U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 08:07 PM

7 posts, read 33,090 times

Advertisements

Yes- I remember the concrete barrels in the playground. I also remember growing plants in milk containers in kindergarden at 138.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 11:02 AM

58 posts, read 212,210 times
Default P.s. 138

There was also the school patrol...use to watch for anyone running during recess at lunch time. If they caught you running you were put in the "circle" and given a "white slip".

Old 07-25-2010, 05:04 AM

3 posts, read 13,436 times
Talking MOB in Rosedale

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingprincess View Post
I can tell you this, if you drive down 147th ave. you will see in grafitti "Mobsdale" written on a fence on the right hand side of 147th when you are leaving Green Acres Mall. I'm not sure if any MOB people lived in Rosedale back in the day, but I do remember hearing stories about the Mob dumping bodies in the swamp by Snake Road and in the lake in Springfield Park back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Anyway who cares if they lived there a long time ago - they're "ghosts" of Rosedale PAST, they sure don't live there in the year 2008...
We moved to Rosedale in 1972, I would not say it was Mobsdale at that time but rumor had it that some members of the Mob lived there. They had the nicest homes, the things they would do to their property was amazing! No one can say it was the MOB but there was a heavy presence of Italian Americans that is for sure with lavish homes. I remember loving Christmas time, enjoying their Christmas decorations, still the best I've ever seen. Brookville going to snake road had the nicest homes, well kept, amazing landscaping for those days. I miss seeing those well kept homes on brookville... however there are so many beautiful renovated homes in Rosedale now. They are well kept and w/manicured landscaping by west indian and american black americans. Over all Place is still nice. Yes things changed the schools are not what they used to be, and 243rd is something left to be desired, but overall Rosedale is still a very nice place to live.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:44 AM

3 posts, read 13,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingprincess View Post
Hello Jetscheerchick:

I Lived In Rosedale For 34 Years. I Moved Away Only 2 Years Ago. I Read A Post That You Sent In About When The Bridges Were Broken And The Tennis Courts Were Ruined And I Remember That Time Vividly Even Though I Was Between The Ages Of 4-6 Years Old. I Had A Sister Who Was Quite A Bit Older Than Me - 11 Years To Be Exact - And So I Remember Going With Her To The Park Alot And I Always Wondered Why Everything Was Broken Back Then. I Remember How Racist Rosedale Was - And I Am A White Woman By The Way. I Remember Being Very Young And Sitting On My Babysitter's Porch - She Lived About 4 Blocks Away From "town" - And All Of The Horrible Things That Her And Her Neighbors Would Say Whenever A Black Person Walked Down "their" Street. I Remember Thinking Even At Such A Young Age That They Were Crazy. When They Would Start Their Rantings I Would Go Inside, I Never Wanted To Be Associated With Individuals Like That, You See, I Lived On "the Other Side Of Brookville Park" (in Between 225th Street And Brookville Park) When I Was Growing Up In The 1970's There Were Kids Of Every Race On That Side, So I Was Friends With Black Kids, Spanish Kids, Indian Kids, Chinese Kids. I Didn't See Color Then And I Definitely Don't See It Now. I'm Tired Of Hearing All Of These "old Timer Rosedalians" Talking About How Bad The Neighborhood Is And How It Isn't Like The Old Days. They Are Soooooooooo Wrong! I'm 36 Years Old And I Loved Growing Up In Rosedale! Me And My Friends Had A Blast And We All Played Together;however, Whenever We Would Go To "town" We Were Constantly Harrassed By Numerous Racists Whites. I Remember Them Burning A Cross On The First Black Person's House Who Moved Into The "white Side" - I Was 10 Years Old And I Was Horrified. And There Was A Person On One Of These Message Boards Who Said There Was No "kkk" Or No "clan" In Rosedale, Well Then Tell Me Why When I Was Growing Up I Saw "kkk" In Grafitti All Over Brookville Park And Why Was A Cross Burned On A Black Family's Front Lawn Back In 1981? I Remember When My Side Of Brookville Park "changed" And All Of The Different Ethnicities Moved Away Making My Side Completely Black By 1983 - With The Exception Of Me And My Mother And A Few Very Elderly Whites. The "white Side" Of Rosedale Started To Change In The Early 1990's When I Was In My Early 20's. There Were For Sale Signs All Over The Place! I Think They Call It "white Flight". They Ran As Far Away As They Could And Now They Are On These Message Boards Crying About How "bad" Rosedale Is! Unbelievable. When I Was A Little Kid - Brookville Park Was Full Of White "drug Addicts" And The Park Was Ruined By Them. I Remember All Of The Cars Parked Inside Of Brookville And All The Broken Beer Bottles All Over The Place - And These Were Whites That Did This, Not Blacks. I Wonder Why All Of These Former Rosedalians Think Rosedale Is Sooo Bad? Is It Because It Is Mainly Black Now? Does Black = Bad? Hmmn, I Wonder If Rosedale Was Still White Would They Still Feel The Same Way. Let Me State For The Record, My Son Is 10 Years Old And He Was Raised In Rosedale Until He Was 8 Years Old. The Kids Were Wonderful! I Would Take Him And All Of His Friends To Brookville Park Every Weekend, And Guess What? They Would Go To The Playground, Play Baseball, Play Basketball, Ride Bikes Up And Down The Giant Hill By The Tennis Courts, Go And Feed The Ducks By The Lake Where There Are Only Steps Now And The Boathouse Is Gone, My Son And His Friends Loved "the Gully" As The Old Rosedalians Called It - We Call It The "brooke" - Which Is By The Old Pipe And The Tennis Courts, They Played Tennis, Frisbee, Jumprope, Hopscotch, Etc... I Could Go On And On. Rosedale Is Not A Bad Place, It's Just Filled With A Group Of People Who Are Of A Different Complexion. That Doesn't Make It "bad". I Will Admit That During The 1980's There Was Alot Of Crime, But By The Time My Son Was Born - 10 Years Ago - The Crime Went Down And Rosedale Became The Place That I Remembered As A Child Except Now My Son Was Able To Enjoy It Just As Much As I Did. I Wish There Were More People In My Age Group That Wrote In To These Forums Who Could Set The Record Straight. I'm Sick And Tired Of People Saying Negative Things About A Place That I Hold Very Dear In My Heart.
We moved to Rosedale 38 years ago, I agree with you vikingprincess, it's time for the truth to be told. Rosedale is a wonderful place to raise children. I am so familiar with all you mentioned and also have many awesome memories of sleding in the snow, ice skating , catch crabs in the lake, my brother gathering frogs, up to my kids running from the geese and enjoying the same park I grew up having fun in! Really great memories.

