Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 AM

87 posts, read 136,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesterUnited View Post
Very true, and I would like for that to change. That's why I never advised the OP to wear anything less than a suit. I simply want HR folk to move their profession forward. Evaluate aptitude and intellect, not attire and hairdos.
It would depend on the nature of the job but most employers do care about physical appearance and are looking for the complete package, not just the intellect or the qualifications.

In my field of Medical Research (no, not sales), if a person came in to interview with dirty or brightly painted nails, messy hair, dirty shoes, visible tattoos, or over accessorizing, and didn't wear business attire, they would not be called back for a second interview regardless.

Our company even has an employee handbook with a 2 page section on dress codes which I think is a little over the top but hey, if that's what they want, that's what I'll do to keep my high paying job that everyone else would love to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 AM

87 posts, read 136,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Invest with what exactly ? bottle caps or trading stamps ? Maybe pulling it off the money tree that grows in the backyard ? I don't know many college grads without jobs that have much money, if any. And what they do have needs to be used for barely minimal living expenses, not CLOTHES. Try telling your landlord you can't pay the rent because you felt it was more important to buy expensive suits.

This country really asks the impossible of people sometimes.
Majority of the college grads either have a scholarship, loan, financial aid, student credit cards, or family that can help out. It is not impossible to borrow money from family or relatives to buy a suit. If my kid asked me for $$ to buy a suit so that he/she can go on an interview, I would take him shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City