Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Occasionally you will get a slice that has 2 inches of bare bread on the outside. I just grin and bear it unless it is frequent then the place is stricken from my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:27 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
I have news for you, NY's reputation for the best pizza has been declining for many years, due to almost all pizzerias in Manhattan ranging from average to terrible (especially in Midtown).

And expensive! I ordered 2 slices of pizza yesterday near Union Square - it was $7. And average, at best.

These $1 pizza joints that are popping up will just accelerate the notion that NY's pizza is overrated.

In the outer boroughs and in NJ, it's hard to find a BAD pizza. In Manhattan (where tourists go, and form their opinions on NY pizza) the opposite is true.

So, for the people that live here ... we know that NY pizza is the best, we just know that pizza in Manhattan kind of sucks. Tourists don't know that. Well maybe some do.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:09 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Does anyone actually CARE whether the reputation of New York's pizza is downgraded?
I mean, really, if fewer people from Mahwah come in looking for world class pizza will the world spin off its axis. Are YOU given a check every months if NY pizza is top rated? I'm not.

I couldn't care less if New York pizza is considered wonderful or horrific, as long as I can get a slice of good cheap pizza when I want it.

Heck, there will always be purveyors to sell to the smart Union Square crowd their fill of $3.50/slice pizza. Who knows, maybe even $10 a slice under a crystal chandellier with waiters in tails. Did the old OAK ROOM at the PLAZA serve slices?

Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Kefir would you care if your family was once highly regarded for their work caring for the sick and elderly, and now using your family's name and reputation hundreds of copy cats/posers/fakes/frauds are providing really bad care to the sick and elderly to make a fast buck and now your family's name and reputation is forever associated with crap?

That's the problem. And yes we are all directly/indirectly "given checks" because of NYC reputation for its pizza, food, architecture, historic neighborhoods, theater, art scene, bars, entertainment, Times Sq, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Yankee Stadium, Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Wall St..and on and on..because it makes people WANT to come here, do business here, live here =spend money here, provide jobs, and grow the economy.

To you it's just pizza...but you ain't a NYer anyway so you'll never understand what makes the world go round. We do...

Old 06-08-2011, 03:07 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Does anyone actually CARE whether the reputation of New York's pizza is downgraded?
I mean, really, if fewer people from Mahwah come in looking for world class pizza will the world spin off its axis. Are YOU given a check every months if NY pizza is top rated? I'm not.

I couldn't care less if New York pizza is considered wonderful or horrific, as long as I can get a slice of good cheap pizza when I want it.

Heck, there will always be purveyors to sell to the smart Union Square crowd their fill of $3.50/slice pizza. Who knows, maybe even $10 a slice under a crystal chandellier with waiters in tails. Did the old OAK ROOM at the PLAZA serve slices?
I understand your point. But a lot of us DO care about the reputation, at least a little bit. It bothers us, even slightly, if we were to hear a tourist from Minnesota say "well I came here looking for pizza paradise, but the slice I had at Famous Famiglia was really not much better than Papa John's at home!". It may bother us in varying degrees, but most of us would at least offer some advice on where to get a "real" slice. It's something NYers take pride in. And people from NJ. And CT. The whole tri-state area takes great, great pride in it. (The style is widely known as NY-style, as this is the NY metropolitan area, but the states of NJ and CT also have been heavily involved in the development of great American pizza).

But just to correct you, it's not people from Mahwah coming in looking for good pizza. People from Bergen County aren't tourists in the least. And North Jersey has a ton of excellent pizzerias...you're more likely to come across a good slice there than in Manhattan! True story (not the same as 20 years ago).

Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM

244 posts, read 664,732 times
Hint :

They don't pay people who really know how to make pizza anymore.
Take a look over the counter before you order pizza.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:46 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInQueens View Post
Hint :

Bingo.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:40 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInQueens View Post
Hint :

Yeah, the quantity of ingredients in a $1 pizza is SO complicated it takes a chef to get it right.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default it is harder than you think

If it is so easy why can't anyone outside of the New York metro area or Italy make a great pizza? Why is the pizza so bad outside of these areas? If it is so easy and such a menial task for working class scum to make pizza shouldn't anyone be able to pull it off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
Yeah, the quantity of ingredients in a $1 pizza is SO complicated it takes a chef to get it right.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:50 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,318 times
My mouth waters for a Papa Johns pizza, and not just in the New York metro area either. Dominos I can pass by but even Pizza Hut is okay when I'm really hungry. But we're not talking about "great" pizza here. The thread is about $1 pizza and the fear that it will cause the downfall of New York's reputation. I don't think it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City