U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:42 AM

3 posts, read 6,868 times

Advertisements

My wife and I would like to buy a 2 bedroom apartment for around 400K. We rent in LIC and we dont know much about NYC.

I have friends who live in Forest Hills, but she likes Manhattan and found an apartment for 350K on 118 st Madison. The area seems extremely run down, and the station we walked from (125th st) seemd ok but not sure what it would be at night. She says Central Harlem and Forest Hills/Rego Park are comparable in price, crime rate, etc and feels there is hardly a difference. The maintenance for this building on 1825 Madison Ave seem close to the maintenance level of coops in Forest Hills around 1100/month for around ~1000 sq.

I have a bad feeling about us making a purchase in this building, considering the agent told us the listing was updated on Feb., but also forgot to tell us it was listed since Feb of 2010.

really like some advice on whether these neighboorhoods are similiar.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 02:03 AM

61 posts, read 199,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesrute View Post
My wife and I would like to buy a 2 bedroom apartment for around 400K. We rent in LIC and we dont know much about NYC.

I have friends who live in Forest Hills, but she likes Manhattan and found an apartment for 350K on 118 st Madison. The area seems extremely run down, and the station we walked from (125th st) seemd ok but not sure what it would be at night. She says Central Harlem and Forest Hills/Rego Park are comparable in price, crime rate, etc and feels there is hardly a difference. The maintenance for this building on 1825 Madison Ave seem close to the maintenance level of coops in Forest Hills around 1100/month for around ~1000 sq.

I have a bad feeling about us making a purchase in this building, considering the agent told us the listing was updated on Feb., but also forgot to tell us it was listed since Feb of 2010.

really like some advice on whether these neighboorhoods are similiar.

TIA
There is a HUGE difference in demographics. That part of Manhattan is predominantly black & latino. FH/RP has a lot of upper middle class jews and Russians. I would call it more of a white neighborhood, though if you are black or lationo, you would fit in just fine. It is a matter of personal preference. Statistically the areas may seem similar but FH/RP is much safer IMO. There is beautiful architecture in both areas, that is probably the only similarity I see.

Last edited by LIGuy2011; 05-30-2011 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: Had to add for clarification

Old 05-30-2011, 07:30 AM

29,369 posts, read 30,103,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy2011 View Post
There is a HUGE difference in demographics. That part of Manhattan is predominantly black & latino. FH/RP has a lot of upper middle class jews and Russians. I would call it more of a white neighborhood, though if you are black or lationo, you would fit in just fine. It is a matter of personal preference. Statistically the areas may seem similar but FH/RP is much safer IMO. There is beautiful architecture in both areas, that is probably the only similarity I see.
I agree that Forest Hills/Rego Park are much safer neighborhoods than Central Harlem besides being better neighborhoods in general than Central Harlem.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,612,178 times
Is this a troll question... Forest Hills and Central Harlem comparable in crime???? Sure, why not...

Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 AM

10,187 posts, read 20,119,064 times
You might think about checking out the Jackson Heights historic district. If you end up in the high 70s streets around 35th Ave., your walk to the express trains at 74th/Broadway/Roosevelt Ave would be only about 5 minutes and then the E and F train both only take 12 minutes or so into the east side of midtown. (In other words, the commute is a bit shorter than from Forest Hills)

A few realtor sites to check out are MPC Properties and Jackson Heights Properties. You can google them for the urls.

There are a few recent articles about living in the area:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/re.../06living.html
and
Getting to know your neighborhoods: Jackson Heights provides great space for Queens' stroller set

To answer your original question, I really don't think East Harlem and Forest Hills are similar at all.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM

8,282 posts, read 19,150,167 times
Someone trying to compare Harlem with Forest Hills in terms of crime rates,cleanliness and everything else that goes into the mix to determine day to day quality of life ? That's just crazy ! There are pockets of Harlem that are nice but generally the two are almost complete opposites.

I can only assume that whoever is trying to make this kind of comparison belongs to the "I must live in Manhattan no matter what" club.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-30-2011 at 12:05 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,868 times
Default Thank you all for your replies.

Thank you for all your replies.
Yes, I thought it there was a difference. Wasn't sure what my wife saw in Central Harlem, that i wasnt able to. I also heard that only certain banks were willing to lend for this building in Harlem. And when we ask for financials the agent referred us a buyer attorney that closed on one of the apartments. This unit has been on the market for 1 1/2 years she's convinced this is a hidden gem. Anyway thank you everyone.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:02 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,441,390 times
I would shop around with the 400K. There are nice apts in UWS, UES, Battery park. Also, you might want to check out Hoboken. As soon as I make enough, i am moving to Hoboken.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:07 PM

5,454 posts, read 16,881,985 times
LOL comparable? Must be trolling.

Central Harlem is about as bad a neighborhood as you'll find in the city.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,115,711 times
Until you can inantely determine the difference between neighborhoods such as East Harlem and Forest Hills. I don't think you s/b buying anything.

Spend a couple more years exploring and learning the city. As well as the price points and what they really infer. Marginal areas often appear to have bargain prices, but one person's bargain is another's nightmare.

That area of Harlem works for a lot of people. At this point, I doubt whether you can tell if it'll work for you.

JFYI, NEVER use an attorney recommended by a broker!!!

Yet, it is a good idea to consult with a knowledgable attorney, representing your interest alone, who can explain the purchase process, advise what information you need from the broker/coop/condo in order to make an informeed decision.

You can find competent representation by calling the New York County bar association.

Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City