Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 05:56 AM

21 posts, read 83,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivan13 View Post
I think beattys was on same side of post office, near the pharmacy..
That luncheonette was known as 'The Central' in the 50's and early 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 03:03 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,325,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosedaleKid View Post
That luncheonette was known as 'The Central' in the 50's and early 60's.
It was still known as that in the mid-70s. I remember the woman behind the counter was named Betty. I'd go there for coffee before getting on the bus.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 PM

7 posts, read 23,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockndaddy View Post
Drug Bust, Man Greenacres was getting pretty bad that they were selling drugs out of the Pizza place. I thought that only happened on Jamaica Avenue and Merrick Rd. LOL
that was gino's pizza

Old 03-12-2009, 07:34 PM

[quote=JOE JENETTE;7052839]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheEss View Post
So, did we decide? Was the burger place at Conduit and Hook Creek Blvd ever a Westons? I don't think so.

I remember that place being Burger 'n Shake, and briefly, it was called Hagars or Haggars, either like the comic strip character or the cheap polyester dress slacks.

The place at Sunrise Highway and Rockaway Ave was built to be a Westons, a place with seating. The original Westsons was about 2 or 3 blocks further east on Sunrise Highway. It was one of those take-out only places with the white and orange ceramic tile design, and the big light-up orange circles on the roof.

At one point, both of those Wetsons were in operation at the same time.

A few years back I was driving out on Long Island and saw an auto parts store that obviously used to be an old Wetsons. Still had the orange and white tiling and those big orange circles on the roof.

A friend of mine used to work for Wetsons. Like Tom Carvel, the guy who owned the Wetsons chain was also Greek. I still kid around with him asking him the secret of Wetsons secret "Big W" sauce. He laughs and swears he took an oath to carry that secret to the grave.

Later the Wetsons chain was sold to Nathans, and the place at Sunrise & Rockway became a Nathans. Then it became a Roy Rogers, and finally now it is a McDonalds.

If you get nostalgic for the old take out hamburger joints, take a trip out to Great American Burger in Massapequa on Merrick Road. The old tile design, the roof slanting down in the back. Its always crowded with nostalgic folk, and the burgers and fries are pretty good too!

I'm sure everyone remembers the old McDonalds in Rosedale. Not the new one, and not the one before that... the take out only one that used to
its called all american burger in massapequa its the old style taste all grease its a great burger

Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 PM

does anyone remeber fast food hamburger joint on merrick blvd just west of rosedale lanes, last that know of there is a mcdonalds there now

Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 PM

[quote=MikeTheEss;7228164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliKaplan48 View Post

No, I'm right, I distinctly remember two Wetsons operating simultaneously within two blocks of each other.

And your memory is absolutely mistaken. Before that location even became a McDonalds it had already been a Wetsons, a Nathans, a Roy Rogers, and *THEN* a McDonalds. It didn't become a McDonalds until Wetsons had already been out of business for 25-30 years.
mcdonalds openned in the late 1980's if i rember correctly

Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryshap View Post
McCabes was a great place to hang out, It burned down two or three times before it disappeared.
brookville blvd and flb

Old 03-12-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryshap View Post
Back in the 60s I remember walking to Green Acres and there were some important places to visit. The first place that comes to mind was Denisens, they had the latest fad stuff. Remember buying posters to put up in your bedroom. Then to Newberrys to visit the monkey in the pet department. Gimbles had a lot of cool stuff, lots of gadgets. Remember that thing with all the hanging balls that used to knock back and forth. Definitely a slice of pizza, but if you had a dollar you could get a burger at Lens. My girlfriend worked at the fountain in Wallgreens, free burgers! Friendly Frost had the latest electronics and a Radio Shack in the basement. I would really like one of those pretzels 3 for a quarter right now...
lol instead 3@ .25 its 1 @ $3.00 now

Old 03-19-2009, 09:50 AM

22 posts, read 131,793 times
Default Tss

I know its not Rosedale, but TSS in Lawrence haad some good pretzels also. Come to think of it, what didnt that store have ???

Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,325,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat L View Post
I know its not Rosedale, but TSS in Lawrence haad some good pretzels also. Come to think of it, what didnt that store have ???
TSS was a good cheap store. I loved going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City