Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:09 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
I dunno about others guys out there, but I stopped being chivalrous because women stopped appreciating it. Actually, women started opening mocking it. so from now on, women, open your own doors
Tell me about it. Ladies hate it when you do and hate it when you don’t so either way you’re Moderator cut: Language. I remember one time, i helped this lady put her suitcase on the overhead compartment and she literally looked at me like i was a psycho and later commented how she didn't need my help with her suitcase. I wanted to throw it at her when the plane landed!!!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-28-2011 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:16 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,806 times
Quote:
I dunno about others guys out there, but I stopped being chivalrous because women stopped appreciating it. Actually, women started opening mocking it. so from now on, women, open your own doors
Wow, sounds like you had some very bad dating experiences. Not all women are like that!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-28-2011 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-28-2011, 03:02 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
That's before my time, but I'm guessing it started in the late 1960s or 1970s.

What I wonder is exactly when women started going bare-legged for dinner, even into high-end restaurants.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:40 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klato View Post
Tell me about it. Ladies hate it when you do and hate it when you don’t so either way you’re ****ed. I remember one time, i helped this lady put her suitcase on the overhead compartment and she literally looked at me like i was a psycho and later commented how she didn't need my help with her suitcase. I wanted to throw it at her when the plane landed!!!
Don't get discouraged from just one incident and think all women
don't appreciate gentlemen-like gesture. That lady might be one
of those clean freaks who worry about everything another person
touched is contaminated with germs type. I'm sure most ladies out
there will be gladly thank you for your help.

The thing you have to remember is in this day and age women are
also very cautious with male strangers around them. If you want
to help a woman with something, try ask her first. If she agree then
you give her a helping hand. If she say no, walk away with a smile.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:49 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,097 times
Quote:
You're just opening doors for the wrong women.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-28-2011 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-28-2011, 04:39 PM

402 posts, read 852,989 times
Default Comfy

There's some things in life that are more important than being "comfy." People place so much value on being "comfy" that they don't even notice how trashy they look wearing a Guns and Roses t-shirt at a fancy restaurant. And it's not even that much more comfortable. Get a "comfy" pair of slacks and a collared shirt, that's not uncomfortable. It's fine to wear shorts and a tee if your just going around the corner to the drugstore or if you're grabbing Popeye's, but people should really try putting on something a little more than that when you're going about your daily business. And that's what people think looks good too. Women like when men are sharply dressed, and men like when women are sharply dressed. But when people bow to the all mighty "comfy" (and getting dressed up isn't even uncomfortable, by the way) everyone just looks like hell.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I find that if I hold a door open for another man (yes, letting a door slam in a MAN'S face is rude too) I am more likely to get a "THANK YOU" than if I do it for a woman.

Fashion is relative and it's also class sensitive. Time was when the upper classes wore coats, ties, and fancy dresses for dinner AT HOME. BUT it helped a lot if you had servants go out and buy the food, cook it and clean up afterwards. If you REALLY were uper-upper somebody even dressed you.
If a man comes home from working in a mine and his wife spent all day shopping for food,cooking, cleaning, keeping kids from killing one another, they weren't likely to dress to the nines to sit down and eat their gruel.

I doubt if the Lord and Lady Muckety-Muck bother dressing for the average meal only to strip off and gather round the telly afterward.

In New York, with it's abhorrent excuses for kitchens and dining rooms, grabbing a meal out is often very different from DINING OUT, a physical necessity rather than a refined experience.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:32 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
There's some things in life that are more important than being "comfy." People place so much value on being "comfy" that they don't even notice how trashy they look wearing a Guns and Roses t-shirt at a fancy restaurant. And it's not even that much more comfortable. Get a "comfy" pair of slacks and a collared shirt, that's not uncomfortable. It's fine to wear shorts and a tee if your just going around the corner to the drugstore or if you're grabbing Popeye's, but people should really try putting on something a little more than that when you're going about your daily business. And that's what people think looks good too. Women like when men are sharply dressed, and men like when women are sharply dressed. But when people bow to the all mighty "comfy" (and getting dressed up isn't even uncomfortable, by the way) everyone just looks like hell.
who gives a shyt, comfortable is 10 times better than uncomfortable.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:27 PM

782 posts, read 1,108,932 times
I remember when folks got dressed to eat out, to fly, to go shopping, to family gatherings like Christmas and Thanksgiving and the big one was Easter. Women and girls all wore new hats and gloves with matching shoes and purses. I loved it as a little girl in my new patent leathers and hat with the ribbon going down my back. Yes, I am from the olden days...lol. But, I can tell you when folks went casual and I'm surprised that more of the older folks haven't said something BTW. One poster almost had it when she said that she remembers her Mother saying that she used to get all dressed up in her Sunday Best to go window shopping. With the start of progressive relegion church-goers were no longer expected to dress up.."It doesn't matter what you look like, it doesn't matter to the Lord He just wants you to come to his house" I remember hearing that in the pulpit in the 70's (like 73-75). OMG and lets not forget the Hippies for legalizing Blue Jeans either. Remember when they were called dungarees?? Another major contributor was fast food restuarants and drive thru windows. Society took all this and ran with it... But by the 80's people were wearing shorts to church. I was going to say don't blame the hippies because they were a sub-culture...but when you do the Math the timeline is right for those former Hippies to be "growing up" and going mainstream...so, maybe you could blame the hippies??
I see alot of mens singles ads that say they can do black tie but other then weddings..and that's if you are in the wedding party..where do you do black tie?? Not even the symphony or ballet anymore. I see suits more in Banks then anywhere else I think, I was going to say Real Estate but no...Also in here in Phoenix...because of the heat it just makes no sense to wear all those clothes. So there you have it..when Church went casual so did society...anyone disagree??

Last edited by Chanygirl; 05-29-2011 at 09:36 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 06:20 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
It just seems logical to be casual and comfortable.
Why do we have to be uncomfortable, when we can be comfortable....

Like working in Corporate America, shirt and tie, the same job can be done with a regular shirt on without the tie....

oh, the dumb ass rules we have here in America...........****sigh*****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City