U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-16-2011, 05:06 AM

8 posts, read 19,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Rosedale View Post
I lived on Huxley Street between Brookville Blvd and the crazy 5 corners. I have been sitting here for on hour reading all these posts from Rosedale - what a trip down memory lane.

I moved in 1986 to Pennsylvania and I was broken hearted and never thought I would ever get over moving away from my friends in Rosedale - Jeanne Henderson, June Mullowney, Barbara Gorman, Nancy Alvarez, Dina LaRocca, Deluca sisters, Jeanine LaGrecca, Maureen Rogers, Danielle Imbriani, Billy & George Hopkins, Mark Castellano, Angelo Reda, Angelo Coscia, Tommy Danetti, Ralph Divino, John Jordan, Linda Carfora, Lisa Carlucci, Angela Guilizia, Cynthia Pulio, Jennifer Fiorello, Mike Bale, Vinny Martin, and the biggest crush I ever had in my life... Frankie Dioguardi. I guess I could go on for hours writing down names. There were the groups at 195, 138 then of course the Newhall Crew that rotated all over between Newhall and 243rd, to the Pizza Place, St. Pius schoolyard, etc...

So now as an adult and a Mom with 3 boys - I understand why my parents moved us out of NY - I wonder all the time what my life would have been like if we never left. But I am ever so grateful that I got to spend 17 years in Rosedale - I have the best memories of my childhood.

I work for the US Air Force (since 1993)- I am a civilian employee but due to the career field I move around as much as the active duty. We have had some great assignments, Nebraska, Florida, Germany, South Korea, Okinawa, Japan, Washington DC and now San Antonio, Texas.

I was in Rosedale in 2004 - I drove my kids around, showed them as much as possible - my oldest son said "mom, you grew up in the ghetto?" I wanted to strangle him - our kids are so spoiled today, unfortunately because we move just about every 2 to 3 years my kids will never, ever understand the childhood I experienced.

I have some great pictures from the 80's - I'll pull them out this weekend and start posting them.

I was able to find a few people a few years ago (Barbara Gorman and Linda Carfora) but I was in South Korea then and I lost touch. I would love to hear from anyone, I would really like to find June Mullowney and Jeanne Henderson.

Cheers!
Jennifer Therriat-Caracciola
Jennifer--I grew up on the corner of Huxley and 147th (the corner of the 5 crazy corners). How many times did the Q5A drive through my fence making that crazy turnaround!! I think I remember you but you were a little younger than me. Rosedale was the best place to grow up. I still go there every weekend as my Mom is still there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM147thRd View Post
Just like Tami said, we used to go to Marty's all the time and got in line for our slices of bologna. I remember Betty's as well. What was the name of the German deli right next door to Marty's on one side and the Post Office on the other??
The deli was Heinz's deli. All the Maloneys worked there at some point. My mom worked there a little while.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett26 View Post
I grew up in Rosedale from 1962 to 1986, then moved to Massapequa, the 2 stores were Bohack and Mets Foods when I was there, I believe Mets then became Keyfood. Should know I walked there every day. Miss Rosedale alot. Great Times and Memories
Hey there. I was in Rosedale from 1964 to 1995 and am in Massapequa too. Lots of ex-Rosedale in Massapequa.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:50 PM

26 posts, read 49,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlue0229 View Post
Wasn't that icecream truck called The Roman Carousel?
ERNIES Roman Carousel was on 243rd st in town.
Best italian salumeria in Queens.
Anyone remember the pickle and the snail barrel near the counter?
MADDOG35

Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 AM

33 posts, read 67,412 times
Default Some more names and memories

I graduated from St. Clare's in 1967. I knew Matt Hahn (class of '68), Ronnie Demonarco, Tim and Danny Lakin, Eddie Amari, Barbara Sozansky, Tom and Danny Massetti, Joey Crocker, Mike Selvaggio, John Savaslian, Richie Meatloaf, Tommy Fontanelli, Mikey Peppitone, Keith and Kenny Cocco, Marie Wren, Rosemary Crandall, Mike Pratt, Billy Duffy, Michael Duffy, Gregory Taffuri, Crazy Mike, the gully in Brookville Park, the sprinkler for the kids in the Brookville Park playground, Donald Sweeney and Ruth Beham (?), Mary Furtaw, etc., etc., etc. Hello to All who might know me.
I also knew Killane's, McCabe's, Mulvaney's (all Irish-isn't that odd?), and the Rosedale Tavern. I remember going under the Rosedale Station and placing pennies on the track so the train would squash them flat. Danny's cab rides were suicide missions. Manny of the Candy Store fame was always cursing "that damn Mayor Wagner". He made the best chocolate malteds I have ever tasted to this day, bar none. He used only Breyers Ice Cream, Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup and a malt powder that I can't find anywhere. They were served in those paper cone cups set in a cast metal base, which added a particular bouquet that is as fresh in my mind as it ever was. J&S square pizza was (maybe still is) renowned as the best in the known universe. Great pizza, like good bourbon, can only be diminished by adding anything to it.
Enough for now...I'll save some for later.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:34 AM

Three cheers for dear SCS!
On all Long Island, we are the best!
Scholars, athletes-we always try
Ou-ur school spirit will never die!

