Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,356 times

Advertisements

Just moved to new york city, signed a lease for an apartment with a friend, joint and severally liable lease. I can't afford the rent on my own, roommate did not pay the deposit with is about $1500, and he didn't pay his half of the first months rent until two weeks late. I paid my half of the rent and deposit the day I signed the lease. Now the landlord is telling me that he will send a collection agency after both of us if everything is not paid in time.

I read through dozens of articls on this site and know I probably have to take him to small claims court to get the payment, and that my credit will probably be affected because of the collection agency.

I was just wonering how long we have to pay a late payment. Is it 30 days in NYC or less than that?

Also, how much will my credit score drop because of this? My credit is great, how many points will I lose? Its either in the high 700's or low 800's not too sure.

And lastly after I serve him with a written notice asking him to leave - how long with the process of going to court and having the police remove him take?

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM

542 posts, read 1,478,803 times
If you signed a lease WITH him, meaning he also signed, I don't think you can ask him to leave. I think you would only have that power if you are the only one on the lease.
I have never heard of landlords sending a collection agency after someone over rent...they usually just take them straight to court (maybe I am wrong here).

If you have not done this already, explain your situation to your landlord and tell him you want to do the right thing and maybe he can help you. Perhaps he can evict your roommate and then you can find a new roommate.

Also, I would personally get a good lock for your bedroom door. If he isn't paying the rent, you certainly can't trust him living in your house. Put *everything* that is yours that you value in your room. Take lots of pictures as potential future evidence.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 AM

277 posts, read 883,867 times
Arrow Attorneys help with these matters

Jerse,

I am so sorry to hear about your legal problem. May I suggest that you meet with a real estate attorney for a consultation, and not make matters worse by accepting advice here.

Since you are short on money, the attorney may recommend a government agency or give you some other advice.

I wish you the best. I hope you pick up the phone & make an appointment with an attorney soon.

Chau!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:14 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Tthe first question anybody should ask themselves when they are about to share an apartment with anyone is:

Can I afford the rent should my roommate leave?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Tthe first question anybody should ask themselves when they are about to share an apartment with anyone is:

Can I afford the rent should my roommate leave?

That's a good question if you are going to buy a house and want to get a roommate. But moving in somewhere with a roommate most can not afford on their own. If everybody used that logic nobody would move out of there parents house.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
That's a good question if you are going to buy a house and want to get a roommate. But moving in somewhere with a roommate most can not afford on their own. If everybody used that logic nobody would move out of there parents house.

well, then the poster would not be in the prediciment he is in now, with a deadbeat roommate that is not paying rent and cant afford it all himself.

I rest my case.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

Then that means they are not financially ready to leave Mommy and Daddy......and that is not such a bad thing.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM

979 posts, read 4,456,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/u][/b]

Then that means they are not financially ready to leave Mommy and Daddy......and that is not such a bad thing.
Your logic is absurd. It is a "bad thing". If you're still living in mommy's basement because she said it's not such a bad thing because you can't afford to live alone then I'm embarrassed for you. No really! My face is

Old 05-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Your logic is absurd. It is a "bad thing". If you're still living in mommy's basement because she said it's not such a bad thing because you can't afford to live alone then I'm embarrassed for you. No really! My face is
If you cant afford to live alone then you are not ready. I would never want to have to depend on someone else to help me pay the rent.

You are wrong. Your blowing this all out of control.

Oh, BTW, don't be embarrassed for me, I was able to afford my own apartment, I did not need a roommate to help me with the rent.
****sticks tongue out*****

So who is embarrassed now, not me.
***sticks tongue out even further******

Old 05-23-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post

Who said anything about living in a basement.

man, I wish you could read my mind right about now, Oh, and I am a native Brooklynite, so you can just imagine what I am thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City