Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 10,874 times

Advertisements

I lived on Hood Creek Blvd. and 137th Ave., behind the LLRR from 1958 to 1972. I remember during the summer the planes from Idlewild Airport coming over our house so low that you could see the passengers; I remember Rosie's candy store, and the Italian deli (can't remember the name) on Hook Creek Blvd. I went to St. Clare's. The dances on Fri. nights after conferternity were the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 10,833 times
Hi my name is George Murphy.I Lived at 139-28 247 St my wife is Florence Holden and she lived on 248th st the next block.When we went to PS138 I used to throw snow balls at her, "she sure got even with me!". My wife and I lived in Rosedale most of our lives and moved out in 1970.any one remembering us Please reply

Old 12-03-2007, 06:27 AM

26 posts, read 107,978 times
Smile Rosedale is still nice for the most part

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele295 View Post
I was raised in Rosedale. Lived across the street from the Fire station do you remember the camp Beacon? I miss Brookville park with the winter ice skating we used to do. Moved to Florida in 1990 I love it here. But Rosedale was a wonderful place to have raised a family back then. All my friends and I still keep in very close touch. Miss them all. I was there in 1994 and the area has gone to hell. But my memiories are still sunny.

I don't think you are talking about Rosedale, most of Rosedale is safe and comfortable to live, and it is diverse. North Conduit, Hookcreek BLV and other areas, are good places for families.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:27 AM

34,029 posts, read 47,252,748 times
241st street is getting a little crappy lately that street is becoming a hang out spot.....but not enough impact to bring down the overall neighborhood.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele295 View Post
I was raised in Rosedale. Lived across the street from the Fire station do you remember the camp Beacon? I miss Brookville park with the winter ice skating we used to do. Moved to Florida in 1990 I love it here. But Rosedale was a wonderful place to have raised a family back then. All my friends and I still keep in very close touch. Miss them all. I was there in 1994 and the area has gone to hell. But my memiories are still sunny.
Rosedale was effected by the crack epidemic in the eighties, but it's still nice today, and has very nice homes and tree-lined streets.

Why do you say it's gone to hell?

Old 12-08-2007, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 10,804 times
does anyone Remember Lou Gazzola From Lou's deli on Hookcreek?

Old 12-23-2007, 08:29 PM

16 posts, read 131,761 times
I remember Lou from the Deli. There was a laundry mat close by right and some apartments as well. I used to stop there occasionally when we walked from 135th ave to green acres mall. I remember a large counter and a large man Lou behind it. Lou's deli was a corner store, next to I think it was a vacant lot. Scotti is my last name.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 PM

16 posts, read 131,761 times
If your courious where someone lived in relation to you see your old house and street using google earth http://earth.google.com/ you can type in any address and see your old neighborhood just go to the web site and click on download it's free.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 10,742 times
Just came across this site. What great memories!! I grew up there in the 1960's and moved out in the late 70's. I lived on 144th Avenue a few blocks from "town". I went to P.S. 138. Does anyone remember the top floors were closed due to a major fire in the building? It smelled from the fire. Also it used to go up to 8th grade (only to 6th in my days). Then it was off to JHS 231 (not such good memories). I remember Mrs.Schaumberger's too. I went there and got to dance in the 1964/65 World's Fair in the NY Pavillion. I remember walking on Friday nights to Green Acres. Imagine kids cutting thru movie parking lots, backyards and then walking along Sunrise Hiway?? Life was so different then. We didn't have much money to spend, so we'd all get jello for about 40 cents at Lens in the mall. No parents drove us or picked us up.
I loved my childhood in Rosedale. Great neighbors and friends.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 35,651 times
I actually worked at Len's in the mall. I think the owner's name was Phil. He always had the flames in the window from the grill 2 feet high. When I was a kid I thought it was cool, when I worked their I found out he was just bad on the grill....lol...Yes we didn't have much growing up but that's just the way those times were. the neighbors all new each other and we could play outside all summer long and nobody bothered us. Growing up Rosedale was something special. Never forget the blackout in 76 I think that was awsome....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City