U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:08 PM

971 posts, read 871,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would rather he try and fail than not try at all..which is what everyone else did before him..NADA. You can't win'em all...but at least he is trying...and you fault him for that.
I think your thinking a bit to positive of politicans. If theres one thing I learned about politicians, its they rarely go all out for a pure cause. Money always plays a big factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't "defend" anything, I provide a different point of view to all the pointless Bloomberg bashing. I have to disagree that Bloomberg is unfit to be Mayor..and apparently the majority of NYers also disagree because he earned 3 freakin terms. And he has achieved far more than any of his predessors in the last 20 years combined. If you believe he is lousy, that's ok..I do not and we know Mayors who are LOUSY...Dinkins comes to mind....and Thompson in 2013 no doubt will be lousy as well.
Homey...you defending him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 03:32 PM

950 posts, read 837,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I tried to give you a hundred rep points but it only allowed me two...
This is what people who have no idea what they're talking about don't realize about how fragile this educational system is even moreso after everything that's been done to cripple it... There are people on here that claim that at least Bloomberg is trying to better the system but is that really the case... hasn't education taken some heavy cuts since he's been in office... Was he not the one that started this whole idea of removing art and music programs to put more of an emphasis strictly on education (which ended up having negative results)... Wasn't he the one that has continued to cut teachers and cut programs that had been beneficial to the public educational system because we "simply could not afford it"...

Bloomberg hasn't done anything to improve the educational system... all he's done is speed up the process of tearing it down to the point where it's on the brink of collapse... We have already seen that charter schools are not the answer and yet more and more schools continue to join the list of possible closures to make way for more...

Listen, not everything this man does is bad... I am not a perennial hater of Bloomberg and I don't have this extreme disgust for him as some claim I do... But unless you either live under a rock or are completely blinded by his actions this recent term, it's plain as day that this man is unfit to be mayor of this city... Telling me Thompson was no better is the lamest excuse one could present... Just because Thompson was a terrible option doesn't mean Bloomberg was that much better... point is, neither one of them were fit to be mayor and whichever one was elected we would've had to deal with the problems caused by their mistakes... I do agree that Bloomberg at the time was the lesser of two evils but considering how poorly he's handled this term, I wonder if Thompson could have been worse taking everything into account... (Out of touch personality, poor PR moves, mishandling of weather events, lack of school funding, personal agendas to bring in the rich and elite into power (Cathy Black) without the consent of anyone else... etc.)
Thanks, anon1!!

I think something else that has to be considered here is that if Thompson had won, while he did not have an aggressive personal agenda of "improving" schools, as Bloomberg claims he has, he also would not have allowed and encouraged the rampant abuses of the DOE budget by outside consultants.
Despite the political rhetoric flying around, the ONLY indicator that schools were "doing badly" was the use of the extremely unreliable DOE report cards. Those and the testing data have been proven unreliable and that raises the question as to what exactly was Bloomberg "repairing"?
The truth of the matter is that NYC schools had not changed much over the last 40 years or so, and during the Guliani/Bloomberg years, they either flatlined or worsened slightly. This is according to the Federal test that is considered the gold standard, as opposed to the easily manipulated state tests.
In addition, NYC teachers as a group, only asked some attempt at pay parity with the suburbs. They never expected to be at an equal pay scale and accept that they never will. No matter what Bloomberg tries, we still lose 50% of new teachers within 5 years.
Finally, it is a widely accepted conclusion, even in the DOE administration, that the old District Office/Superintendent system was more efficient and responsive to school and neighborhood needs. The alleged waste nowhere near rivaled the scandalous waste of money since mayoral control was instituted.
It would seem that the whole Guliani/Bloomberg legacy as far as schools are concerned will be one of amazing incopetence and destruction.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:37 PM

7,901 posts, read 13,772,100 times
I didn't vote for Bloomberg this last term. I stopped supporting him after his second term. But what he said here was not so far fetched. Not the most PC thing to say but it's pretty accurate. In the inner city you see a cycle of uneducated people raising uneducated kids.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:10 PM

876 posts, read 1,303,071 times
I want to say that Bloomberg has been very hard on public employees. As a public employee I hate him but as a New Yorker I think hes been doing a great job. The recession would of been a lot worse if he wasnt mayor. He is by far one of the best mayor's I have been alive to see. And for his comment I agree with him 100 percent. Just so you know I am voting for a democrat the next election because it is best for me but not for the city. Democrats are in bed with unions and I have a union job.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:16 PM

876 posts, read 1,303,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Thanks, anon1!!

I think something else that has to be considered here is that if Thompson had won, while he did not have an aggressive personal agenda of "improving" schools, as Bloomberg claims he has, he also would not have allowed and encouraged the rampant abuses of the DOE budget by outside consultants.
Despite the political rhetoric flying around, the ONLY indicator that schools were "doing badly" was the use of the extremely unreliable DOE report cards. Those and the testing data have been proven unreliable and that raises the question as to what exactly was Bloomberg "repairing"?
The truth of the matter is that NYC schools had not changed much over the last 40 years or so, and during the Guliani/Bloomberg years, they either flatlined or worsened slightly. This is according to the Federal test that is considered the gold standard, as opposed to the easily manipulated state tests.
In addition, NYC teachers as a group, only asked some attempt at pay parity with the suburbs. They never expected to be at an equal pay scale and accept that they never will. No matter what Bloomberg tries, we still lose 50% of new teachers within 5 years.
Finally, it is a widely accepted conclusion, even in the DOE administration, that the old District Office/Superintendent system was more efficient and responsive to school and neighborhood needs. The alleged waste nowhere near rivaled the scandalous waste of money since mayoral control was instituted.
It would seem that the whole Guliani/Bloomberg legacy as far as schools are concerned will be one of amazing incopetence and destruction.

I have family who works for the school system. Bloomberg has done a lot. He made those kids who were disruptive held accountable for their actions. Also since he has been mayor the nyc school has spent a lot more per children then before. In fact if you look it up on the internet nyc spends more per student then any of the major cities. Just because they spend so much doesnt mean it is good. Bloomberg has been a pain in the rear end for teachers. And if no one he realizes it anon is a teacher. By the way I would rather pick up garabage, get shot at, or run into a burning building then be a teacher. Nothing more harder then being a public school teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City