U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 03:48 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,662,607 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at apartment listings in these 2 areas and I wanna know how those areas are?

And yes, I am a minority so that is not an issue.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 04:24 PM

550 posts, read 1,784,732 times
Jamaica has some rough parts and OK parts---we would need and address (and SOUTH Jamaica is generally rougher); Jamaica Hills is residential safe and middle class; Jamaica Estates is wealthy and expensive---though all apartments are near the more "common" area: the block before the southern boundary of 'hood (Hillside Ave)

Old 05-20-2011, 07:04 PM

15,581 posts, read 24,988,219 times
Jamaica Estates gorgeous !!!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:46 PM

285 posts, read 761,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I've been looking at apartment listings in these 2 areas and I wanna know how those areas are?

Thank you

Jamaica Hills is lovely, Jamaica Estates is even lovelier. The problem you might run into is realtors calling an area either one of those names when, in fact, they might not be. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with many parts of Jamaica. But if you think you might have found a good deal in an upscale area, then you go to see the place and it's so not what you thought. This has happened to me many times.

The area that is north of 179th Street train station is a nice, multicultural area with some nice buildings. If you go very far north, you will only see lovely houses but no buildings. That is a prestigious area, heading toward the Grand Central. If you stay closer to Hillside, you will find Wexford Terrace to be nice (nothing upscale - but nice). There are many doorman buildings in the area but they are not the upscale kind. This area is very close to the first stop on the F train. I lived there when I was single and going to school at night because I found that a lot of the transit workers are out and about so it is not so desolate. There are undesirables, too. But with the F train there, you should be fine. It's not like it is a desolate area.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:47 PM

285 posts, read 761,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
Jamaica has some rough parts and OK parts---we would need and address (and SOUTH Jamaica is generally rougher); Jamaica Hills is residential safe and middle class; Jamaica Estates is wealthy and expensive---though all apartments are near the more "common" area: the block before the southern boundary of 'hood (Hillside Ave)
Agreed. I know the area well, feel free to put up an address or intersection. We can be more accurate with our opinions.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:10 PM

343 posts, read 846,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post

Thank you
what type of minority cause some minorities will not like Jamaica. I don't know about jamaica estates.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 AM

21,452 posts, read 28,329,018 times
I have always assumed all Jamaica to be Hispanic ghetto. I guess I will have to expand my knowledge and take a trip to Jamaica Estates and Jamaica Hills.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:48 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,660,954 times
Holliswood, which is just east of Jamaica Estates is my favorite part of Queens. In addition to the beautiful homes and winding streets, it has some nice garden apartment co-ops and low rise co-ops. If you're looking to buy something, I'd recommend looking there as well.

FYI - None of the neighborhoods referenced by the OP are "ghetto." I think the confusion is that the southside of these neighborhoods are adjacent to Hillside Avenue, which is lively, but certainly not ghetto. This part of Queens is solidly middle class. However, if you are uncomfortable with an ethnic mixture (black, hispanic, asian, guyanese-indian, arab, jewish) this might not be the best place for you. Take a ride out on the F train and check it out.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:01 PM

21,452 posts, read 28,329,018 times
"Ghetto" to me does NOT necessarily mean poor. It means uni-racial, uni-religious, uni-political. An ethnic mix, where I have always lived my whole adult life, is the OPPOSITE of ghetto.

I consider Chelsea to be becoming a gay ghetto much the same way that Union City, NJ, is a Hispanic ghetto and Salt Lake City is a Mormon ghetto, although the income levels between these three ghettos is ENORMOUS.

I use the term completely unperjoratively, only descriptively as an area of extreme "sameness." Sameness is not something I like.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:07 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,660,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
"Ghetto" to me does NOT necessarily mean poor. It means uni-racial, uni-religious, uni-political. An ethnic mix, where I have always lived my whole adult life, is the OPPOSITE of ghetto.

I consider Chelsea to be becoming a gay ghetto much the same way that Union City, NJ, is a Hispanic ghetto and Salt Lake City is a Mormon ghetto, although the income levels between these three ghettos is ENORMOUS.

I use the term completely unperjoratively, only descriptively as an area of extreme "sameness." Sameness is not something I like.
Okay, thanks for clarifying. That said, the areas I listed are quite mulitracial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or