree with the above. one the best full-time perm jobs i ever had started off temp to perm and lasted from june 1997 to november 2000 (i quit) (if you also "count" the temp months, my start date = july 1996) .. true, they did get over on me for 11 months, but i liked the job alot, the hours were superb and the people were cool. yes, i would've preferred if they hired me perm sooner but i figured i had to play 'the game'. anyway, over the span i did feel like i 'won' because the boss who dragged her feet in hiring me perm was "asked to leave" (in 1998) or some weird controversy (the details on her departure were hush hush. lol, i didn't care. she and i weren't enemies or anything, she was just kind of weird) .. if i were a boss i would only hire via temp to perm. it's much safer from a boss's standpoint.
I totally get what you mean, but of the 30+ recruiters that contacted me in the last week, alone, around 90ish% of them were offering direct hire/permanent gigs. When there are that many offering you perm, why waste your time on temp-perm? The ultimate goal is to land a perm job and I feel like temp-perm is a nice way to make a temp job, which may never even have had the chance to go perm, like it's grandiose.

Look, I worked for an agency and they were placing ads for permanent employments and little did these candidates know that my boss was actually planning on letting them go within 90 days. They don't want to pay benefits. I saw this information in the system.

Bottom line. Don't trust employers and don't place yourself at their mercy more than you already have to.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 AM

PS. LIE ABOUT YOUR CURRENT SALARY. Do NOT be outrageous, but if you are looking to make $50,000/year, tell them you're currently making about $45,000 even if you're really just making $15/hr. My friends work in HR and I have done employment verifications at my previous job. We ONLY confirm the dates the employee worked there....at the absolute most!

It must be true..I've fibbed about my salary a crapload and I always get paid more!

Old 05-21-2011, 12:16 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
I totally get what you mean, but of the 30+ recruiters that contacted me in the last week, alone, around 90ish% of them were offering direct hire/permanent gigs. When there are that many offering you perm, why waste your time on temp-perm?
well for me, the company, the schedule and the job itself (especially my primary co-worker: a very chill, laid-back but hardworking guy (sounds like an odd combo right? lol. i was also glad we were the same age)) were the right fit. then the job sort of changed direction around mid 2000 and i didn't like the changes so i quit.

Quote:
I have done employment verifications at my previous job. We ONLY confirm the dates the employee worked there....at the absolute most!
yes, i believe this. when people said that to me in the 1990s i didn't believe them.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post

yes, i believe this. when people said that to me in the 1990s i didn't believe them.

Neither did I!!---then I actually worked behind the scenes and asked a bunch of my HR friends. I don't think it will EVER change because employment verification is just WAY too expensive to begin with and the BIGGEST thing that SHOULD matter to employers is that you have relevant experience and no criminal charges. If you pass all of that and a drug test, I don't see why any further digging is needed! :-p

Old 05-22-2011, 05:05 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
Quote:
I totally get what you mean, but of the 30+ recruiters that contacted me in the last week, alone, around 90ish% of them were offering direct hire/permanent gigs. When there are that many offering you perm, why waste your time on temp-perm? The ultimate goal is to land a perm job and I feel like temp-perm is a nice way to make a temp job, which may never even have had the chance to go perm, like it's grandiose.

Look, I worked for an agency and they were placing ads for permanent employments and little did these candidates know that my boss was actually planning on letting them go within 90 days. They don't want to pay benefits. I saw this information in the system.

Bottom line. Don't trust employers and don't place yourself at their mercy more than you already have to.
This is one thing I was worried about when working with a recruiter.

Thanks for starting this thread. Great tips!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
This is one thing I was worried about when working with a recruiter.

Thanks for starting this thread. Great tips!
You're welcome! All you have to do is tell them you're only interested in direct-hire and permanent. The job market *IS* taking a turn around the corner. Out of the blue, this week, I noticed the MAJORITY of calls are for direct-hire permanent jobs. Why? The companies are competing with each other a BIT. Who the hell is going to take a temporary position when there are another 1,000 companies that need someone for the same position and will offer perm? Before, perm work was a "privilege" and now it's something employers are going to have to roll back to.

If you don't tell your recruiters that you're ONLY interested in perm I am afraid to say that 9 times out of 10 you're going to waste your time BIG TIME....for two reasons...1) Temp-perm is STILL temporary and I've seen TOO many places NOT bring the person on as a permanent employee..they just use it to LURE YOU IN for the mostpart and 2) You're going to be sent on interviews to non-perm stuff and go crazy trying to work it around your schedule.

I'm not playing this crap with employers anymore. You either interview me for a real job or don't waste my time. I can temp all on my own. I rather take short-term temp because I can switch my schedule up on a day-to-day and weekly basis. With temp-perm you're essentially stuck at a temp job for 40 hours a week..Monday-Friday and there's NO room to interview. I just recently left something like this just so I had an open schedule to interview. I now take a short-term assignment here and there just to cover my butt and keep my savings from decreasing. Do I like living without too much fun money? Nah, but the extra $20,000+/year I'm holding off for, in a job, is going to pay off REAL quick...seriously..my patience will pay off. I strongly encourage everyone to do this.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 AM

**********MAJOR TIP*******************

When you're interviewed EVERY recruiter is going to ask you for a contact name and number of the person you report to or who runs the office. They are ONLY doing this for their OWN benefit and using YOU to make their telemarketing calls. Do you really want to make it that easy for them? That kind of stuff pisses me off, as they could be making US look bad.

I politely tell them that I would be more than happy to disclose that information upon job offer. If you guys have anymore tips about this, feel free to include them. It is NOT uncommon for them to waste your time interviewing JUST to get a list of contacts from you to call them up and try to gain them as clients. Then you NEVER hear from them again. You were used and thrown to the side.

Do as MUCH of your interviewing over the phone as possible. I even made a SKYPE and I'm letting recruiters know I'm available to interview that way as well. Saves SO much time and the BEST recruiting agencies are hip to this and utilizing it as well.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 PM

Just canceled 3 interviews with recruiters because I was called in for an interview directly with the company..obviously this is a crystal clear tip---direct interviews ALWAYS trump ANY other interview you may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City