U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,811 times
Default Rosedale 58-69

Wow this brought back some memories!!! I lived at the end of Francis Lewis and Hungry harbor Road. Across from the old farm stand and the dredge. Went to PS 138. Walked every day! Later shipped to 231. Had friends all over Rosedale. Fished for "sunny's" in Brookville Park, crabbed at the old colvert in Hook Creek. It's a wonder I'm not glowing in the dark now. Communion at St Clair and confirmation at St Pius. Also lived on 147th Road when we first got to Rosedale in 58. I was 5. Fell off my bike and met Doc Schwartz on my first day. It was a house call. Left for Fla. in August of 69. What a lifestyle change. Bought a surfboard, grew my hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,382 times
Does anyone remember the Truitt murder in the 60's? Brother killed younger sister in her bedroom. I went to S.C.S. with all the Truitts. Tragic. The one charged in the murder died young. I think shortly after being released from detention.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,587 times
Wow>these were the days. You dont get this anymore. I remember Mike Squtcharini (spelling) the day the gypsy was shot in town!

Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,564 times
I visited my cousin,Violet, who lived on 241st in Rosedale. The BEST times in my life were spent there. One of my memories of a local jaunt was Valerios. My Aunt would send me there for small groceries. They had the BEST ham I have ever eaten, and have not tasted better sliced ham in ages. Rosies was a candy store around the corner next to a drugstore whose name I cannot remember. Does anyone remember the name of the drugstore I am referring to? It has been over 40 yrs. but I will never forget the awesome block party we had on 241st. My Uncle was a big hit because he dragged his player piano out on the "stoops" and everyone got to play a roll. It was so much fun.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,688 times
Default Rosedale Memories

Just spent the past two hours reading this thread and it brought back some wonderful memories. So many subjects I'd love to address but I believe I'll start with something that wasn't mentioned. Who remembers the giant dinosaur at the Sinclair gas station on Sunrise HWY in front of the drive in theatre.

I know the Sinclair station was actually in Valley Stream but the dinosaur was sort of a Rosedale landmark. Once you passed the dinosaur you knew you had just left the NY City limits and Rosedale behind you.

Earlier in the thread somebody mentioned the storm drain at the northern end of Brookville Park. When I was growing up the storm drain was known to most kids as echo tunnel.

Back in the 1960's and early 70's you could actually walk through echo tunnel and come up through an open manhole cover on the north side of Conduit Blvd and the LIRR tracks.

Once you came up through the manhole you still had to cross two westbound lanes of traffic on the parkway to reach the park with the tennis and basketball courts on Mentone. I must have gone through that tunnel a hundred times and a few of those times it saved my friends and I from catching a beating.

Shout out to John Sevelli. I recall the drag racing on Mentone very well. Saw a corvette crash head on into the center pillar of the LIRR trestle and the vette's body broke apart like it was plastic. Wait a second. It was plastic, or fiberglass to be exact.

John also mentioned the name Ronnie Pepitone. If Ron's house was located on a dead end street east of Hook Creek and next to the drive in and drove a 1967 SS 396 Chevelle than I hung around with his younger brother. And I also recall your green javelin driving through the neighborhood.

Last edited by JockoD; 06-01-2010 at 01:50 AM.. Reason: Correction

Old 06-02-2010, 09:04 AM

57 posts, read 112,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoD View Post
Just spent the past two hours reading this thread and it brought back some wonderful memories. So many subjects I'd love to address but I believe I'll start with something that wasn't mentioned. Who remembers the giant dinosaur at the Sinclair gas station on Sunrise HWY in front of the drive in theatre.

I know the Sinclair station was actually in Valley Stream but the dinosaur was sort of a Rosedale landmark. Once you passed the dinosaur you knew you had just left the NY City limits and Rosedale behind you.

Earlier in the thread somebody mentioned the storm drain at the northern end of Brookville Park. When I was growing up the storm drain was known to most kids as echo tunnel.

Back in the 1960's and early 70's you could actually walk through echo tunnel and come up through an open manhole cover on the north side of Conduit Blvd and the LIRR tracks.

Once you came up through the manhole you still had to cross two westbound lanes of traffic on the parkway to reach the park with the tennis and basketball courts on Mentone. I must have gone through that tunnel a hundred times and a few of those times it saved my friends and I from catching a beating.

Shout out to John Sevelli. I recall the drag racing on Mentone very well. Saw a corvette crash head on into the center pillar of the LIRR trestle and the vette's body broke apart like it was plastic. Wait a second. It was plastic, or fiberglass to be exact.

John also mentioned the name Ronnie Pepitone. If Ron's house was located on a dead end street east of Hook Creek and next to the drive in and drove a 1967 SS 396 Chevelle than I hung around with his younger brother. And I also recall your green javelin driving through the neighborhood.
Ronnie had a white 1967 GTO and a sister Patty contact me

Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 AM

58 posts, read 121,236 times
You're right on the money as far as Ronnie's house. I hung out with Michael (Peppy) his younger brother....he drove a Ford Fairlane called 'Osmosis". I drove a 72 blue Maverick with a 302 in it. Use to race it at Mentone and also over at Airport City. Peppy would run his...Richie Faila had GTO he ran and whatever car Tommy McBride had at the time.

Some good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoD View Post

Old 06-03-2010, 03:13 PM

2,171 posts, read 2,633,792 times
Does anyone know when St. Mary Magdalene School closed?

Old 06-10-2010, 02:52 AM

4 posts, read 7,688 times
Guess I was wrong about the type of car Ronnie drove. The white 67 GTO John S mentioned definitely rings a bell but I also recall a blue 67 SS-396 Chevelle in the area. Perhaps the Chevelle belonged to one of Ronnie's friends or one of the Pepitone's neighbors.

Shout out to Queens 54. I too hung out with Peppy and Ritchie Faila but this was before any of us had a drivers license. I can still recall Peppy in his black derby and If I'm not mistaken he also answered to the name "Mick" during his mid teen years.

By the time I started driving I was gone from Rosedale but I can just imagine the awesome times you guys must have had going from your late teen years into your early twenties.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 AM

58 posts, read 121,236 times
Plenty of good times and great memories. Ritchie owns an Italian Restaurant in Oceanside. When I was in last he said Peppy has been in to see him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City