U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,943 times
Default Best NY public library?

What would you say is the best public library out of all of them?
I'm living in brooklyn now, and the ones near me suck.
Does anyone know if any of the libraries in NY offer scanners, usage of fax machines, and etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 PM

3,715 posts, read 2,618,589 times
Probably the social sciences library around 42nd and 5th Ave I believe. It's a resource library as opposed to checking things out. Also there is another one diagonally across the street from there, which has about 7 floors or so. THey are the best in the city IMO.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 PM

6,829 posts, read 11,134,587 times
I'm not happy with any of the NYC public libraries I've been to for various reasons. It is a great system but there is only so much they can do when they are overburdened with people using them as if they are homeless centers and daycares. If I needed a library on a regular basis, I would look into paying one of the CUNY schools the $250 a year fee for access. I have heard the CUNY Graduate Center is supposed to have a very nice library.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 AM

10,924 posts, read 9,720,072 times
The NYPL is a terrific SYSTEM even though each neighborhood library might not be up to snuff.

I order almost everything ONLINE from the catalogue and it is delivered locally when available. I just use my local branch to retrieve and return the books and maybe read the Times if someone else isn't reading the only copy.

For browsing I like the Mid-Manhattan branch the best...across Fifth from the MAIN and down a bit, like 39th-40th Sts. But it's beeen a while since I've been even THERE.

That TECHNICAL library in the old B.Altman building (34th and Fifth) is pretty snazzy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City