Sadly, in all honesty I had my share of really bad memories as well. Rosedale in the early 70's was racially difficult to say the least. I remember the black family from Jamaica whose home was bombed. I remember Brookville Park and how there was a war between black and white kids it was a war zone horrible very sad. Most of the whites did eventually leave when the blacks moved in. I didn't understand why at that time. My best friend who lived next door moved as well, I will never forget her. So sad when people are ignorant like that. I had friends (young boys) whos parents dressed them up as black women. They painted them black and put wigs on them and what they called "mamie house dresses" on them for holloween. The parents taught their children hatred and ugliness. They would provoke the children to treat us badly since they themselves personally could not. . When we went out on holloween there was a lady 1 block up from us that used to put things in the apples and on the candy to make the black kids sick. She was very old and hated blacks. She even put a razor blade in an apple! The raicial issues were horrible. I remember crying all the time when I was oppressed and could not figure out what I did to them and why they kept calling me "*****" or "Kizzy". I actually thought I was ugly and that's why they didnt want to be my friend. I didnt understand it was my skin color back then. I was never thaught that by my parents. They never taught us that hatred. Dad would always say, "Chin up when the time is right you will meet really good friends that will be your friends for life! These people are NOT your friends. Friends do not treat innocent young sweet girls like you that way!" I always looked forward to that. I love my dad so much

The worse racial tension I experienced was the burning of the cross on our lawn and spray painting of "******" on our door. Young white males in their late teens to early 20's would drive by in sports cars and do these things for fun. I remember one guy driving chevy got out of his car spray painted "******" on my friends door across the street. We were outside play, jumping rope, playing stick ball etc. I was young like 4th or 5th grade. Some of the older guys on the block saw him and ran to stop him. They were sick of the games and wanted to catch the idiots that were doing that. The police did nothing when we complained. This time we all saw the guy when he did it. The white guy jumped in his car and tried to get away, but my neighbors got to the car just as he was pulling off and pulled him right out of the car thru the window. Another neighbor had to jump in the white guys car and park it because it was rolling away! They held that guy there until the police came. The fear in the white guy's face was classic He really didn't think he was going to get caught, but he was so slow. Why would you do that in the summer, broad daylight with all the kids outside playing, what a nut! The other was when I was about 7 or 8 and we came home to a burning cross on our lawn. My parents were so upset, at that time I didnt understand what was going on, they never spoke hatred to us. All I saw was fire and that was enough to upset me. Most black children were afraid to go anywhere alone. I was concerned based on what I heard. But, my mom would never let me out of her sight anyway. She was a stay at home mom and we were always together. I was blessed! I didnt have to come home form school and wait for my parents to show up from work. Mom was always there. It was great!

