U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:06 PM

952 posts, read 1,389,478 times

Advertisements

I don't hate Manhattan at all, but I love Brooklyn more. Manhattan broke my heart, I used to have so much spontaneous fun and no I'm not talking about the good old days of the 70's and 80's I mean not that long ago. Every year for the last 10 years another one of my favorite places either changes or closes down. I came back only to find a glossier, sterile more predictable Manhattan. I still got love for you though...call me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 PM

14 posts, read 20,712 times
New Yorkers born and raised in the outer boroughs ain't thinking about Manhattan. We don't even go into the city unless we have to. You transplants must be annoying people.

Last edited by Moneyrunner; 05-23-2011 at 09:53 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 PM

141 posts, read 114,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyrunner View Post
New Yorkers born and raised in the outer boroughs ain't thinking about Manhattan. We don't even go into the city unless we have to. You transplants must be annoying people.
haha, yes and the online sentiment towards transplants, its like "[expletive] TRANSPLANT verb [something negative]"

are the transplants condescending to the natives? do all the chinese and japanese inspecting their new property get annoying? language barrier?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 PM

7,162 posts, read 11,921,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen. specific View Post
haha, yes and the online sentiment towards transplants, its like "[expletive] TRANSPLANT verb [something negative]"

are the transplants condescending to the natives? do all the chinese and japanese inspecting their new property get annoying? language barrier?
You have to get one thing straight. There are transplants, natives and immigrants. Immigrants may have been transplanted but that doesn't make them transplants.

And yes, even on a respectable anonymous online forum such as this one, it's ok for natives to trash transplants 'cause natives are so cool (and immigrants don't matter ).

Old 05-25-2011, 05:37 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,066,264 times
I think there is much more anti-Bronx sentiments than Manhattan.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:53 AM

25 posts, read 25,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen. specific View Post
Hey guys, so I've only seen this stuff on the internet but never in person.

You read any online NY news article with comments enabled and the comments are full of the most bitter people that have the nastiest things to say about Manhattan

I know it can be difficult to get something steady going in here, but that is because it is a highly sought location.

Everyone I know that isn't here wishes they were, so seeing the peculiar comments online reminded me of the old aesops fable: The one where the fox wanted the fruit from the tree but after realizing he couldn't ever reach it, started thinking lesser of the fruit and decided they probably tasted bad

would like to know your thoughts, feelings, observations
I love Manhattan - very much so.

But, there are a lot of realities out there, a lot of potential existances. Can't fault anyone for wanting a different existance.

That being said, Manhattan is simply an amazing place on EVERY LEVEL. I guess it comes down to can a person prioritize his life to enjoy it, or does hir or her priorities change and have to find somewhere else to live.

If its the latter, easy to rationalize your choice, based on your needs.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:36 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,188,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyrunner View Post
This is such a good point that a rep point is coming your way!
People don't realize that this is a city full of transplants. As you said those of us born and raised New Yorkers don't think about Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City