U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,630,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist View Post
Sometimes I'm just in the mood for white trash pizza - Dominos
LMFAO!

Hey..I happen to enjoy their 5-5-5 deals if you don't mind me adding!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:36 PM

9,285 posts, read 15,094,275 times
There are a few Papa John's that I know of in Lower Manhattan, on the UES, etc. but I have never ordered from them. Some of the locations have late night delivery, to 1 or 2, which would help their business in the delivery zone, so one would not have to venture out, or wait for another place, like a late-night/24-hour deli to deliver.

I would assume Domino's also has late-night hours. I do know the 89th Street location has been the subject of a picket line with respect to alleged labor violations. Since most orders are by phone and Internet, for delivery, the scope of the picket might not have the same impact as it would in a restaurant dependent upon diners entering/exiting.

With such chains, much depends upon the franchisees, with respect to the quality of the individual outlet. Some are very good, whereas others might tend to be more mediocre, something I find holds true for many franchised restaurant concepts.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 PM

4,847 posts, read 4,910,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
.. Papa Johns to me is absolutely delicious and it at least matches the other pizzeria if not flat out beats them, around my way...
Must suck to live in a neighborhood where Papa Johns is better than a 'regular' pizza joint.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 PM

3,425 posts, read 2,819,598 times
I never understood this either. Who in their right mind would eat at Pizza Hut?

Old 05-24-2011, 11:45 PM

1,655 posts, read 2,788,996 times
Default remote taste buds activation test

Hello!!! You live in Ridgewood next to Rosa's on Fresh Pond road...one of the best pizza joints in the country. . Earth to Anon!. Activate taste buds check one check two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I don't know how you can mention Papa John's in the same sentence as dominoes... I'll give you that Dominoes has tried to get better but Papa Johns was an original mom and pop chain that branched out and kept the same original recipe... Papa Johns to me is absolutely delicious and it at least matches the other pizzeria if not flat out beats them, around my way...

Man now you got me in the mood... Gonna go order myself some right now... thanks man.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:52 PM

35,926 posts, read 55,187,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobermanBoston View Post
Same reason Red Lobster makes a profit in coastal New England, or Borders makes a profit in any urban area.
You must not be keeping up on recent events involving Borders....

Domino's and Papa John's continue to thrive the same way Ford and Toyota continue to thrive even though there are boutique manufacturers out there making far more interesting cars: familiarity, accessibility, and lower prices through higher volume and economies of scale.

And for all the romanticizing of "mom-and-pop" pizza joints, let's face it, a whole lot of 'em churn out product that rivals Domino's in blandness but costs a lot more.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 PM

745 posts, read 511,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist View Post
Sometimes I'm just in the mood for white trash pizza - Dominos
LMFAO. Outrageous!

Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 AM

1,655 posts, read 2,788,996 times
Default the perversion of pizza

There is nothing familiar or or accessible about Papa John's or Domino's here in New York. I know that the rest of the US is a different story.

These pizza mutations did not even arrive here to the mid 1990's. For me a Domino's pizza is like an old friend that went away for a while and returned as a freak. It still may be a familiar friend but man he looks, smells and act really bizarre after a few years ruining himself with drugs or some perverted sex life.

For us Domino's and Papa Johns is a perversion of what pizza should be. I know Domino's is pizza and it's not horrific but it could never be good enough for a true local that grew up here. In working class five boroughs were we enjoyed some of the best pizza in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You must not be keeping up on recent events involving Borders....

Domino's and Papa John's continue to thrive the same way Ford and Toyota continue to thrive even though there are boutique manufacturers out there making far more interesting cars: familiarity, accessibility, and lower prices through higher volume and economies of scale.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 AM

2,800 posts, read 2,509,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
familiarity, accessibility, and lower prices through higher volume and economies of scale.

/thread.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:17 AM

4,847 posts, read 4,910,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
/thread.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City