When I went to 231 boy was that crazy. They were trying to integrate the schools. The whites in Rosedale did not want to be bused. They didn't want their kids going to school with blacks. That is a mess, the media was always at my house interviewing my mom. I was in ICG (intellectually gifted children) class in 181 and went into SP in 231. We graduated and were placed in the 10th grade. While in class everything was fine, but when we got out of school, that is when the name called started the Kizzy and the ****** calling. At that age I could not figure out why you liked me in class but hated me out of class. I thought hey were crazy! I still remember the names of my oppressors, I guess its a scar if you will. But, that God I never hated back... and still don't. I just find it a shame that children are taught such ugliness and its carried down from generation to generation. Very sad...

I moved when I got married and moved back to live with my mom in 2004, my mom God bless her soul has gone home to be with the Lord in 2008. I am still here trying to move in... get myself reaquainted with the neighborhood and settling in. Where I live the same people are still here from the 70's we have an awesome network of neighbors all colors from white/asian/black/spanish. We love each other and take care of each other. Just like in old Rosedalian time, we look out for each others children, watch each other's homes when we vacation. We BBQ, celebrate holidays together and family events. We are the children of the original owners who are not middle aged and the original owners who are now senior citizens. It's a pleasure really. My children are grown now. My son is married and has a little boy. They live in Fresh Meadows, and my "baby" girl is 17 a senior in HS on her way to college. My grandson who is bi racial is now experiencing the life of Rosedale, the geese in Brookville Park, the play grounds, shopping in 5 towns, and watching the planes land in Woodmere park. The Rosedalian legacy continues... without the racial prejudice. How cooool is that! Rosedale was great growing up but with the excepting of the NYC public school system... it's better now that it was in the 70's. A loving place to raise children... and grandchildren where everyone looks out for each other.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,157 times
Before it was Ferruccis it was Ferdinands. Sivvy Manfrelottis father owned it.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:30 AM

14 posts, read 31,302 times
Wow I still live in Rosedale!I,m 30 Some of the things mentioned haven't changed at all. We still call it town, Brookville is a little better new playground and all, snake road is much wider than it was before and it's opening wider to the swamp area, SOns of Italy used to have all those carnivals I loved to attend, I also went to St. Pius X school unfortunately it's closed and is called another name, but the church is still there! Aww the memories

Old 08-21-2010, 10:52 AM

669 posts, read 1,120,761 times
Wow some of the blatant racism by the 'old white guard' (former residents of Rosedale) in this thread is amazing. I can tell you right now the elderly white people that have remained in Rosedale are safer than the few black families that used to live in Rosedale when whites made up the vast majority.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Does anyone remember Manny's candy store, up the block from St. Clares Church.

He was a good man. His wife was nice too!
Yes, I remember Mannys very well! I lived on the other side of Rosedale from 1955 to 1981. I used to ride my bike to Mannys all the time with my sister and friends just to buy the penny candy. We also used to stop there on the way to the Laurelton Theater on Merrick Road just to buy the penny candy.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM147thRd View Post
Just like Tami said, we used to go to Marty's all the time and got in line for our slices of bologna. I remember Betty's as well. What was the name of the German deli right next door to Marty's on one side and the Post Office on the other??

The German Deli was called "Heinz's". I remember it very well. The owner had all his children work in the deli -- I remember that the daughter's name was Heidi. My mother used to send me to the other deli that was closer to Bambi's -- first it was called "Lorenzan's" (the owner was a bald guy). Then it became "Gunther's"-- he did more than sell "deli" items out of his store! After that, it became Dominick's Meat Market.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsavelli View Post
I just found this site and some of you might even know me by the car that I drove it was a green Javelin that I raced around and stayed at Green Arces Bowling Alley. I lived on 148th Drive and Huxley and stayed with Claude, Louis. Rosedale to me was the BEST time in my life and I wish I could go back, the people that live there now will NEVER know the GOOD TIMES that went on in the little Ranch style houses there and all the Good times we all had. But I have a question does anyone remember when Springfield Blvd was opened all the way to Rockaway Blvd like Brookville Blvd is today? I can remember a very old small 2 or 3 story hotel something out of a western but made of stucco with pull down shades and round bowling balls on the porch and every time my parents passed it they would speak Italian so I would not no what was going on and then one day it was just knocked down and the road was closed soon after, must have been about 1961. I finally asked my dad what was all the secret stuff about and he told me it was a old well known **** house going way back. He was a cop so I guess he found out. Does anyone know for sure or remember it? Also I thought the Pizza Place in Green Acres was called THE GOLDEN CRUST when it 1st opened. This is my 1st post and would love to hear from anyone out there, I married Nancy Borgesano who live on 147th near Franics Lewis. I knew the Munsons, Crazy Mike, Mike Grato, Ronnie Pepitone, Dennis Morgan, the Bruno brothers I can go on and on drop me a line.

I remember you and your family very well! You lived in the house with the jockey holding the lantern, right? I lived on Huxley Street and 148th Avenue in the corner house. I remember your father's motor scooter and the whirley bird ride that you had in your backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City