U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-16-2007, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 11,933,860 times
Reputation: 985

Advertisements

Ha, your comments are extremely subjective and open for debate.

I could understand sending your daughter to the public Elementary school in Riverdale, however I have heard that the public Middle School is quite horrible. What do you plan on doing for High School? If your daughter doesn't get into Bronx Science or Lehman's High School, will you be sending her to the local public high school?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tnewbill View Post
PS 81 is a good school. My daughter learned more there than her 4 years in St. Margaret of Cortona School (which is over priced and elitist-clickish) There was hardly any supervision at lunch recess at St. Margarets (if you count the 2 or 3 ancient women who stand around and pretend not to see the mayham) They ask for parent volunteers and some show up for their given day some don't but either way they are oblivious to the chaos. My daughter was physically assulted at that school during lunch recess and constantly harrassed and picked on. She had some really good teachers from k-3 grade but 4th grade was the worst. I felt it was a completely wasted year, for she had not learned a thing although she was being passed along with good grades. Her teacher had an uncaring attitude and often abandoned the class while she took long bathroom breaks. When the kids complained that they got picked on or hurt she would state, 'It's not my problem." I finally had enough and pulled my kid out of that hell hole and sent her to ps 81. PS is a great school, she learned so much there. My daughter is now in MS141 and doing terrific! BEWARE the catholic schools...they are ALL mirrors and lights.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2007, 05:11 AM
 
7 posts, read 26,153 times
Reputation: 11
Default Ms 141

My daughter is now at MS 141. A school bus takes her to and from the school as I live in the Riverdale Area and she and I are quite happy with the middle school. Send your child to St. Margaret of Cortona if you want him/her to get a miniminal education. Send your child to MS 141 if you want your child to soar and excel. The catholic schools are nothing but mirrors and lights. My child will most likely remain at MS 141 throughout H.S. as we are very happy with the education and FREE extra curricular activities she gets there after school.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 10:35 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,942 times
Reputation: 14
Default Ps 81

In response to some ignorant comments, just wanted to inform the general public that blacks and latinos DO NOT and SHOULD NOT bring down the general climate of a school. It has a lot more to do with economics than it does race. Since when does a predominantly white school mean a superior education. When will these stereotypes end?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 AM
 
Location: N.Y.C.
657 posts, read 1,716,750 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. flynn View Post
Hi there I am planning on sending my kid to P.S. 81-robert J. Christen School in Riverdale NY. I would like to know about the school.

1. Is it good or is it bad?

2. Is there drugs or gangs in the school, I know this is on Kindergarder to 5th grade but just asking?

3. How are the teachers nice and helpful or just plain selfish?

4. Have ther been any acounts of violence in the school.

5 If this school is wrong what good schools are there in the bronx?

Thatnk you
its a very good school for a public one
the area is deep enough in riverdale i have never heard anything bad at all going on there
also another good public school nearby is p.s. 24 about 8 to 10 mins.away from p.s.81 on the bus
the only problem is there is a jr.high right across the street from it and the kids there can cause trouble
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2007, 10:19 AM
 
Location: N.Y.C.
657 posts, read 1,716,750 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
They bus in half the white kids in my neighborhood, as well. PS 95, the neighborhood school, has a higher number of White Kids in comparison to much of schools in the Bronx. That said, they still form less than 5 of the student body (parents from the Moshulo area send their kids to the school, leading to heavy amounts of Latino's and Blacks). Hence, the parents in my neighborhood figure the school suck (not the case at all) and put their kids on buses to Riverdale. My cousin does, too.
really? cause when i was passing by 95 i saw maybe 1 white kid
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2007, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Bedford Park, Bronx
318 posts, read 746,053 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
They bus in half the white kids in my neighborhood, as well. PS 95, the neighborhood school, has a higher number of White Kids in comparison to much of schools in the Bronx. That said, they still form less than 5 of the student body (parents from the Moshulo area send their kids to the school, leading to heavy amounts of Latino's and Blacks). Hence, the parents in my neighborhood figure the school suck (not the case at all) and put their kids on buses to Riverdale. My cousin does, too.
There are so many references to white = good in terms of neighborhoods and also schools that I could not comment on all of them and still hold down some type of gainful employment. But they continue to trouble me and I agree with Monix that the negative stereotypes need to end. Freak, I find your references to this topic to be particularly frequent. Is there nothing positive about Van Cortlandt Village besides the white people living there? By the way I looked it up andthere's more white kids at PS 8 on Mosholu than PS 95. I guess it must be a better school.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2007, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Bronx, New York
53 posts, read 169,330 times
Reputation: 15
Did I not imply that a Latino and Black school may actually be decent?

Quote:
leading to heavy amounts of Latino's and Blacks). Hence, the parents in my neighborhood figure the school suck (not the case at all)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2007, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 11,933,860 times
Reputation: 985
Can you provide an example of a good, not just decent, majority-Black or Hispanic public school where the average white student doesn't fear for his life on a daily basis? I honestly can't think of one off of the top of my head, at least in my area of the Bronx.

This is one of the main reasons why white flight has been an ongoing problem in NYC. The public schools, with a few notable exceptions, aren't that good and that is why many white people with kids leave the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
There are so many references to white = good in terms of neighborhoods and also schools that I could not comment on all of them and still hold down some type of gainful employment. But they continue to trouble me and I agree with Monix that the negative stereotypes need to end. Freak, I find your references to this topic to be particularly frequent. Is there nothing positive about Van Cortlandt Village besides the white people living there? By the way I looked it up andthere's more white kids at PS 8 on Mosholu than PS 95. I guess it must be a better school.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2007, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Bedford Park, Bronx
318 posts, read 746,053 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Can you provide an example of a good, not just decent, majority-Black or Hispanic public school where the average white student doesn't fear for his life on a daily basis? I honestly can't think of one off of the top of my head, at least in my area of the Bronx.

This is one of the main reasons why white flight has been an ongoing problem in NYC. The public schools, with a few notable exceptions, aren't that good and that is why many white people with kids leave the city.
There are several very good majority minority public schools, PS 280 and 51, in this area to name a couple. It seems PS 81 is one too. Look at insideshools.org and you can search yourself. Constantly bringing up the old stereotypes does no one any good and if anything encourages more segregation. What I'm saying is that if the race of the students is all that the know about the school, maybe you don't know enough to comment. As far as white kids fearing for their lives, we're talking about elementary schools, give me a break.

Freak, I understand that you said the school didn't suck. Again, I'm just questioning why the race of the students should be the focus.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2007, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
10,356 posts, read 18,817,098 times
Reputation: 3791
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Can you provide an example of a good, not just decent, majority-Black or Hispanic public school where the average white student doesn't fear for his life on a daily basis? I honestly can't think of one off of the top of my head, at least in my area of the Bronx.

This is one of the main reasons why white flight has been an ongoing problem in NYC. The public schools, with a few notable exceptions, aren't that good and that is why many white people with kids leave the city.
midwood hs is one of the best schools in brooklyn
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top