We will remember all we were taught
For education cannot be bought
Once again we say Three Cheers
For St. Clares, the best of all

Old 12-26-2011, 08:46 AM

Hey John,
Stoop ball and A's Up? Oh yeah. Also Ringalevio and Johnny Ride the Pony, some great full contact games.The three main candy stores were Manny's and Ely"s on Francis Lewis Blvd. and Rosie's on Hook Creek Blvd. Of course you lived on the "other side" of Rosedale, so you probably never ventured to my side, between the LIRR and Merrick Road. Then there was the part of Rosedale north of Merrick Rd. bounded by Merrick, Ocean Ave. and Brookville Blvd., where no one but the residents ever ventured to. No candy stores there. The only action was J&S Pizza and the Big A Diner.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Default the Trewitt murder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosedale 66 View Post
Does anyone remember the Truitt murder in the 60's? Brother killed younger sister in her bedroom. I went to S.C.S. with all the Truitts. Tragic. The one charged in the murder died young. I think shortly after being released from detention.
Wow! This was the most awful event in my personal memory. I had been a close friend of Mike Trewitt. This was a strange and demonic kid, although it took a while for it all to sink in. A brief history of Mike: In about the 5th grade at S.C.S., the entire school, in several groups, was summoned to the cafeteria to be addressed by a police detective regarding an organized theft ring. Someone who knew the collection days for tuition money, (from St. Pius X parish) lunch money and milk money, where to look in the classrooms, and who had keys to the locked doors, was stealing the money on a regular basis. A police investigation was being conducted, and we were assured that the culprit would be apprehended and prosecuted. Serious stuff. I later learned, from the horses mouth, that it was Michael. As an altar boy, he had stolen the keys from the room behind the altar (I forget what it's called), and could open at least half of the doors in the school. At lunchtime he would boldly prowl the halls, form classroom to classroom, stealing the money.

He once instructed me on how to empty the poorboxes in the church. He used a 5/16" open end wrench for some and a 5/16 hex wrench for the others. He would enter the church and proceed to latch all the doors shut from the inside. Then he would go to work. If someone tried to enter from one door, he would swiftly exit from a door at the opposite end of the church.

Shortly after telling me his secret, he was caught by Father Beliveau. I have no idea how the Father knew it was Mike, but I think he was lured to a sack of coins left in a confessional (Mike also checked all the confessionals to make certain that he was alone at his work).
Some months later, Mike's house was set on fire, but it was extinguished quickly by his brother. The fire started in the basement, at night, with the entire family at home, asleep. Mike slept in the basement.

The house was set ablaze a second time, in a similar manner, and some substantial damage was done to the basement, but the FDNY put it out before the house was destroyed, and no one was hurt. His parents still didn't see a problem with their son, and sought to blame others, including myself, for his antisocial behaviors. I don't remember if it was before or after the second arson attempt, both attempts of which Mike later admitted to me he was responsible for, but one day Mike, myself and one other kid, I don't remember who, were riding our bikes through Valley Stream. Mike didn't have a bike, so he rode on my seat while I stood up to pedal. Suddenly he jumped off the bike and ran up the front walk of a house where several bikes were parked near the stoop. Before I knew it, he hopped on a bike and took off. He was gone in a flash and while I was trying to figure out what to do next, about 10 kids came streaming out the front door. Suddenly, I knew what to do. I took off for home. I had a good lead on them and widened that lead as I fled, but one kid saw which driveway I rode into, and he brought them all down on my house. Luckily, they were not inclined to violence, but I led them into the yard. There was the bike, where Mike had dropped it just before he hopped over the back fence and took off. He was gone for three days. His parents blamed me for all, and I was forbidden to see him ever again. After all, it couldn't have been Mike's fault, could it?

At some point, due to one of the transgressions mentioned, Mike was confined to the house indefinitely, except to go to school. Both parents worked, and Mike's Grandmother kept house in their absence. Mike came downstairs to the kitchen and asked his grandmother if he could go to Merrick Rd. to buy bread. She agreed, gave him some money, and he left, not to return.When his seven-year-old sister did not respond to calls for dinner, a search of the house was conducted. She was found stuffed under a bed, with eight stab wounds in the chest and her throat slit four times.

I was not permitted to attend the funeral, which is just as well since it was so heartbreaking.

The court found Mike to be insane and he was committed to the Mental Ill Detention Facility at Creedmoor Hospital on Union Turnpike.
I visited him there on two or three occasions, until he was released at the age of about 19. I saw him one time after his released. He was extremely sad and depressed, nothing like his ebullient former self. About six months later, he went into his garage, closed the doors, opened the car windows and started the engine.

These are the facts as I remember them, though some of the details may be at variance. Michael and Nancy, Rest In Peace.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Oh, boy! Sister Agnes Roberta was one sick puppy. a hateful person. Discipline should always be tempered with compassion, but she knew nothing of such things. I had her in the 7th grade. She was the reason that Joe Restivo, a really good guy, was yanked from St. Clare"s and transferred to Parts Unknown (I think that's a real place).

Old 12-26-2011, 12:58 PM

To jeanmoe,
That wouldn't be Violet Hofer, would it? If it was, I knew her, her sister Debbie, but mainly her brother Steve, who was a great friend for many years. I'd love to see him again today.
Let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City