Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:20 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkFriedRice View Post
I disagree with this. Of course there's gonna be bad chinese take out. But speaking from personal experience, our family owned a few chinese take outs, we never used these can shrimps, it was always frozen raw shrimps, we peel them and de vein every little shrimp, the beef was actually high quality for a restaurant, fresh vegetables always never frozen, and chicken that's fresher than what you get in the supermarket since we buy bulk.
Well, I wish your family would get back in the business and open one close to me. There are more bad take-out than good here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkFriedRice View Post
we never used these can shrimps, it was always frozen raw shrimps, we peel them and de vein every little shrimp, the beef was actually high quality for a restaurant, fresh vegetables always never frozen,
yes, the better ones know how to retain loyal customers via ingredients, etc. i once walked into a takeout during a non busy hour and a woman worker and what appeared to be her 5 year old son were sitting and prepping green vegetables (removing something by hand, no knife). ...i found it cute and highly productive

Old 05-26-2011, 05:10 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancl123 View Post
People who eat Papa Johns and Dominos in a city like NY do not know good pizza. Simple as that. I don't know how these places stay in business as the pizza in NY can be amazing depending on where u go. Try 089 on Arthur Avenue..amazing!!!!!
I agree with you, people in cities like L.A and NYC who date
average looking women are not real men.They can't even tell
the differences between a beautiful woman from an average
woman, Simple as that. They should've try 100 Universal City
Plaza. Amazing!!!

To CMDallas: I also think it's kind of waste of money and time
for people going all the way to Chinatown only to order the
same kind of food they order from the fast-food joints, but maybe
that's just the way they like it.

And yes to the overall quality of Chinese fast-food joints are
not as good as it used to be. I don't think anyone would expect
them to be great or special, but you kind of expect them to be
atleast average like those chain restaurants. You can basically
walk in any chinese take-out and order something and it's no
different in taste and quality then the one from another neighborhood
in the old days, now some of them just terrible.

Back to pizza, people who eat Papa Johns and Dominos not
because they make great pizza, but simply got no choice in
certian neighborhoods where some of their local pizzeria is
worse or no better.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:10 PM

349 posts, read 781,448 times
I have no issues with Papa Johns or Domino's. I actually like Papa Johns. What you have to realize is that most pizza in other parts of the country are like this. It's a different style. That doesn't mean it sucks. NY style is the thin slices that they warm up in a oven when you order it. Just different styles. That said, I'm not sure why you would order from these places when you can get NY style. Sort of defeats the purpose of living here and having access to NY pizza.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,806 times
Hey Upsanddowns- if you do end up buying some pies from Lou Malnati's website make sure to let them defrost really well before putting them in the oven. I let mine sit out on the counter for a good 3-5 hours prior to baking. If I'm short on time I defrost them in the microwave a touch beforehand (very gently, like on 20% for just a few minutes). Trust me, it's heaven. A good change of pace from NY style, and what you are getting would easily cost you 4 or 5 times as much had you ordered it at a restaurant. Although you wouldn't be able to find anything like that in NY. Just like you couldn't find a high-end, perfectly made NY slice in Chicago. It's authentic to the region and is dependent on the type of water used. Can't be duplicated because you can't change the water. You can change everything else, but not that. Well, maybe you could. But it would be so expensive that it would make absolutely no sense. Which is why you should just do the mail-order thing I'm talking about. Gives you a nice change of pace for the same amount of money you'd be throwing down for that crappy PJ excuse for a pie. A perfect way for a New Yorker to have a nice evening at home with a bottle of wine and try something new while throwing the money in the bank for your child's schooling! Lol

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 05-26-2011 at 09:19 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 10:52 PM

161 posts, read 328,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
ugh, whats sad is that well run local shops have to raise costs just to compete with some of this corporate trash. I won't front, there have been times that i've ate some Pizza Hut etc when I was a bit hungry but not without regret. It'll never match the pizza that I have been accustomed to having throughout my life.

I see this whole ordeal like this...eating some of this stuff is like having Beyonce as your girl but sleeping with a blow up doll each night instead. self explanatory.
well that all depends; if Beyonce is not enough ...

Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 PM

161 posts, read 328,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
I agree with you, people in cities like L.A and NYC who date
average looking women are not real men.They can't even tell
the differences between a beautiful woman from an average
woman, Simple as that. They should've try 100 Universal City
Plaza. Amazing!!!
lol

Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,842 times
Thanks for the tips, EastBoundandDownChick!

Old 05-27-2011, 02:15 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
A few reasons:

-In some out of the way nabes in Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn, dominoes and Papa Johns are the only Pizza around for blocks.

-These places make a profit in the city because they are reliable, convenient and generally cheaper. You can order online. A lot of pizza places don't deliver over the phone. You gotta go pick it up.

-Also Dominoes wings are pretty good. I like them better than their pizza honestly.

-Some people prefer the smaller size. Especially a lot of parents when they buy pies for their kids.

-The bulk of their business is pies not individual slices. They can charge less and pay less for ingredients because they have franchise backing and can buy in larger quantities.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:18 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Because is just a myth that every neighborhoods in NYC
got great pizza. The fact is many of the pizzeria just not
that good, especially the ones not owned by Italians. This
is not prejudice against other ethnicities with pizzeria, it's
just my personal experience eating pizza around the city.
And Papa Johns/Dominos is not that bad compare to the
average pizzeria in the city.
This is actually pretty true. The average mom and pop pizza shop in NYC makes a pretty average to mediocre slice. I still prefer that to Dominoes and Papa Johns personally though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City