Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:09 PM

49 posts, read 90,006 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm new to this board, but have been reading along for a while now. I plan on coming to NY for the second time and am wondering how Plymouth Street in DUMBO is at night. It looks pretty deserted on Streetview.

There's a place I could rent for two weeks on that street and once or twice I would be coming in late. (But never after midnight).

I've been to NY once before and think I'm pretty street smart (have been reading that thread too) and have felt fine everywhere, but obviously I don't want to put myself in danger.

I'm a Dutch white woman and will be traveling alone.

Also looking into Canal street (two bridges) and Hester street as other options to stay.

I'm not in New York to spend all my time in Manhattan. The whole Friends and Sex & the City lifestyle is not what appeals me. Of course while being in NY for two weeks, I'll def spend time in Manhattan, but am also interested in Brooklyn, Queens (food), Bronx (Cloisters, Yankee stadium), Harlem (around 125th) and Coney Island.

Any tips regarding Plymouth street and the other areas I've mentioned... very welcome. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:21 PM

979 posts, read 4,439,538 times
I live on Front street, 2 blocks away. You should be fine. Just don't make too much noise coming home with your wooden clogs late at night we might not hear the subway on the bridge.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:58 PM

270 posts, read 747,294 times
Lmao ..I'm actually moving to Dumbo tomorrow with my wife and 2 kids ..on Washington street...luckily the windows they installed are quadruple pane thickness..basically air tight.. very faint sound from the train thankfully. Also from what I have seen ..the neighborhood looks safe.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:09 PM

Thanks! I'll try not to let my wooden shoes wake the whole neighborhood.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:38 PM

449 posts, read 874,061 times
Let me introduced you to the SAFEST BOROUGH of NYC: Staten Island: Although every one of the other boroughs has something special to offer.

It has a suburban feeling, although it can be urban in certain areas, and only about 500,000 people, and because of this, plus the fact that it is slightly more isolated because it is an ISLAND, it has been considered by the New York transplants, as "El Patito Feo," "The Ugly Duckling," which is a misnomer, because it is the NEWEST borough in terms of housing, and far from ugly. It has beautiful mansions everywhere.

It has greenbelts galore, beaches, hills, parks, lakes, deers, wild turkeys, roosters, museums, and a multitude of Salumerias and Boutiques, plus a multitude of stores of every kind. It is the place where Rick Schroeder and Cristina Aguilera were born, plus it has been the dynasty of the Vanderbilts and the Outerbridge families for centuries.

There is multitude of local transportation, along with the S.I. Railroad, plus Express buses to Manhattan and Brooklyn. No Subways. But the best part of all: The Ferry to Downtown Manhattan is only 20 minutes away......and FREE! Here is something to help you along: Good-luck during your visit, and as a woman travelling alone, be always aware of your surroundings, and the people you trust, no matter where you may be.

Staten Island Borough President's Office

Old 06-04-2011, 09:12 PM

18,359 posts, read 31,435,589 times
Staten Island is very conjested, don't let anyone fool you. I lived there my whole childhood. Hylan Blvd has more traffic than 4th Ave in Brooklyn.

The bridge toll, even with the e-z pass reduction is still a lot of money. Plus it is a PITA to cross over every day.

All the new townhouses they are building are just glorified row houses with windows just in the front and back, and all built on top of each other, maybe a slightly better version of Brooklyn, slightly. True there are also beautiful mansions in different areas, but the bulk of the housing is cookie cutter fedders style.....

Old 06-04-2011, 09:15 PM

18,359 posts, read 31,435,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulator View Post
Lmao ..I'm actually moving to Dumbo tomorrow with my wife and 2 kids ..on Washington street...luckily the windows they installed are quadruple pane thickness..basically air tight.. very faint sound from the train thankfully. Also from what I have seen ..the neighborhood looks safe.

but when you open them, and I am assuming that at some point the windows will be open????? you will hear noise from the train rumbling from above....

but that is just part of what makes DUMBO, DUMBO.....the trains rumbling across......I would imagine after a while it would become sorta like white noise........and the residents probably dont even hear it......as we live down the block from the el at 86th, and pay it no mind

Old 06-05-2011, 12:58 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,544,928 times
The trains that run across the bridge are pretty noisy, especially at night. Would it be a deal breaker for me? No way, the view of the city from Brooklyn Bridge Park at night cancels that out and then some.

I'd avoid the areas adjacent to the housing projects you run into if you get off the F Train at York St. and walk east. At night anyway. During the day there's nothing to worry about.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks everybody for your replies!

Anyone got any ideas on Canal and Hester street too?
I know that the census on Canal is in general quite negative, from smells to urban decay, but anything besides that?

Old 06-05-2011, 04:45 PM

449 posts, read 874,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Staten Island is very conjested, don't let anyone fool you. I lived there my whole childhood. Hylan Blvd has more traffic than 4th Ave in Brooklyn.

The bridge toll, even with the e-z pass reduction is still a lot of money. Plus it is a PITA to cross over every day.

All the new townhouses they are building are just glorified row houses with windows just in the front and back, and all built on top of each other, maybe a slightly better version of Brooklyn, slightly. True there are also beautiful mansions in different areas, but the bulk of the housing is cookie cutter fedders style.....
If you want to live well, and don't have to worry about someone hitting you over the head, you will have to pay. It is congested the closer you will get to the Ferry or the Verrazano Bridge, yes, but from Richmond Avenue to Tottenville, it is not. Nor it is congested in many of the hill areas that have great homes. It is congested in the North Shore, and parts of the South Shore. It all depends how much one is willing to spend. If one wants space, one has to pay for it. I will say it is a much , much better version than Brooklyn, or any of the other boroughs. Come on down to the South Shore, and see all the beautiful homes. It has homes in every price range, one can possibly imaging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City